Thread: Dyno tuner for carbs

Bike
    BSA

Dyno tuner for carbs

So long story short I putting a zx9 B motor into my zx7r.

I am currently running 41 FCR's and intending using a kit airbox with the new motor.

Now I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a dyno tuner who is good with carbs.

I mean running the correct sized jets and such and tuned off the dyno.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't have hair on my balls,

Hair doesn't grow on steel

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Have you already got the motor fitted to the frame?? just asking coz the ZX9 slots straight into ZXR frames but is notoriously awkward to fit to ZX7Rs with the off-set hangers etc

I've got the full article on this....they got 138ps out of it running 40mm Keihins
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZX7R ZX9R convert.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	331273  

Bike
    BSA
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Have you already got the motor fitted to the frame?? just asking coz the ZX9 slots straight into ZXR frames but is notoriously awkward to fit to ZX7Rs with the off-set hangers etc

I've got the full article on this....they got 138ps out of it running 40mm Keihins
    Hey, Na I haven't fitted it yet. BRG Racing make a conversion kit that I think I will get. It relocates the oil cooler hose and has frame adapters for the top mounts as the bottoms fit.

The kit is probably a bit over priced for what it is but I don't want to drill out the frame as when I blow up this 9 motor, I think I will get my 7 motor and add a 779 kit with a long stroke crank from the L thereby bringing it out to 850. This was actually my intended route but I found the 9 motor at a good price.

What is that article from? I initially thought Muzzy Raptor swing arm with a dymag wheel but thinking more possibly 916-esque swing arm and wheel. I'm probably wrong though.

It's also an interesting project in that they have made an effort for the swing arm, exhaust, motor etc but haven't replaced the rear with a RR single seat unit. It also looks like they are running the factory ram air tubes (factory cover still on).

Bike
    The article is from Streetbike issue 44 Feb/Mar 97

The swingarm is RC30 and the wheel is a Marvic. When that was done the N1 was only a year old so still very very exclusive most were on the track or stashed away so single seat units weren't readily available. They used the stock ram tubes but it had an extensively modified air box; Peter Doyle TKA's head man at the time did all the wizardry to get the whole set-up dialed in properly
    They had major problems with mounting the engine due to the off-set mounts and had do a lot of modifications to the cylinder head due to realignment & then having to re-strengthen.

shame you aren't doing the reverse on the motor.......a simple and very effective big bore on H1 & H2 blocks is to put later model pistons & sleeves in....takes them out to 826cc with plenty of meat to play around with

Bike
    BSA
    That's a pretty sweet build. Do you have the electronic article or is it paper based?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jahrasti View Post
    That's a pretty sweet build. Do you have the electronic article or is it paper based?
    I've got the magazine easy enough to scan it off for you though if you want

Bike
    Various things
    So long story short I putting a zx9 B motor into my zx7r.

I am currently running 41 FCR's and intending using a kit airbox with the new motor.

Now I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a dyno tuner who is good with carbs.

I mean running the correct sized jets and such and tuned off the dyno.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Whereabouts are you? Here in Welly, Bruce Lewis of ex Wellington Motorcycles fame has their old dyno and is very good.

Bike
    here you go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZX article.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	331302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZX article0001.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	331303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZX article0002.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	331304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZX article0003.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	331305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZX article0004.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	331306  

Bike
    BSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Whereabouts are you? Here in Welly, Bruce Lewis of ex Wellington Motorcycles fame has their old dyno and is very good.
    I am in the Waikato. If need be I will trailer the fucking thing down. Shout the Mrs to a long weekend.

When I was up at Hampton a while back someone was talking about some dude up in Auckland who was the Kawasaki guru and built their race bikes (no idea about details)

I meant to ask for his name but got distracted with life.

Bike
    BSA
    here you go
    Legend cheers.

Bike
    Legend cheers.
    been a few years since I'd read it but had a browse while scanning it off, got a shock to read he spent near $30k in total on it

Bike
    BSA
    been a few years since I'd read it but had a browse while scanning it off, got a shock to read he spent near $30k in total on it
    I'll say, I almost spat my bloody drink out when I read that.

I do forget that the P was pretty much brand new in 97 hell mine is an 02. I have a gen 1 zx10 and man they are chalk and cheese and just two years apart.

The talk of the cam work did tickle my winky and the head is off the motor at the moment, uh oh I am getting distracted!

There is a good thread on the Zx forums with a dude that fuel injected a seven and if I remember had it running well. Apparently it was actually quite simple in the big scheme of things. I haven't really had an interest as well set up FCR's are awesome (until you fuck it up and they bog )

I am looking at a Koso gauge next as I have lost my speedo with my forged wheels and my brief is to keep it a road bike that goes on the track.

I just have to wait on the Koso though as I just bought a spare Cagiva (elephant symbol) windshield for my 851 SP and would like to give it a bit of love while I am at it.

Bike
    I'll say, I almost spat my bloody drink out when I read that.

I do forget that the P was pretty much brand new in 97 hell mine is an 02. I have a gen 1 zx10 and man they are chalk and cheese and just two years apart.

The talk of the cam work did tickle my winky and the head is off the motor at the moment, uh oh I am getting distracted!

There is a good thread on the Zx forums with a dude that fuel injected a seven and if I remember had it running well. Apparently it was actually quite simple in the big scheme of things. I haven't really had an interest as well set up FCR's are awesome (until you fuck it up and they bog )

I am looking at a Koso gauge next as I have lost my speedo with my forged wheels and my brief is to keep it a road bike that goes on the track.

I just have to wait on the Koso though as I just bought a spare Cagiva (elephant symbol) windshield for my 851 SP and would like to give it a bit of love while I am at it.
    so if you've got an 02 surely throwing a B series zx9 into it would be almost a step backwards.....myself I'd tinker with the 7 rather than gaining some weight & a slightly heftier bottom end
    I know where there's a N1 that I'd even consider bailing the 12R for if it came up for sale. Haven't had a lot to do with the later model ZX7Rs
    But know the ZXR750s well, the H1 I had went like a scolded cat with lump of barbed wire up it's arse had it sitting on a 05 Busa's ass @ 240 and really dented the guy's pride when he realised what had be pushing him along

Ha with the 851 keeping it company you've got the two bikes that dominated superbikes in the 90s

Bike
    Various things
    I am in the Waikato. If need be I will trailer the fucking thing down. Shout the Mrs to a long weekend.

Let me know if you want a hook up with Bruce. He's a good cunt. Take beer.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    BRM in auckland are good

https://www.facebook.com/brmmotorcycles/
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Thread Information