Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: Waterview Tunnel Opening

  1. #31
    Join Date
    8th January 2005 - 15:05
    Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    8,819
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    If you are travelling from outside Auckland, don't assume it will be quicker and check Google maps before you reach the junctions.
    I'm getting messages from Garmin telling me there are map updates. If the tunnel is the update that's quick.

    I used to travel around Pt Chev, Waterview and Avondale on my pushbike way back when and I can't visualise where that tunnel goes. Still, I've been actively avoiding Auckland for decades and will probably continue to do so.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

  2. #32
    Join Date
    19th October 2005 - 20:32
    Bike
    M109R, XJR13, RMX450Z, ZX-12R, XS750
    Location
    Near a river
    Posts
    4,306
    The TV3 news did a test run from their premises to the airport...one run travelling the old most direct route & the 2nd travelling via the tunnel...... the old route took 23mins or so and travelling via the tunnel took 21mins and was a 4km longer trip, so for that type of usage once the novelty wears off it'll be status quo

  3. #33
    Join Date
    21st December 2006 - 14:36
    Bike
    Mine
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,966
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    or people could move anywhere else in NZ
    Agreed.


    ..........
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

    "Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

    "Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

  4. #34
    Join Date
    15th January 2011 - 20:51
    Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    The TV3 news did a test run from their premises to the airport...one run travelling the old most direct route & the 2nd travelling via the tunnel...... the old route took 23mins or so and travelling via the tunnel took 21mins and was a 4km longer trip, so for that type of usage once the novelty wears off it'll be status quo
    Maggie Barry tweeted that it saved 10 mins on her trip to the airport, but she was probably told to say that!

    Very surprised to see there is no shoulder whatsoever. How will emergency services get to accidents?



    Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

  5. #35
    Join Date
    13th April 2007 - 17:09
    Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Location
    K K K
    Posts
    3,773
    OMG - What are you guys going on about, with this shit?

    The difference is huge. 10 minutes of stop start traffic is worth saving and providing this alternative route helps everywhere else too.

    No the novelty won't wear off at all. What it will do is move the bottle neck to being elsewhere.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, Tuono 1100
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,724
    I will go see if it makes my run home faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    21st December 2006 - 14:36
    Bike
    Mine
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,966
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    The majority of joe public is never going to motorcycle or cycle much, just not practical for them.
    Therein lies the issue I have with this problem. There are a lot of people that, at least in fine weather, are quite capable of commuting by motorcycle that will refuse to do so simply because using a car is more comfortable. If we're going to solve our road problems we have to leave thoughts of comfort and status behind.

    Bangkok, I think it was, had near zero congestion when the average income was too low to afford a car. As soon as the income rose high enough the number of cars shot up clogged the city. They were seen as a status symbol.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

    "Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

    "Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

  8. #38
    Join Date
    13th April 2007 - 17:09
    Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Location
    K K K
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Therein lies the issue I have with this problem. There are a lot of people that, at least in fine weather, are quite capable of commuting by motorcycle that will refuse to do so simply because using a car is more comfortable. If we're going to solve our road problems we have to leave thoughts of comfort and status behind.

    Bangkok, I think it was, had near zero congestion when the average income was too low to afford a car. As soon as the income rose high enough the number of cars shot up clogged the city. They were seen as a status symbol.
    So how about a $10 daily congestion charge for cars and 0.00 for 2 wheeled vehicles?
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

  9. #39
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, Tuono 1100
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,724
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I will go see if it makes my run home faster.
    Slower, but that due to the North Western being a clusterfuck.

    But one of the guys at work found it a lot quicker in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    21st December 2006 - 14:36
    Bike
    Mine
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,966
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    So how about a $10 daily congestion charge for cars and 0.00 for 2 wheeled vehicles?
    I'm not in favour of artificial charges like this. I don't think it will have a long term affect (drivers already pay $20 and more a day just to park in the CBD) and it penalises those that can't leave the car behind (tradies for one). However, I do agree that any measure that is weighted away from cars is a step in the right direction.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

    "Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

    "Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

  11. #41
    Join Date
    9th May 2008 - 21:23
    Bike
    2013 Busa 2013 FJR1300
    Location
    Northern Waikato
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    So how about a $10 daily congestion charge for cars and 0.00 for 2 wheeled vehicles?
    Nice idea but how to administer it?

    I reckon one answer is transit lanes which can be used by cars with 3 or more occupants. Then use a ride share app to do some clever car pooling. Won't work for everyone, but it's a start.
    If the words I say offend you, imagine the ones I keep to myself...

  12. #42
    Join Date
    6th May 2012 - 10:41
    Bike
    invisibike
    Location
    pulling a sick mono
    Posts
    6,057
    Blog Entries
    4
    ban SUVs and women from driving. enforced with thos magnet cranes and car crushers randomly distributed and moved around like speed cameras


    boom. 80% less traffic.

    vote akzle.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    13th April 2007 - 17:09
    Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Location
    K K K
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Nice idea but how to administer it?

    I reckon one answer is transit lanes which can be used by cars with 3 or more occupants. Then use a ride share app to do some clever car pooling. Won't work for everyone, but it's a start.
    Easy to administer. Same way as the toll roads charge and fine, by reading the number plates.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,554
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Therein lies the issue I have with this problem. There are a lot of people that, at least in fine weather, are quite capable of commuting by motorcycle that will refuse to do so simply because using a car is more comfortable. If we're going to solve our road problems we have to leave thoughts of comfort and status behind.

    Bangkok, I think it was, had near zero congestion when the average income was too low to afford a car. As soon as the income rose high enough the number of cars shot up clogged the city. They were seen as a status symbol.
    By the time I get the bike out put the gear on its actually quicker to take the car to work if I'm at the ET office.
    If working in town I take the bike as there are bus lanes and I can sneak it into the car park un noticed.

    I was surprised how well the traffic flowed in Saigon and Hanoi a few years back, but as you say people aspire to a car and that will change it.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    1st November 2005 - 08:18
    Bike
    F-117.
    Location
    Banana Republic of NZ
    Posts
    6,979
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    So how about a $10 daily congestion charge for cars and 0.00 for 2 wheeled vehicles?
    That would last as long as the Northern toll road did, before the taxation rate of a bike being the same as a car... WTF?
    Another piece of evidence that proves that improving traffic flow is low on the priority list of pencil-pushing bureaucratic cock wombles.
    TOP QUOTE: “The problem with socialism is that sooner or later you run out of other people’s money.”

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •