Thread: Helmet visor icing over

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville 208

Helmet visor icing over

I rode the bike up from Christchurch to Picton to get the ferry last weekend. I stopped at Murchison for the night as planned. Hampden Hotel is the best...they let me use their garage so the bike would be undercover.

Left Murch Monday morning and it was -3 at 9.00am with claggy fog/drizzle. I was warm enough, but heres the kicker...as I headed into the hills going North, I had to keep wiping the helmet visor as it was fogging over. Only, it wasn't. The damn thing was actually icing up because of the cold! Never, in my 45 years of motorbiking have I had that happen! Just had to keep wiping it with a free (?) hand and hoping for the best. Did ride out of it after about 1/2 hour, but was scary. Couldn't stop as on the hills, in the fog in the middle of nowhere. No traffic around. Left the helmet open a crack, but was worried my glasses would go the same way!!!

Has anyone had that problem? Helmet is Shoei with pinlock visor, so no probs there. I guess in the future I could use anti-icing stuff like you use on car windscreens, but who would carry that around on the off chance? And besides, I dont intend to be riding in that cold too often... hmmm..never been to a Brass Monkey or Cold Kiwi...hmmm.

On another note, I have a new pair of winter riding gloves but dont like them as I find they are too bulky. I bought a pair of overmitts (Rainoffs) especially for the trip and wore them the whole way over shorty summer gloves. They worked a treat. Fingers a bit cold, but was really impressed with them.

My bike was the only one on the ferry on Monday. Ferry crew (Interislander) were really helpful and tied down the bike!

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Brrr, never had that! Had an icy screen once, heading from Ak to Wairoa. Pulled the bike out of garage and started it, left it to warm up a bit before heading off and the fog from the exhaust had frozen over the screen...
    Rain Off overmits are fantastic, I never go without them
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    sounds like you need less latitude.

i run 10% meths in teh cage window washers. doesn't freeze. may be incompatible with visors.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    naaa ya had an easy trip really, the over mits are a good idea. try riding central north island (waikato through to messenger) with thick fog as well. bet ya felt alive after that trip tho.
    when i lived in CHCH and worked out Rangiora i used to warm the car up and defrost the windscreen but as soon as i started driving to work the damned thing would freeze over again, ohhh the fun of it all.

worn corrective lenses since i was ten so know how much of a curse it can be

Bike
    I don't wear glasses but I avoid it by making sure my balaclava is nice and snug over my second balaclava and open the visor up a third or so. Might not have ever had it as bad as your trip though, hard to tell unless you were there sort of thing.

The anti beading stuff (rain x?) might be good for this sort of thing too (apply before you leave the house type job)

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    I don't wear glasses but I avoid it by making sure my balaclava is nice and snug over my second balaclava and open the visor up a third or so. Might not have ever had it as bad as your trip though, hard to tell unless you were there sort of thing.

The anti beading stuff (rain x?) might be good for this sort of thing too (apply before you leave the house type job)
    Rain X ok on car glass but you need to keep applying it once you start every so often, is very handy in those areas which have a lot of fog. But no good for acrylic.

for acrylic and plastic use RainX plastic water repellant www.rainx.com

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information