Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike cleaning topic

Bike
    Yamaha R3

Blah Bike cleaning topic

Hi guys, I am new to here and also newbie of riding.

Recently I am looking for a cleaning product to clean my bike, it's Yamaha R3, I found the product that called MOTOMUCK from Trademe.
    After I did some research, some of you guys are using Dynamo. I am not sure is it safe for the bikes? And does it works well as the bike cleaner?

Making sure is this the one? https://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/Pr...shing%20powder

My friend recommend me to use Muc-Off, but that shit is quite expensive.

Newbie need you guys help.

Bike
    A
    There's quite a few choices, and as long as you stay away from the Sunlight dishwash, think neutral detergent basically.

Look at CT18 from Chemwash, available at Repco and Supercheap.

Or try Grapewash from Pacer.

Both are cost effective and kind to your paintwork while still cleaning thoroughly.

Beyond that the main ingredient is elbow grease and a selection of brushes and sponges. Oh and save the water blaster to clean your driveway obviously...

Bike
    S1000RR
    IMO the ones with "Motorcycle specific wash formulae" are marketing bull crap. Cars are made of metal and plastic, bikes are also made out of metal and plastic.

Get a cheap big bottle car wash from Supercheap or Repco. Sometimes I also mix a little Bar's Bug Windscreen Cleaner to clean off bugs during spring/ summer.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    z800
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    IMO the ones with "Motorcycle specific wash formulae" are marketing bull crap. Cars are made of metal and plastic, bikes are also made out of metal and plastic.

Get a cheap big bottle car wash from Supercheap or Repco.

This, don't need know fancy shit.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    MotoMuck is great on dirt bikes, but is bloody dear. The Dynamo trick I worry about-works well but I think it leaves a corrosive residue in hard to rinse and dry places.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Dynamo. Great stuff. Use it in my waterblaster (has a dispenser bottle) on all sorts of gear including the house, windows, car, motorhome and dirtbike. Stay away from sensitive areas like wheel and swingarm bearings because water in there will bugger them. Use it in a bucket with warm water with a brush on the road bikes and classics. Rinse off well and dry with a rag or chamois. Beats the hell out all those expensive cleaners that just simply cost more.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Yep just use meguirs car wahs tuff, big litre bottle on special quite often. Spray waxes are great, easier to use and lost long tiome.
    Use metal polish to clean up a tired looking clear Perspex screen, water marks on mirros and petrified dry bugs in summer.
    If need degreaser on your wheels for chain lube etc spray that first while bike dry then soapy water.
    NEVER use water blasters unless you like replacing swingarma nd wheel bearings often
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Yep just use meguirs car wahs tuff, big litre bottle on special quite often.
    Yep (I think.) That's what I use.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    And don't just use wax on the paintwork, use it on your engine too cos it's covered in clear lacquer or silver paint that needs just as much protection from sun and rain and dust.

Use metal polish to clean up a tired looking clear Perspex screen
    Never tried that! But my current screen is polycarb so that might be a bit soft for metal polish maybe? What do you reckon?

A mate of mine who was in the RNZAF always uses pledge furniture polish on his screens cos that's what they used on the choppers. Works ok too.
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    ... But my current screen is polycarb so that might be a bit soft for metal polish maybe? What do you reckon?

A mate of mine who was in the RNZAF always uses pledge furniture polish on his screens cos that's what they used on the choppers. Works ok too.
    You could try a wee bit of toothpaste in an out-of-the-way spot and see how that goes...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    And don't just use wax on the paintwork, use it on your engine too cos it's covered in clear lacquer or silver paint that needs just as much protection from sun and rain and dust.

Never tried that! But my current screen is polycarb so that might be a bit soft for metal polish maybe? What do you reckon?

+1 Good stuff for buffing clear and shiny parts. Cheap, too. A can in the garage seems to last forever. Mine is rusty and still squirting.

I use generic car shampoo on the whole bike but I have yet to find a detergent that gets rid of oil residue from the chain and sprockets. I get anal with a toothbrush and kero to get rid of that spooge. I get anal first, then shampoo the bike.

After anal and a shampoo I take the bike for a wee ride to dry it off and then give it a bit of polish and detailing.

Being old, I'm a big fan of Solvol Autosol for polishing my exposed and unprotected alloy parts. It has a lustrous gleam when applied and removed with vigour.

Toothpaste is a very fine abrasive which is good for softer, clear plastics, but newspaper is cheap and just as effective. A bit like me....

I avoid water blasting the bikes not because of potential damage to me greasy bits but more because getting your hands on the bike is a form of maintenance. It's amazing what you notice needs attention when your getting anal with a toothbrush.

Oh. Don't use your own toothbrush.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Oh. Don't use your own toothbrush.
    How about wife's?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Whose wife?

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    While we're on the topic of bike washing...

Has anybody had any experience with foam gun washing?

I had a little go with a cheap alternative but failed miserably. Does anybody know a cheap way to do this?

THE FOUR RULES OF EXPLORING THIS AMAZING COUNTRY OF NZ
    RIDE SAFE, RIDE HARD, RIDE FREE

and try not sound so route 51 american brudda

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I use xt88. This is what the local truckers all use. It goes in the waterblaster dispenser and foams on. Then give it a good swirl around with a soft brush and we're done. Note, no one cleaner is going to do everything, ie, tar spots, chain grease etc, but this is as good as motomuck. It is on trademe I believe, but I get it from the seller, take back my 4l container and pay $20. Also use it in a spray bottle for cleaning the shower, is odourless so works for me!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information