Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike not starting after going to mechanics for repairs

Bike
    Honda CBX250 1988

Bike not starting after going to mechanics for repairs

Hi guys 1st time posting so if I need to remove/add anything let me know. Recently had my Honda CBX250RS (which has been customed into a cafe racer style) serviced at a mechanic as the right hand engine cover had a micro-crack in it causing it to leak oil. They welded it up and it all seemed to be going fine until 2 days later the bike lost all power going up a hill and does not start up again. When I go to start it I hear a clunking noise which was not there before (sounding like the piston is rubbing on something maybe?) and the bike turns over fine, but will not start up (Have tried crash starting it also and engine turns over with that same noise but won't start). I have established that the engine hasnt seized as will lurch if started in 1st gear. Have little experience with the mechanical side of bikes so thought I would ask you lads. Am trying to get some ideas on what could be wrong and if the mechanic is liable?

Any help is appreciated

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    If all the mechanic did was change the side cover, you'll have a hard time pinning this one on them. Take a video of the sound you reckon you're hearing.

Bike
    Honda CBX250 1988

Yeah thats what I thought however my mate reckons the weld may have broken down or possibly something about the weld being too close to a bearing in the electrical current causing it to fuse the bearings together? Unsure how realistic that is. Will get the noise when I can cheers

Bike
    I don't know what you're mate is thinking with the electrical current theory, but yeah it's not implausible that the weld wasn't well done and something has dropped into the engine case. It'd be a long shot to cause issues like this, but not entirely impossible. Are parts hard to get on this bike? Because it's difficult to imagine why you'd repair a side cover instead of replacing them, as they're pretty cheap on most bikes.

Just whip off the side cover and see what you can see.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Parts for the CBX250 are rocking horse poo. Take it back to the mechanic.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Sounds like an unfortunate coincidence to me but talking to the mechanic is your first step.
    Damaging bearings with weld current would be a long shot, they'd be using pretty low current. Damaging the electronic ignition would be easy though, but wouldn't they have removed the side cover to weld it?
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Wait that electrical current theory is weld current through the bearings? Well yeah that would do it, if the side case was welded while still on the bike. But surely no one would do such a thing.

Bike
    Honda CBX250 1988
    No they took the side cover off and welded it from the inside. I bought a new side cover for it for $50 and I gave to them but they just welded my old one without asking me beforehand which was alittle frustrating. Cost me $70 aswell. Guess I need to have a decent talk to my mechanic or find a new one. Appreciate the responses guys

Bike
    You paid someone to change a side cover? It's a 2 minute job.

Bike
    Honda CBX250 1988
    Yeah Im aware but someone told me I needed a torque wrench and the gasket needed changing aswell.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Pulse sensor wiring goes through the RH engine cover. Probably not plugged back in correctly. Trace the wire and check the connector. My CBX250rs had the same fault.

Shame such a nice wee bike got hacked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Honda CBX250 1988
    Thanks mate will have a look

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Any help is appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Parts for the CBX250 are rocking horse poo. Take it back to the mechanic.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    . I bought a new side cover for it for $50 and I gave to them but they just welded my old one without asking me beforehand which was alittle frustrating. Cost me $70 aswell. Guess I need to have a decent talk to my mechanic or find a new one.
    You should do what I mentioned to you on the phone when you rang us about it. Get the bike back in to us, so we can have a listen/look, and see what it's doing/done.

In the first instance (when you supplied the cover), Mark replaced two totally rooted oil line washers, and a munted c/cover gasket that was covered in gasket poo. There was so much poo used, it had quite badly blocked the oil filter screen, and was in a lot of the oil ways (written on your job sheet). The bike was run, and no leaks were detected, so bike was returned to you along with the spare cover you supplied.

Unfortunately, the cover did have a hairline crack in it, and after enough usage, it leaked. That was our mistake, and when you brought the bike back, we welded your cover (cover off the bike), and did the job free of labour charge. We didn't have access to your spare cover this time round, as it was not supplied to us.

We're still more than happy to look at your bike, and if you can't get it to us, we'll happily come and collect it for you. But I have a horrible feeling you may find some of the goo clogging things may've caused some engine damage. But we won't know unless we see/listen to it.

Regards,

Pete

Boyle Kawasaki

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17798975_10154513453622776_4982503330187876134_n.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	331422  
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Always good to get the full story

Thread Information