Thread: Cold Beer and Rain

Bike
    Its a Boat

Cold Beer and Rain

That feeling when…

Putting off the day’s ride is not an option. The unspoken hope that the rain will ease is a constant revolving thought as you suit up, but you’re doing it anyway. The bike is ready, you are ready and your pillion is ready. The rain seems to have increased in the last 10 minutes, or maybe it’s that unspoken thought playing a mind game with you?

Fifteen minutes into the ride and you’re thinking this is not the best idea, I could be home in the dry, watching Saturday morning trash TV. However, mind on the job, and also how wet things have become in a very short space of time. Body is still dry thankfully, nothing worse than that ‘’where’s the water getting in?’’ feeling so early in the day. First stop and time to change gloves, yes I remembered to put in an extra pair. Back on the road, the rain is that heavy that you can feel it through your textile jacket hitting your arms, I have to remind myself why we are doing this again.

The wind from the left is fairly strong, and it’s a bit exposed along the coast. Should devoid ourselves of at least one weather element when we head inland. The rain has eased to the point that you can almost feel things drying out (almost) I know there’s a town down there, but the fog suggests otherwise. Yip there it is, do we stop? A visor up conversation with my lovey pillion and we decide that the weather ahead looks ‘’promising’’ so we ride on looking to stop at the next town about 40 k’s up the road.

Then out of nowhere it’s as dark as hades up ahead, and right on cue, just as we begin to feel dry, the rain starts up again. Fresh road works as well, but I am sure the bike will be clean enough by the time we get home. We reach the next town and stop for a pie and coffee, anticipating the rain will finally fuck off.

Alas it does not.

It is now about 5:30pm and quite dark as we approach the Southern Motorway. A safe speed is around 60kph in this weather, concentrating on the red tail light beacon on the bike in front of me, it’s about as far ahead as I can see. Finally the lights of home come into view, it has been a very long day. Twelve hours on the road and I turn the bike off. We stand there dripping and slowly removing our gear, looking and feeling shagged, but laughing at the past few hours out there on the road. Tipping the water out of our boots was the final step in completing the days ride.
    The bike is not as clean as I had earlier thought, and neither are we, but those gloves that I changed at the first stop have kept my hands dry for the rest of the ride. Any regrets? Can’t be, we are home safe.

…the ride is done and you’re in warm, dry clothes, drinking a cold beer talking over the day that was with your mates.

They too have their stories…

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    is this the Short Story thread?
    Well done, my story would have ended: "And they decided to stay inside and watch the footy instead..."
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    It was a shitty cold day. I went into the garage and made up a couple of speaker brackets for my boys car .....

Mrs B is shaking her head at me using the kitchen oven to cure paint. She should be used to this by now

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    It was a shitty cold day. I went into the garage and made up a couple of speaker brackets for my boys car .....

Mrs B is shaking her head at me using the kitchen oven to cure paint. She should be used to this by now
    Tell her, it's ok you'll buy her a new one for xmas. Chicks love appliances for xmas!!! - then youll have a shop oven. You wont ever have to back inside. Now that they really do like
    Last edited by Luckylegs; 24th June 2017 at 17:49. Reason: Fuckin mobile devices

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    is this the Short Story thread?
    Well done, my story would have ended: "And they decided to stay inside and watch the footy instead..."
    Not particularly, I walked to pick up my bike a yesterday when the rain had stopped, 100 mts down the road and it pissed down, not the best in your jeans/sneakers and wind proof jacket, strange as it may sound, I asked the mechanic for a rag to wipe the seat, he pointed out the obvious but it just reminded me of the times when we have been out riding in the rain in good gear and always looked back on it as a fun day out....oddly.

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    ...yesterday... ...jeans/sneakers and wind proof jacket...
    Yesterday you say... for some reason i just couldnt help but picture it being 1983

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckylegs View Post
    Yesterday you say... for some reason i just couldnt help but picture it being 1983
    Line7 gear Bata Bullets and Leopard Lager?

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Dude, that doesnt sound so bad. 83 and i was young enough that my mummy was still dressing me. Motherfuckin stubbies and home made sweatshirts. Only cool shit i had then was a battlestar galactica tshirt

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    After posting here a wise man suggested searchin up 'sneans'. Twas all very educational and funny until i realised my formative years werd spent trying to look like scott biao in charles in charge get up.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    were you to poor to own gumboots

Bike
    Its a Boat
    This photo was taken at Ngarauwahia on the way back from our Ohura State Prison ride. I had T30 tyres on the bike at the time but took them off when we got home due to 4-5 slips in the weather conditions during that ride. That one piece wet suit was awesome but a bastard to put on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9589162574_b3ea9ca090_b.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	331691  

Bike
    Harley-Davidson 1200 FXDL + 2013 Hyosung

From where?

That feeling when…

Putting off the day’s ride is not an option.........

Was this a 'round trip or from where to Auckland?

The one-piece can be a bit of a bugger to put on - did it once in the Downtown Carpark while outside it was pissing down. Worth it though - by time I got it on it had stopped raining.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac_Tonz View Post
    Was this a 'round trip or from where to Auckland?

The one-piece can be a bit of a bugger to put on - did it once in the Downtown Carpark while outside it was pissing down. Worth it though - by time I got it on it had stopped raining.
    From north of Auckland including north of the Brynderwyns to Urenui in the Naki/Bennydale 'ish/Te Kuiti and Warkworth over two days.

Thread Information