Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which LAMS bike should I get ?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Baker View Post
    5K is more what I'd like to spend but I haven't found any decent larger capacity naked LAMS bikes apart from Hyosung GT650's for that price. They look nice, but I've read lots of mixed reviews about them. I don't think a 400 or 500cc is gonna move my 110 kg fast enough to keep up with my workmates on their cruisers.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk
    if you havent ridden in nearly 20 years, then 'keeping up' with anyone should be the furthest thing from your mind, and unless they all like to ride everywhere at 180km/hr, you'll keep up fine on a 250 if you wanted to anyway even if youre 110kg.

Keep hunting - lots of people tuck their bikes away at this time of year.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    I was kind of thinking a DR650 but I'm only 5"9 so don't know if I would even touch the ground.

they've got a low seat height man, and come stock from factory with a lowering link hole on the wishbones should you need it! will last forever and keep its value too

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Guy passed his CBTA 6R with me today. Good rider. He has a KTM390.

He wants rid of it as it rattles. Things fall off.

He's going to buy a 675 Daytona, and put 660 stickers on it. I've advised against it, but I'm an instructor, not a baby sitter.

Bike
    Still looking
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The driver/rider licensing protocols have changed a lot. The learners license now needs renewing. You'd pay to check if your learner license status is still current first.
    Had to renew my licence about a month ago and yes I definitely still have it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

He's going to buy a 675 Daytona, and put 660 stickers on it. I've advised against it, but I'm an instructor, not a baby sitter.
    If one of your former work associates did a radio check on the plate ... it would still come up as being 675 would it not ... ??? And the owner would be shown as being a restricted rider.

Depending on circumstances and attitude of the officer(s) at that time ... it might not go well (or be convenient) for the rider.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Still looking
    Found a tidy 2013 Hyosung GT650R online for $5495, 15000Km on the clock, any one had any experience with these ?

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    My favourite LAMS bike. The XSR is a gem.
    I've really enjoyed it from the beginning. With no experience at all 4 months ago, it handled brilliantly to allow me get some confidence. Enough confidence that now I have a restricted license (first attempt). With more and more experience, its getting even easier to ride. Low end torque is great for slow speed commuting traffic.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Firstly lets get the 250 thing out of the way?

WHY would you? Revvy, peaky power delivery on sports 250's, and usually thrashed to fuckery and back again.

It's amazing how just a year or so ago, they were weeping that 250's just weren't enough. Now they have up to 660cc? "no one keeps their LAMs bike for long anyway" The LAM's bikes are as powerful as the old 'real' Triumph Bonneville's etc. Remember the Legendary Z1-900 was only 80 odd BHP.

Bikes like the DR. KLR, XTZ may be 'adventure/trail bikes' and 'only 40 odd BHP but they have good torque and well proven engines that have been around for over 25yrs. There are plenty of folk who ride them big distances with no problem, just don't expect massive overtaking power.
    Hyosong's have a difficult time, they took a while to 'get it right' in many area's. The newer ones ARE better than older. What people tend to overlook is, even BMW had to do a major recall recently, as has most of the Japanese even in the last 10yrs.
    It's the old 'give a dog a bad name' syndrome. Many will expound the virtues of XYZ because they had one years ago, got one, or everyone else says they are the dogs nuts.

Work out WHAT you want? sport riding {not conducive to comfortable distance riding} mostly commuting? DR/KLR etc are excellent for that. The hyo is in two models the GT and GTR or the CF Moto

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1342329167.htm

Google the owners clubs for the bikes you short list..... It's pointless other people telling YOU what bike you want/need comes down to height/weight/needs as well as running costs.

remembert a 4cyl 250 costs as much as a 100cc 4 cyl to service.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    2013 Rocket 3. 2013 T/Bird Storm
    Found a tidy 2013 Hyosung GT650R online for $5495, 15000Km on the clock, any one had any experience with these ?

Find a shop that is selling one and go for an hours ride. You might want to consider the riding position that suits the time you intend spending on the bike. Son had one of these for short time but not long enough to gauge their reliability with higher k's. Nimble ride if you are happy leaning on wrists all ride and being cramped in the legs. Your mates probably have cruisers for a good reason.

Sent from my ZTE R84 using Tapatalk

Bike
    R1200GSA
    We have a 2014 CB500X coming up for sale if you are interested. In your price range. It's my wife's current bike but I have ridden it many a time even two up with her on the back and it's more than fast enough. I am 1.96m tall and 110kgs, probably more.
    It's kitted for touring with full luggage. PM me if you are serious about buying a decent, well sorted bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    We have a 2014 CB500X coming up for sale if you are interested. In your price range. It's my wife's current bike but I have ridden it many a time even two up with her on the back and it's more than fast enough. I am 1.96m tall and 110kgs, probably more.
    It's kitted for touring with full luggage. PM me if you are serious about buying a decent, well sorted bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not in the market, but the CB500 is an awesome LAMS bike.

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    I got out of tickets on my ZX6R (636cc) by claiming it's a LAMs bike.

I would suggest an MT07/XSR700.
    They are physically bigger than most learner bikes but the suspension is too soft for me at 95kg so would be even worse for you bit that's always upgradeable and you should be able to find 2nd hand bikes for around $8k

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    The CB500FA and the CB500XA are great learner bikes for most people.

Plenty of guts for open road riding, not too heavy, but heavy enough.

I like the upright riding position, making it easy to get your head checks done. They are easy to slow-speed handle, if you use the right techniques.

All that said, the XSR is my favourite.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    You can buy a XSR for $8K?-Please tell me where.

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis

Things never change, when I was 16 I had a TR3 that I 'converted' to look like an RD250. It was a wee bit peaky for the street but a lot of fun. Z1s didn't know what hit 'em haha

Thread Information