Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 bikes I am considering at the moment.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Oh and the Euro twins appear to be geared for Autobhans ..... As noted previously a drop of one tooth on the front of most Ducatis is a good move. Done it - much better. Apparently a common 1st service thing.

That loud KTM - why does the shop not add the dp killer insert, or if it's missing order one. Silly if it's turning people away because of the volume.

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Do not change gearing by going to a 14 tooth on the front, change the rear instead. As to the bikes, I've ridden all but owned none of the new 4 choices. I like the KTM and Ducati best. The Triumph was easy to ride but not exciting, the Suzuki a great engine but not a great overall feel. The KTM my daughter likes, I like the M1200 although I prefer a slightly wider handlebar. Get a bike with known history and choose one you get excited about throwing a leg over.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    M1200 it is then.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Gremlin had a 990, think he had a fair amount of trouble with it. Pay to ask him.
    63k in 27 months. Dinged the front rim twice (no idea how), broke the rear subframe twice (knew exactly how, but if I improved the replacement it voided the factory warranty, so I broke it instead and got another under warranty )

Yes, it cost to maintain (turning a supermoto into a sport tourer probably wasn't my best idea ever), but wow, what a ride Katie was. I see that 990SMR and think... how the hell could I store another bike. Of course the beemer or Hornet does the work, so the SMR would be a toy... and what a toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    63k in 27 months. Dinged the front rim twice (no idea how), broke the rear subframe twice (knew exactly how, but if I improved the replacement it voided the factory warranty, so I broke it instead and got another under warranty )

Yes, it cost to maintain (turning a supermoto into a sport tourer probably wasn't my best idea ever), but wow, what a ride Katie was. I see that 990SMR and think... how the hell could I store another bike. Of course the beemer or Hornet does the work, so the SMR would be a toy... and what a toy
    If you washed the Hornet, it would be like having a new bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    11 odd years of dirt, and it runs so nicely. Why would I change that?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    11 odd years of dirt, and it runs so nicely. Why would I change that?!
    Wash? I can lend you a chisel and a hammer...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Don't underestimate a good layer of old crud!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Interesting comment from Kawasaki Kid about the Triumph being boring. People used to say that about the Hornet too but the Hornet was, to me, the pick of the last four bikes I've owned, even if it was the least 'glamorous'. When mine came out the Hornet had a faster 0-100mph time than a GSXR1000 of the same year. It had more 'snap' than the VFR or the S4R which followed although it did have a Dynajet with a custom map.

Somebody else commented that the Triumph didn't handle, I haven't noticed that but then mine has an Ohlins on the back and a Racetech front end. The S3 makes 130bhp and was tested to do 150mph - just. There should be some excitement in there somewhere.

Some people may just like a lot more thrills than me, but then thrills can result in RHF.*

* Risking Hospital Food
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Interesting comment from Kawasaki Kid about the Triumph being boring. People used to say that about the Hornet too but the Hornet was, to me, the pick of the last four bikes I've owned, even if it was the least 'glamorous'. When mine came out the Hornet had a faster 0-100mph time than a GSXR1000 of the same year. It had more 'snap' than the VFR or the S4R which followed although it did have a Dynajet with a custom map.

Somebody else commented that the Triumph didn't handle, I haven't noticed that but then mine has an Ohlins on the back and a Racetech front end. The S3 makes 130bhp and was tested to do 150mph - just. There should be some excitement in there somewhere.

Some people may just like a lot more thrills than me, but then thrills can result in RHF.*

* Risking Hospital Food
    Yep, fair enough too, i had a load of bikes on my watch list last week and slowly crossed them off for one reason or another... a couple of months ago, I swapped rides with a guy, him on my 04 gsxr750 and me on his 07 sv1000. I enjoyed the ride home much more on his bike than I would have on mine despite being wary of how weak the brakes were. And lets face it, the SV is not a highly rated bike, but I reckon it's all about the power delivery and even more so, the sound!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Thanks Mark, seems a bit steep for an 05, plus the small tank is a bit of a deal breaker for me. I had a couple on my watch list, test rode a 2010 model with low k's and ended up buying a 1200 monster. Plus the sun will be shining tomorrow and it's the weekend!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Photos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Thanks Mark, seems a bit steep for an 05, plus the small tank is a bit of a deal breaker for me.
    Probably comes with a trailer though

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Thanks Mark, seems a bit steep for an 05, plus the small tank is a bit of a deal breaker for me. I had a couple on my watch list, test rode a 2010 model with low k's and ended up buying a 1200 monster. Plus the sun will be shining tomorrow and it's the weekend!
    No worries mate, tbh I didn't take much notice of the actual asking price, if it's that urgent it'll be appropriately negotiable.

M1200 was on my radar couple of years ago, but this SDR presented at a doable price... Had much time on the monster yet?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information