Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which LAMS bike should I get ?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Its not naked but since its a Honda you could ride it naked.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1344523954.htm

I think I would go for a older mt03 like this one.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1342389565.htm

Or a Benelli 600
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1347688162.htm
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Still looking
    Came across a Lams approved 2015 Benelli BN600IS today, any one had any experience with these ?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Baker View Post
    Found a tidy 2013 Hyosung GT650R online for $5495, 15000Km on the clock, any one had any experience with these ?

Nothing wrong with this as a first bike for a returning biker. Like nzspokes already mentioned, a bit of training will do wonders for your longevity.

Came across a Lams approved 2015 Benelli BN600IS today, any one had any experience with these ?

The first bike from Benelli since the Chinese owners took over...meh, I'd prefer a Hyosung in this situation.

It just comes down to taking a few bikes for a spin, the right bike question will answer itself...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

http://www.trademotorcycles.com.au/2...s-lams-review/
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Harley-Davidson 1200 FXDL + 2013 Hyosung

Hyosung good - parts - not so

Found a tidy 2013 Hyosung GT650R online for $5495, 15000Km on the clock, any one had any experience with these ?

I am quite happy with my Hyosung - bought it with the sole purpose of getting my license (after hooning around in my younger days on motocross bikes and a ZZR 1100 with no license) and now use it every weekday for work.

Looks tidy as I keep it clean, I get it serviced regularly and have no issues. (Colemans look after me here)

Parts & service though - Yeesh - I have found the agents on the shore piss poor at best. Hold stuff all parts - or maybe it is just the ones I want.

Rang with an issue with fuel gauge - not interested - you didn't buy it from us (one year old at that point)
    Chain guard - nope - two months as we just got our last order (bought online for a third of what they were asking - three weeks delivery)
    Rear guard (dickhead backed over the bike and broke the rear guard, but only as it hit a wall on the way down) 6 weeks (rang a week later to say they found one - minor redemption)
    Picked up previously spotless bike with dirty oily hand prints on it - saddle bags not correctly re-fitted.

Interesting note. After aforementioned dickhead backed over the bike, no dings or damage apart form the bit that hit the wall - the handle bars and controls were out of alignment - otherwise nothing else!

OOOps - back to the point. Runs good - pretty much ideal for Auckland traffic.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Hyosungs are heavy in the steering at slow speed.

I know, I know, it's easily fixed by going fast everywhere. In reality though, everyone has to ride at slow speed when stopping and starting every ride, and often when maneuvering into and out of spaces.

Not the best bike for a novice, but once you get used to them, they are okay. Not better than okay, just okay.

Why would you have a bike that's just okay, when you can find one you are passionate about?

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    What's the word on the Aprilia ETX?

My son's expressed a vague interest in learning to ride as he's coming to the leave-home age.

Seen some of these on TradeMe, a couple of years old, just a few km, and pretty cheap.

Cheap for a reason? Or "good enough" to get a start with?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    What's the word on the Aprilia ETX?

My son's expressed a vague interest in learning to ride as he's coming to the leave-home age.

Seen some of these on TradeMe, a couple of years old, just a few km, and pretty cheap.

Cheap for a reason? Or "good enough" to get a start with?
    My experience with this bike is flavoured somewhat that I am 1.96m tall and 115kgs in my birthday suit. I was given one of these as a loan bike while my grown up Aprilia was being serviced. I was surprised that it had and digital instrument screen, gear indicator and a reasonably accurate fuel gauge but had a carburettor not fuel injection. The example I rode was NOT fine until well warmed. Around town and with sufficient neck wringing it worked ok, no way that wee motor was going to have the ooomph to take my arse up the gorge to go home. That said it did occur to me it would be great for a youngster starting out. I even suggested it to a work colleague who is looking for something for her 16 year old to get around on. Build quality was pretty good I thought and it has a very different character to a GN. Next step would be something like the KTM 200s but a much bigger price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    My experience with this bike is flavoured somewhat that I am 1.96m tall and 115kgs in my birthday suit. I was given one of these as a loan bike while my grown up Aprilia was being serviced. I was surprised that it had and digital instrument screen, gear indicator and a reasonably accurate fuel gauge but had a carburettor not fuel injection. The example I rode was NOT fine until well warmed. Around town and with sufficient neck wringing it worked ok, no way that wee motor was going to have the ooomph to take my arse up the gorge to go home. That said it did occur to me it would be great for a youngster starting out. I even suggested it to a work colleague who is looking for something for her 16 year old to get around on. Build quality was pretty good I thought and it has a very different character to a GN. Next step would be something like the KTM 200s but a much bigger price tag.

Thanks for that. My boy is a little shorter than me, and I'm 1.93m. He's also the shape and weight of a long thin stick - so that bike might be just fine for him. He's thinking of Palmy for University next year. Not too many hills to cope with.

I had to move a GN125 for a friend of the Wife (who'd broken her wrist falling off a GN125 on a training course). I really HATED the steering geometry. Felt unsafe, to me.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Thanks for that. My boy is a little shorter than me, and I'm 1.93m. He's also the shape and weight of a long thin stick - so that bike might be just fine for him. He's thinking of Palmy for University next year. Not too many hills to cope with.

I had to move a GN125 for a friend of the Wife (who'd broken her wrist falling off a GN125 on a training course). I really HATED the steering geometry. Felt unsafe, to me.
    If the young fella is light, then the wee Aprilia will work for him. Def around Palmy. Make sure you get one of the "road" ones the pseudo enduro ones have knobblie type tyres that will walk a wee bit.

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Thread Information