Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which LAMS bike should I get ?

Bike
    Still looking

Which LAMS bike should I get ?

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I've had my Learners licence since I was 18, had a few bikes in that time. Haven't had a bike for 18 years been doing the whole mortgage and kids thing. Now it's time to get a bike. I'm after a 650cc Naked bike as I'm 110kg, would prefer to pay about $8k but can't really find anything decent for that price. Seriously thinking about buying a new Kawasaki ER6N, then derestricting it when I get my full.

Any thoughts ?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    I went with XSR700, it has a similar size engine but weighs 25 kgs less compared to ER6N.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Also, I liked the seating position more. Both have ABS brakes and twin discs upfront.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Youve not ridden for a long time so look to get a cheapy to start with so it wont be upsetting when you drop it.

Find yourself a good trainer and go do some lessons once you have the bike. Get good at riding then get the good bike. You will live longer that way.

Also nobody ever keeps there Lams bike so dont spend to much on it. Even ones you can de-restrict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    dr650 or klr650 then you can go on all roads :P and cheap-er tires / servicing is a doddle good bike to re-learn and still have heaps of fun without loosing license -- i'd go more for DR650 since its a lighter / less fragile and invincible motor

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    8k is a shitload of money for a learner bike IMO.
    I cant see any need to spend more than 5k on a first bike.

are you one of those "i dont want anything more than 3 years old' types? because there are plenty of great options out there well under 8k.

If youve had your learners a long time, you should look into competency based training assessments too, you might not be too far away from your full, if you are reasonably competent on a bike.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Baker View Post
    Hi guys, this is my first post here. I've had my Learners licence since I was 18, had a few bikes in that time. Haven't had a bike for 18 years
    So basically you're a born-again fledgling biker.....Take heed of this

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Youve not ridden for a long time so look to get a cheapy to start with so it wont be upsetting when you drop it.

Find yourself a good trainer and go do some lessons once you have the bike. Get good at riding then get the good bike. You will live longer that way.

Also nobody ever keeps there Lams bike so dont spend to much on it. Even ones you can de-restrict.

Bike
    Still looking
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

are you one of those "i dont want anything more than 3 years old' types? because there are plenty of great options out there well under 8k.

If youve had your learners a long time, you should look into competency based training assessments too, you might not be too far away from your full, if you are reasonably competent on a bike.
    5K is more what I'd like to spend but I haven't found any decent larger capacity naked LAMS bikes apart from Hyosung GT650's for that price. They look nice, but I've read lots of mixed reviews about them. I don't think a 400 or 500cc is gonna move my 110 kg fast enough to keep up with my workmates on their cruisers.

Bike
    Still looking
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    dr650 or klr650 then you can go on all roads and cheap-er tires / servicing is a doddle good bike to re-learn and still have heaps of fun without loosing license -- i'd go more for DR650 since its a lighter / less fragile and invincible motor
    I was kind of thinking a DR650 but I'm only 5"9 so don't know if I would even touch the ground.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    I was kind of thinking a DR650 but I'm only 5"9 so don't know if I would even touch the ground.
    Longer dog-bones....problem solved

Bike
    Still looking
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

Not too worried how old it is, just want a bike that looks like a full size bike and has enough power to pass safely in 100 Km traffic and I can do some decent miles on it. (Got a few trips planned) Most the guys I will be riding with only ride cruisers so top speed isn't too much of an issue. Would prefer naked/street fighter , but open too fully fairing sports, adventure, or super motard.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    5K is more what I'd like to spend but I haven't found any decent larger capacity naked LAMS bikes apart from Hyosung GT650's for that price. They look nice, but I've read lots of mixed reviews about them. I don't think a 400 or 500cc is gonna move my 110 kg fast enough to keep up with my workmates on their cruisers.

Any half modern 250 will keep up with cruisers. Again, learn to ride well first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2001 SV400s

I have an SV400S and love it. Only a 400 but 53hp puts it above most of the LAMS 650s anyway. Don't discount the smaller capacity bikes, there is a lot more to it than engine size.

Also dad has the CB500X and really rates it, less power than the SV but still more than enough for him, he takes pillions on it a bit and is still happy with it.
    Yeah, nah.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I've had my Learners licence since I was 18 ...
    The driver/rider licensing protocols have changed a lot. The learners license now needs renewing. You'd pay to check if your learner license status is still current first.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    I went with XSR700, it has a similar size engine but weighs 25 kgs less compared to ER6N.

My favourite LAMS bike. The XSR is a gem.

Thread Information