Thread: 2018 YZF450 - tuner app

Bike

2018 YZF450 - tuner app

What are you thoughts on the 'smartphone tuning' options on the new YZF? Something you'd use? Waste of time?

http://motocrossactionmag.com/spy-ph...yz250f-yz450f/

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2017/...tphone-tuning/

http://www.mcnews.com.au/2018-yamaha-yz450f/

Bike
    SXF250
    I would so love that feature, Yamaha have had it over KTM with the tuner for awhile, but this really puts the pressure on.

Interesting they went Wifi & not bluetooth, that range would be darn handy for training/coaching though. Overlay those stats on the cell phone camera & that is gold.

The great thing is some really nice all new bikes in the last 2 years, between Honda, KTM, Yamaha.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    What are you thoughts on the 'smartphone tuning' options on the new YZF? Something you'd use? Waste of time?

http://motocrossactionmag.com/spy-ph...yz250f-yz450f/

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2017/...tphone-tuning/

http://www.mcnews.com.au/2018-yamaha-yz450f/
    I have a power tuner for my 2012 WR450. I used it when I first got the bike, tried lots of different maps, but soon settled on a map I really like. I recently had another play with the tuning and ended back using the same map.
    I think the tuning feature is great as you can personalize the bike aimed at your preferences. In racing it would be great to be able to change maps to suit the track on the day.
    flashg

Bike
    PS : I do change to a more fuel efficient map when adventure riding, my tank ain't big @ 7.2 litres, but I usually carry extra.
    flashg

Bike
    wr450f
    I absolutely LOVE this. Improving an existing tool (the Yamaha power tuner) simply by changing it to wireless, and adding more features.

On every bike from factory!

No separate tool purchase needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    which brings me back to point Z. - use premium fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And the right plugs. And condoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    never really believed in em. which i suppose is why my bike runs rough and i have kids.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    great innovation, the early kawasaki system was expensive to buy so only a few dealers had them, they were good to use them, the post popular mod was to put a smoother map in for the 450's, but when they came out with the plug system it was not really used much anymore,

not that it will effect anyone here, but i am pretty sure the ama and fim do not allow computer mapping adjustments on the fly, i wonder if the wi fi connectivity gets pretty close to that rule, (can the bike even be running when changing maps???)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    PS : I do change to a more fuel efficient map when adventure riding, my tank ain't big @ 7.2 litres, but I usually carry extra.
    I have a few questions for you then man haha

How adjustable is it? Like is there the potential to damage your engine due to detonation or running too lean, or is there a safety barrier (I notice they say 16 points of configuration or something which makes me think you're safe...)

Also, what sort of instructions does it come with? Do they explain how to tune or just assume you know what you're up to?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    I have a few questions for you then man haha

How adjustable is it? Like is there the potential to damage your engine due to detonation or running too lean, or is there a safety barrier (I notice they say 16 points of configuration or something which makes me think you're safe...)

Also, what sort of instructions does it come with? Do they explain how to tune or just assume you know what you're up to?
    I was under the impression I couldn't hurt the engine from any maps that I might make. Though I've only used maps supplied by yamaha.
    However I recently lent my tuner and (extremely detailed)book to a mate who's just bought a used WR450 without a tuner. He's had great fun making his own maps and experimenting. He's read the instructions very very carefully and said, you can go too far, and damage the engine. After all his playing with maps, he's settled on the same map I use.
    Note: when using the GYTR (FMF) muffler the engine doesn't run very well on some maps (prefers a richer map)
    There is a noticeable power increase using the GYTR muffler, but it's a 450 so it's got shit loads of power without it. (and it's quieter) Which is better on longer adventure rides.
    Tazz, I sold my XTZ 660 teneŕe because the 450 is so much more fun on adventure rides. Also much lighter to pick up.
    My Beta RR300 2t is also registered (on hold)and WOF'd, I'm not tempted to use it for adventure riding at this stage, mainly because of the hassle of premix and poorer fuel economy. And I like using it on the trail rides without the road gear.
    "Motomox" has "cush drive" rear sprockets for most enduro bikes I'm told. Nicer for adventure riding.
    flashg

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    I was under the impression I couldn't hurt the engine from any maps that I might make. Though I've only used maps supplied by yamaha.
    However I recently lent my tuner and (extremely detailed)book to a mate who's just bought a used WR450 without a tuner. He's had great fun making his own maps and experimenting. He's read the instructions very very carefully and said, you can go too far, and damage the engine. After all his playing with maps, he's settled on the same map I use.
    Note: when using the GYTR (FMF) muffler the engine doesn't run very well on some maps (prefers a richer map)
    There is a noticeable power increase using the GYTR muffler, but it's a 450 so it's got shit loads of power without it. (and it's quieter) Which is better on longer adventure rides.
    Tazz, I sold my XTZ 660 teneŕe because the 450 is so much more fun on adventure rides. Also much lighter to pick up.
    My Beta RR300 2t is also registered (on hold)and WOF'd, I'm not tempted to use it for adventure riding at this stage, mainly because of the hassle of premix and poorer fuel economy. And I like using it on the trail rides without the road gear.
    "Motomox" has "cush drive" rear sprockets for most enduro bikes I'm told. Nicer for adventure riding.
    Ah ha, that book is kinda what I was wondering about too. Cheers for the feedback man, much appreciated!

Yeah I hear ya on the 450 being surprisingly awesome allrounders and echo the sentiment of many riders that bikes like that Tenere would be more awesomer if they weren't heavy as fark. To get over the itch I have maybe I should just buy a later model WR or some road/motard wheels. Life is hard

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    (can the bike even be running when changing maps???)
    Good question. Is it something where you make your adjustments and then flash the changes to the ECU or change them on the fly like you can with most aftermarket ECUs. For most peoples application flashing the changes then firing the bike up would be more than enough I'd imagine.

I wonder how it works with warranty if you start tinkering and it all goes horribly wrong.

Thread Information