Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waterview Tunnel Opening

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    Can't wait. I only ever visit Westside when I absolutely have to, so what use is the tunnel?

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
    If you are North, South, East, or West of Auckland, the tunnel will be highly beneficial. With all those North & WEst using it, instead of SH1, the amount of traffic that will be taken off SH1 will be huge, so it is a win-win for all

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Yep, it'll be chock-a-block in no time
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    If you are North, South, East, or West of Auckland, the tunnel will be highly beneficial. With all those North & WEst using it, instead of SH1, the amount of traffic that will be taken off SH1 will be huge, so it is a win-win for all
    Maybe. It's much further than SH1, plus who knows how clogged the 2-lane parts of the southwestern will become now the tunnel is open.

If you are travelling from outside Auckland, don't assume it will be quicker and check Google maps before you reach the junctions.

We just did a half hour round trip from home (Onehunga) to the Patiki Rd junction. The tunnel was fine, but there are new 80 km/h zones which no doubt will raise lots if revenue in the next few weeks.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    The irony is that by the time these 'new improvements' are made to ease congestion and make driving in Auckland a better experience, there is need for more 'new improvements' to ease congestion and make driving in Auckland a better experience.

''driving in Auckland a better experience''

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Maybe. It's much further than SH1, plus who knows how clogged the 2-lane parts of the southwestern will become now the tunnel is open.

If you are travelling from outside Auckland, don't assume it will be quicker and check Google maps before you reach the junctions.

We just did a half hour round trip from home (Onehunga) to the Patiki Rd junction. The tunnel was fine, but there are new 80 km/h zones which no doubt will raise lots if revenue in the next few weeks.

The 80Kph thing has been raising revenue, around there, for a long time now. Cars clogging up the tunnel will mean that they are not clogging up SH1. Lots of options for the tunnel. Upper Harbour Drive to SH16, means you avoid the harbour bridge. I suspect and hope that there will be lots of benefits for all motorway users. Time will tell though. WOT NO TOLL

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    The 80Kph thing has been raising revenue, around there, for a long time now. Cars clogging up the tunnel will mean that they are not clogging up SH1. Lots of options for the tunnel. Upper Harbour Drive to SH16, means you avoid the harbour bridge. I suspect and hope that there will be lots of benefits for all motorway users. Time will tell though. WOT NO TOLL
    They now have an 80 limit from the south end of the tunnels to somewhere around Onehunga. I expect most of them will go back to 100 in time, but watch the variable limits in the tunnels.

One plus for me is it will be much quicker to get out west for a ride at the weekends.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    . The tunnel was fine, but there are new 80 km/h zones which no doubt will raise lots if revenue in the next few weeks.
    SAFETY nigga. those fuckers will no doubt raise lots of SAFETY in the next few weeks.

or.. vote ax

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    The irony is that by the time these 'new improvements' are made to ease congestion and make driving in Auckland a better experience, there is need for more 'new improvements' to ease congestion and make driving in Auckland a better experience.

That's the truth of it. The suburb I grew up in in CHCH had plans for a northern route - several times - this I remember over 40 years back. Houses were even purchased a couple blocks away at one stage. I believe there is now money budgeted for it in a few years - massive amounts of money (and that won;t be enough).

If that shit was pushed through 40 years ago ...

Aucklands fucked - expansion with no concern for the future.

Wellington - where the F is that Transmission Gully route? Just do it before they have a Kaikoura like rumble that totally isolates the capital of NZ.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You should. Picture this, CBR1000rr at full revs in first blasting through the tunnel.

Not that I would do such a thing.......
    It won;t be full revs - first gear will exceed the open road limit and the tunnel will be lower. You won't even be on cam

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post

And as far as I can see, the reason for that can be summed up in one word: Wellington
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    It won;t be full revs - first gear will exceed the open road limit and the tunnel will be lower. You won't even be on cam
    Yerp. 80k limit. Maybe just rev bomb it. The GSX will sound good at that speed though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    And as far as I can see, the reason for that can be summed up in one word: Wellington
    Nah, cars is the reason. Why any able-bodied person would willingly commute regularly in an otherwise empty four-wheeled prison is beyond me.

I say stop any and all arterial road development and let Auckland clog to the point where the ONLY way to get anywhere is by motorcycle or bicycle. Only then will we see large numbers of drivers finding the alternative they should have before billions of our dollars were wasted simply delaying the inevitable.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Nah, cars is the reason. Why any able-bodied person would willingly commute regularly in an otherwise empty four-wheeled prison is beyond me.

I say stop any and all arterial road development and let Auckland clog to the point where the ONLY way to get anywhere is by motorcycle or bicycle. Only then will we see large numbers of drivers finding the alternative they should have before billions of our dollars were wasted simply delaying the inevitable.
    or people could move anywhere else in NZ

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post

The majority of joe public is never going to motorcycle or cycle much, just not practical for them. And AT are doing their level best to clog up Auckland with unnecessarily overzealous traffic management already, who knows maybe to force Wellington into doing something.

Instead they keep building roads... probably because public transport will have to be even more heavily subsidised than it already is now to work, which doesn't fit with the neo-liberal ethos.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Wellington
    Or as the Tourettes Society call it... Shit Piss Cunt Bucket.

Thread Information