Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha XJR 1300 Sport

Bike
    NONE CURRENTLY

Yamaha XJR 1300 Sport

Hi all ! Iv'e just joined this forum. I have been riding bikes for a few years.Started with a Yamaha YB 100,then bought a Honda CB 350 . SOME years and a family later got a CX 500 . Now i am looking at a Yamaha XJR 1300 Sport . A bit of a leap yes and i prefer the retro look. Does anyone own one and what are they like ? Most forums and reviews seem pretty positive, but yet to speak with someone who owns one. Any feedback welcome.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
    Hi all ! Iv'e just joined this forum. I have been riding bikes for a few years.Started with a Yamaha YB 100,then bought a Honda CB 350 . SOME years and a family later got a CX 500 . Now i am looking at a Yamaha XJR 1300 Sport . A bit of a leap yes and i prefer the retro look. Does anyone own one and what are they like ? Most forums and reviews seem pretty positive, but yet to speak with someone who owns one. Any feedback welcome.
    Not an XJR but owned and did a lot of miles on it's 'original' the FJ1200. The motor is a peach. It's torquey, silky smooth, all but bullet proof and will give huge mileage if looked after.
    Issues on that motor is 2nd gear if it's been thrashed a lot, it can/may jump out when accelerating hard. Otherwise? It's a good solid dependable unit.

I currently own a CB1300, which is the Honda equivalent {retro/muscle bike} don't expect sports bike performance or handling from any of this type {retro} they are hefty beasts. Although believe me they are substantially better than the bikes of yore they represent. You'll need to learn to 'touring corner' rather than sportbike cornering. They are all 'lazy' power, over 40-50kph just leave in top gear and twist the throttle.

comfortable, long distance bikes with oodles of usable and sensible power, it's right where you want it... overtaking cars at road speeds.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Great machine, the Bro's had two of them.

Great engine, as GW says, and the suspension is reasonable quality so while the handling is appropriately lazy they're a pleasure to ride.

Good luck with the purchase.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Anyone know why NZ isn't getting the "new" XJR? I loved the look of them when they were announced 2-3 years ago, but they never hit the dealerships here.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Buy my GSX http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1325835248.htm

Like GrayWolf, I also once owned a CB1300 and concur with his sentiments about the bike. I regretted selling it.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Buy my GSX http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1325835248.htm

Like GrayWolf, I also once own a CXB1300 and concur with his sentiments about the bike. I regretted selling it.
    That's a lot of bike for the money. I had the older 750 and loved it. The 1400 is a significant step up in pretty much every way. Keeping white wheels clean must suck though.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
    Hi from the Coromandel! Often pass through Mangatangi on my way to Auckland. Like you, I've developed a liking for the naked "retro" look and if you see a matt grey GSX-S1000 passing through, it'll be me!

Good luck with your search

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Hi XJR great bike bullet proof motor and monster torque.

If your looking for a cheaper option I have a FJ1200 for sale great bike owned it for 8 years but cant justify having 3 bikes in garage

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1334677093.htm

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Rode an FJR tourer recently. If I was replacing my 1200RT it's the bike I'd buy.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Something in this class that is well worth a look.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1325835248.htm

Bike
    04 GSXR 1000
    Blog Entries
    Hello Bagpipe! Welcome!

Got as far as sitting on one of these, was very nice and upright. No pressure on the wrists unlike in the aggressive sports riding position. They seem to have a fair bit of power, haven't heard anyone say a bad word for this model as yet. Easy to get your leg over and plenty of room for a pillion.

Things you should consider before purchasing a bike is the type of riding you'll be doing, distances, and how often. Will it be more of a daily / few times a week commuter bike or more for recreation riding?

What kind of roads do you prefer? lots of twisties or big straights, bit of both? Some bikes handle far better than others when it comes to cornering,

The technology of bikes has come a fair way since the models you mentioned, not so 'primal' thesedays due to ABS brakes, better suspension and dual rubber compounds in tires.

Watch out for that Maha guy on here, I cant find words to describe him.......yet

As for bagpipes.....anything sexy under that kilt of yours????
    My bass is such a slapper.......I cant stop fingering those strings

Bike
    NONE CURRENTLY
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Not an XJR but owned and did a lot of miles on it's 'original' the FJ1200. The motor is a peach. It's torquey, silky smooth, all but bullet proof and will give huge mileage if looked after.
    Issues on that motor is 2nd gear if it's been thrashed a lot, it can/may jump out when accelerating hard. Otherwise? It's a good solid dependable unit.

I currently own a CB1300, which is the Honda equivalent {retro/muscle bike} don't expect sports bike performance or handling from any of this type {retro} they are hefty beasts. Although believe me they are substantially better than the bikes of yore they represent. You'll need to learn to 'touring corner' rather than sportbike cornering. They are all 'lazy' power, over 40-50kph just leave in top gear and twist the throttle.

comfortable, long distance bikes with oodles of usable and sensible power, it's right where you want it... overtaking cars at road speeds.
    Thanks for that info.I guess they're not called muscle bikes for nothing.I did read where the 1200's jumped out of 2nd gear.This bike has done 34,000 Kms and is 2003 so maybe that issue has been sorted ? It's been a while since i've ridden a bike and the last was a Harley for 1 day only. But i take your point about the handling thanks.

Bike
    NONE CURRENTLY
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Rode an FJR tourer recently. If I was replacing my 1200RT it's the bike I'd buy.
    That's good to hear,thanks.

Bike
    NONE CURRENTLY
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Hi from the Coromandel! Often pass through Mangatangi on my way to Auckland. Like you, I've developed a liking for the naked "retro" look and if you see a matt grey GSX-S1000 passing through, it'll be me!

Good luck with your search
    Thanks Blackbird. I think the the new Honda CB 1100'S look cool, but yeah the price and i'll have to admit the Yamaha looks rather staunch.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyhawk View Post
    Hello Bagpipe! Welcome!

Got as far as sitting on one of these, was very nice and upright. No pressure on the wrists unlike in the aggressive sports riding position. They seem to have a fair bit of power, haven't heard anyone say a bad word for this model as yet. Easy to get your leg over and plenty of room for a pillion.

Things you should consider before purchasing a bike is the type of riding you'll be doing, distances, and how often. Will it be more of a daily / few times a week commuter bike or more for recreation riding?

What kind of roads do you prefer? lots of twisties or big straights, bit of both? Some bikes handle far better than others when it comes to cornering,

The technology of bikes has come a fair way since the models you mentioned, not so 'primal' thesedays due to ABS brakes, better suspension and dual rubber compounds in tires.

Watch out for that Maha guy on here, I cant find words to describe him.......yet

As for bagpipes.....anything sexy under that kilt of yours????
    Actually, Marty from Waiuku (Jafar you must know him) has an XJR in his possession, he may sell it. It's red but that's not the end of the world.

Thread Information