Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router Thingymabob

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    yeah well, when the solar flare and polar shift, i'll be comms on my tincans and string while you're scratching your balls cos the wifi derpderp.
    Nope - RFC1149 Bitch.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Nope - RFC1149 Bitch.
    lol cunt.
    nerd joke. had to websearch it

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Not really. Some Drayteks like the Vigor120 and 130 have been available for years, price doesn't fluctuate much.

Depends where you're buying, give us the link. No point me recommending something the distributor is carrying, but you can't buy.
    probably here, had good run with this outfit https://www.ascent.co.nz/search.aspx?q=draytek

Also get discount through work at leemings.....

Another question... ISP who to go with, any to avoid?
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    probably here, had good run with this outfit https://www.ascent.co.nz/search.aspx?q=draytek

WxC. all others are poo.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

First thing is probably wireless. If N is sufficient, then you can spend less, but if you want AC and have a lot of devices on wireless wanting bandwidth it's probably a better choice. I cable anything needing bandwidth on the internal network and live with cheaper slower wireless.

ISP, there are about 170 in NZ. Easiest is what works for you. If you're gaming, some ISPs might suit better, I'd avoid the cheapest simply because they use crappy peering meaning more hops, higher latency, that sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Went with Slingshots free supplied modem/roputer for now, getting installed Monday will see how it goes.... VDSL

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Went with Slingshots free supplied modem/roputer for now, getting installed Monday will see how it goes.... VDSL
    And its been routing and modeming its way ok. What was annoying though is that they 'book' a date to connect you and no one even visits the property, they must just flick a switch or press a button at the exchange, hit enter on keyboard or something, WTF is up with that. Why did a have to 'wait' to be connected when its seems there's no physical act carried out at property aside form modem arriving in mail....

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    And its been routing and modeming its way ok. What was annoying though is that they 'book' a date to connect you and no one even visits the property, they must just flick a switch or press a button at the exchange, hit enter on keyboard or something, WTF is up with that. Why did a have to 'wait' to be connected when its seems there's no physical act carried out at property aside form modem arriving in mail....
    "provisioning"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the exchange. Don't know if they're still in the upgrade process, but yes, the latest gen are all controlled from the office, older ones need a street visit to patch through the pair, and then any wiring issues need an on-site visit.

Don't worry, I've ordered 2x DSL tails for a customer on the same site (and a few cm apart) and had them scheduled for a Tues and Thurs. Figure that out
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Back in the grim dark days when I worked for TCLol - they artificially push provisioning out by a few days in order to have enough capacity to attend emergency faults/provisioning. It's to do with Chorus and their SLAs.

It's something like Emergency phone provisioning (IE someone has a St John or Medical alarm at a new premises) > Normal phone provisioning > Anything Data Related

Gremlin is also correct that sometimes they need to do more than just flick a switch, sometimes they need to do a full cable trace (especially is the ASID that should be connected to the premises isn't)
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Fastest I ever got DSL provisioned? 2hrs. Slowest Fibre? 18 months.

Pretty much everything is somewhere between that

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Also they tried to say you need to pay $250 for a chorus techy to check out if you have extra extension sockets (have 3) and an alarm with dialler.
    Ferk that, skipped and no issues.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Strange things can cause delays.

Three adjacent houses including mine had requests in for fibre, nowt was happening. One neighbour enquired and was told that the old wooden pole they were going to use would need to be replaced sometime in future, and they didn't want to have to do the work twice. Then they found out that the pole was actually owned by Powerco so they said something like, "Fuck it, Powerco's problem", and did the three connections - in six separate visits.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Also they tried to say you need to pay $250 for a chorus techy to check out if you have extra extension sockets (have 3) and an alarm with dialler.
    Ferk that, skipped and no issues.
    With broadband, phone and internet run on separate frequencies, and if you have too many jacks in use (4-5 is around the decision point), it's better to have a dedicated point for broadband with an in-wall filter. Otherwise, run the little splitters on every jack point. Of course, if you have no phones, then run the modem straight into the jack point, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Strange things can cause delays.

Three adjacent houses including mine had requests in for fibre, nowt was happening. One neighbour enquired and was told that the old wooden pole they were going to use would need to be replaced sometime in future, and they didn't want to have to do the work twice. Then they found out that the pole was actually owned by Powerco so they said something like, "Fuck it, Powerco's problem", and did the three connections - in six separate visits.
    There are many ways to install fibre, usually covered off during the site visit, where you sign off on the install process. In the trial phase they were going for best practise, but this provided expensive in the long run. Over time the jobs were biased to fastest speed and lowest cost unless the customer kicked up a fuss. This also included situations where they didn't move fast enough, the customer paid for the install (all to spec with right conduit etc), then Chorus expected to use it for other properties - without paying

Fibre and copper fall under different laws, hence all affected parties needing to provide approval for install to proceed. Mostly, they seek to replace like for like, so if your delivery was overhead, then fibre is overhead. If it's off a pole, then who owns that pole (including them all trying to deny ownership). I know it was potentially going to be possible to order fibre to a pole, not sure where that's at (but would be freaken awesome and create some interesting use cases). Different telcos also have different policies. When upgrading to fibre, some pull out the old services, others leave them as is. Sometimes they encourage customers into fibre, then find out about monitored alarms / Sky / other services during install that break when copper is turned off... and the telco tries to run from the problem.

Process time varies for fibre, but only modern single properties have any chance of quick install. The rest (ROW - right of way, MDU - multi dwelling units) have consent, design, body corp for mdu (urgh), outside build, inside build and so on.

Only way it gets quick, is when it's dragged on, and one of the senior field resolution guys investigates why it's dragging on. They're great to deal with and stuff gets sorted

Thread Information