Thread: NZ South Island bike trip

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

NZ South Island bike trip

Hi All

A mate of mine from the UK is looking to come over here next year to catch the Burt Munro Festival. In addition we'll be biking around the South Island starting in Nelson and returning there some 10-12 days later.

I have some ideas as to where to go (West Coast and via Queenstown) but this is an area that I've not explored myself yet and as such I'm looking for some advice please.

Who's done this themselves and are there any areas I really need to avoid?

Thanks.

Bike
    Sold
    Lee,
    Will send you a couple of items by email which should be of interest. Doing the major passes is an absolute must. Perhaps Invercargill too, to E Hayes Hardware to see the Burt Munro bikes and a heap of other stuff.

Geoff

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    nah there's nothing in the south island. give it a miss and head straight to australia

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Queenstown to Glenorchy is a nice ride. On the way back divert up to Arrowtown (pretty, bit of a tourist trap), then the Cromwell Gorge to (duh) Cromwell. Dunedin to Invercargill via the Caitlins is nice. Also Invercargill up to Queenstown. Te Anau to Milford Sound. There are shit loads of fantastic riders down there, no matter how long you have it never seems enough. Downside is the tourist drivers in campervans.

And if you are into adventure / gravel / dirt track...oh boy.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Who's done this themselves and are there any areas I really need to avoid?
    Unless you want to see the penguins in Oamaru avoid SH1 between Dunedin and all points north, you will die of boredom.

Don't know much about the top half but I would say come in via the West Coast. From Wanaka head over the Crown Range to Qtown and then do Glenorchy just to show your mate the view at Bennetts Bluff. Quick hop south along the lake and then turn right if you have the time and go to Te Anau and Milford Sound. Head further south via Tuatapere to Invers. Give Bluff a miss unless you really need the photo and then head to Dunners through the Catlins, and the most beautiful and underrated town in New Zealand, Balclutha.

From Dunedin take either SH87 or SH85 inland to Alex (with a little diversion through the Ida Valley to see what max speed you can get), time yourself from Clyde to the Cromwell bridge then keep going over the Lindis. Stop at the Four Square in Omarama to get a mince and cheese pie, slap big Jenny on the arse and give her a kiss from me, then head north to Twizel and whatever lies beyond. There be dragons, probably.

But don't forget Jenny.

EDIT - You live in Blenheim and have 18 months to find out. Best plan a road trip.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Get Mike Hydes twisting throttle nz rides book. You're welcome!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Well obviously avoid SH1 south of Christchurch as its busy, straight, boring as hell - and if you get completely fed up and start speeding then almost instantly there will be a blue flashing light behind you.

I'd also avoid any part of the current route between Blenheim and Christchurch via Lewis. Even if they have SH1 route open again by then I suspect the SH63/65/7 roads will still be munted.

Otherwise plenty of good roads to travel, recommend getting a copy of "Twisting Throttle New Zealand" by the late Mike Hyde for inspiration.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks all. I've put together a rough itinerary for my mates back in the UK and we'll see what they come back with. I'm limited with time but I'm glad to see that some of your suggestions (Te Anau for example) have made it into my first draft. Happy days.

Thread Information