Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'ol putting the bike on hold trick......

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    I was late putting on hold and the hold starts from the date it is actually put on hold it does not get back dated
    Just found that myself.

It does seem to be a bit of a double standard, that expired rego gets backdated to when it ran out, but the hold starts from today not when it ran out.

If you've got plenty of demerits to play with it does actually make sense to just take your chances with a system that skewed against you.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Worthy to note that there are 10 demerits for having an expired licence label.

Also that there are 15 for using a vehicle with the reg on hold.

Just sayin.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    registration = tax. Government comes down hard on tax evasion (unless you're a millionaire who donates to the national party)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Also note that you can put the rego on hold after the license expires and not have to pay for the whole period. It's at least 2 months, and might be longer.

I mention this because the fine and demerits for an expired rego are less than if it's on hold. The downside is that the hold period starts from when you apply.

I read somewhere that on average, well over half of the motorbikes registered in NZ are on hold.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Suzuki M109R

Cool

It's june now and my rego runs out on the 20th.....I'm trying to get to a place where I can reg my bike for 6 months from say Nov to April....and then put it on hold for the 6 months covering winter......May thru Oct..... If I put it on hold now for 6 momths...and re register in November....(five months into my six month hold) will the date of new reg in Nov be the start date of my rego year.... ? So then I can do six months about? Sorry if I come across as a bit thick but I have been out of two wheels for some time and have not kept up with the workarounds.....Now I have gone nuts and am riding an M109R......$522 per yr when it will not be used (much) during winter, due to old age and infirmity..seems like it needs to be worked around....

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Just sayin.
    NZTA says 15 and 20.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Pist'n'broke View Post
    It's june now and my rego runs out on the 20th.....I'm trying to get to a place where I can reg my bike for 6 months from say Nov to April....and then put it on hold for the 6 months covering winter......May thru Oct..... If I put it on hold now for 6 momths...and re register in November....(five months into my six month hold) will the date of new reg in Nov be the start date of my rego year.... ? So then I can do six months about? Sorry if I come across as a bit thick but I have been out of two wheels for some time and have not kept up with the workarounds.....Now I have gone nuts and am riding an M109R......$522 per yr when it will not be used (much) during winter, due to old age and infirmity..seems like it needs to be worked around....
    Why not just put it on hold for 5 months? You can do any period between 3 months and 12 months. Just checked NZTA online and it lets you choose in 1 month increments.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Its surprising the logic of giving demerits for documentation offences has not been legally challenged as I am sure the intention of demerits were for offences committed as a result of actual driving/riding.
    conformation you're fuckin mentally challenged

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    NZTA says 15 and 20.
    They increased the demerits and reduced the fine a few years ago. Not sure what the logic is when motorbike rego is about 3 times the fines.

If you don't get stopped for a traffic offence, you are very unlikely to be caught by the police. I've been stopped at 2 checkpoints in the last 12 months and waved straight through.

You do have to watch that you don't park where parking wardens are active.

Bike
    Your the mentally challenged one because having no registration on your vehicle is not going to kill anyone but comitting an actual driving/riding offence could.
    you're mentally retarded dumb fuck, rastas was meaning if your caught using a vehicle with the reg on hold or expired reg label.

Get back to sunnyside...they shouldn't let halfwits like you out on day release

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pist'n'broke View Post
    Put the bike on-hold for 4 months - until 20th October.

Then licence for 6 months - through to 20th April. Or until you wish to put on-hold for the winter, say 20th May.

Just thinking aloud...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Some of you people might be too young. I can remember the top Police and Transport guys, probably also a Minister, announcing that we were going to have breath testing but nobody would ever be breath tested unless there was evidence that their driving was impaired. Almost immediately it transpired that a cracked tail light was evidence of alcohol impairment. Then they decided they didn't need to bother with that and that they could just breath test anybody anytime.

Originally Periodic Detention was for low level mainly non-violent offending. No more, there's some seriously bad bastards doing PD now. Same with home detention, that was never going to be used for violent offenders. Yeah right!

And so demerits were only to be used for driving offences. Until some shiny arse decided otherwise. There's a pattern there.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    At last someone who rememebrs the original intent of demerits. The poster who called me a foul name was possibly in diapers when demerits were only for driving and not registration offences as well.
    And least the majority of us grew out of diapers unlike yourself!

And in regards to Pritch's post....almost text book to why the oldman left the Ministry of Transport because he pulled up a car for that exact reason and upon coming to the driver's door could smell the alcohol & shit...yep the arsehole had shit himself & was rolling drunk behind the wheel and was a High Court Judge....the case went to court and the whole lot was tried to be swept under the carpet & hidden just because of who the offender was and the connections the prick had...corruption ran deep in those circles for many years.
    Still have the prosecution papers and makes for interesting reading

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Just sayin.
    Worthy to note that the penalty for having an expired licence label is having to pay back to when it last expired when you relicence.

The fine is still cheaper than paying the licence fee for 3 months, and I'm not a dick on the road so the demerits aren't an issue.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    If you get caught with the rego expired, then you can renew it and have the ticket cancelled as long as it's not too long overdue..

Obviously, you can't do that if the rego is on hold.

Thread Information