Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: stuck on the road side

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    as a young fella just a cple o yr ago I ran out of gas in te Kaimais, here was me pushing my shiny new xl500 and there are the cars zooming past, then along came a bike and he towed me to the nearest has gas station.
    three or so yr ago on a trip up north at xmas time we got picked up three time in two days by the AA, been a member for a lot more yrs than the wife wants me to say so it cost us nada, one of the pick ups was in the middle of the waioeka gorge, the wife loved having to wait with the bike while i hitched out to opotiki to get cell reception, turns out the problem was an intermittent fault with the alternator which the last guy that picked us up found.

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Many years ago that very thing happened, A KBer from Dunedin had bike trouble in Huntly (it's almost between towns) and he called me. I was at a Pub up the coast from Warkworth so I called another KBer and asked him to put a thread up asking for help. Ixion saw the thread, he knew Motu in Huntly (who is a mechanic) Phone numbers were exchanged and Motu went and collected stuck rider/gave a place to sleep and sorted things the next morning.
    I put that thread up , https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...anted-(Huntly)

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I pay for the AA, and pretty much never use it....

The last time my bike died I rang a mate with a trailer to come and get me.

Last decent outing on the bikes one of the group used the AA to retrieve his dead bike, a bit slow but effective, but in all honesty I'd probably get AA'd to the nearest town and then try kb to get a better solution to get home.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by WNJ View Post
    I couldn't remember who I called, thought it may have been FROSTY, thanks for posting that Rob I guess it was your geographical locale at the time.

20 mins after posting the thread and Jack was contacted....quicker than any Insurer could do.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    I pay for the AA, and pretty much never use it....
    I used to wonder why I was in the AA as I too never used it. Then one day I had a serious breakage to my van in the ParaParas and needed to be towed almost 100Ks to Wanganui. The driver of the tow truck told me that it was really fortunate that I was in the AA because the tow companies can charge whatever they like, but there is a much lower contract rate for AA members. He told me I was saving several years worth of subscriptions.

For bikes I'm told it's worthwhile, if not necessary, to pay the extra for AA Plus.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

For bikes I'm told it's worthwhile, if not necessary, to pay the extra for AA Plus.
    dunno, when the wing broke down we got carted to nearest garage which was close to destination (xmas time) so i rented a car which fortunately had a tow bar so we borrowed a trailor then picked bike up and repaired it myself.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    +1 on the AA, I have AA Plus and that got my bike shipped home ( 800kms) and a motel for the night plus cheaper gas and

countdown discount yadda yadda yadda.
    That's interesting. A mate was a member, and inevitably his Ducati failed up Whakatane way.

He called the AA who said they had no agency in that area and denied all responsibility. He ended up wearing the cost of bike transport, motel and bus.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    They would have been busy in the 60-70s

I found these pics amusing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17554099_835683923248475_1301092467674350128_n[1].jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	331323

Name:	19030552_835684266581774_6658718001839727525_n[1].jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	331324

Name:	19059870_835679909915543_2290551074991000716_n[1].jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	331325

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    That's interesting. A mate was a member, and inevitably his Ducati failed up Whakatane way.
    He called the AA who said they had no agency in that area and denied all responsibility. He ended up wearing the cost of bike transport, motel and bus.
    Perhaps that's the sort of thing that resulted in the advice I received to get AA Plus. The comment was to the effect that normal AA membership doesn't cover bikes.

This was from a KB discussion. Up until that time I had relied on the Honda Riders Club 24/7 0800 service, but when that was canned...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Perhaps that's the sort of thing that resulted in the advice I received to get AA Plus. The comment was to the effect that normal AA membership doesn't cover bikes.

This was from a KB discussion. Up until that time I had relied on the Honda Riders Club 24/7 0800 service, but when that was canned...
    Dunno. Either he paid for something other than whet he wanted or AA delivered something other than what he paid for.

The world's full of examples of both. So much so that I suspect one or the other is evident in a majority of purchases.

I'm current having to take time explaining consumer law to Repco, for example...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    I am hoping they reduce my premiums after spending so much to improve the handling and optimally the safety of the bike, lol.
    Funnily enough, my insurer reduced premium for the various riding courses/quals I've done. All adds up in the end...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    My AA membership at about $70 a year takes care of me. Collected and transported me twice and got me running again once.
    x2 Have been signed up since my first car a couple of moons ago.

So long as you've got reception and are a long way from home AA membership is great for the bike and car. They're bloody hopeless with motorhomes though!

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Have had it twice. Once back of Taumaranui with a big cut to the tire. Managed to get cell phone reception and called insurance. They dispatched a towie who took me to the closest place which of course was Taumaranui. Holiday weekend so nothing open and had to wait 3 hours until my brother in law brought my car and trailer from home.
    Second time was forgotten highway just after the gravel. Got a flat. Even though it was obvious I had issues and was looking for a hole 3 cars just passed on by not even asking if I needed help. No cell phone reception. Managed to find the hole and patch it. Two patches actually cause the first wasn't the actual hole.
    Have fixed 4 flats now and had two happened just outside the motorbike shop so they could fix it. Nearly all flats on gravel so bit wary of gravel now.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post

well thats bullshit cause the guys that picked me up from waioeka gorge were from opotiki an thats just round the corner from whakatane

Bike

an thats bulshit as well, i have never had aaplus and got picked up three times in two days, the only advantage of aa plus is it covers some of the cost of getting the bike to a place of your choosing, normal aa only gets you to the nearest garage which is probably where the transporter comes from

Thread Information