Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 bikes I am considering at the moment.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

4 bikes I am considering at the moment.

KTM Superduke 990, TL1000r, Speed Triple 1050 and Monster S4R.
    Which of these would be the most comfortable to use a tank of gas on? Not SH1 style riding!
    Good points on any of the above.
    Bad points on any of the above.
    I am reasonably familiar with the specs on these bikes. Cheers, Laava
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i liked the 1050 triple(Tiger?) when i rode one.I did not like the KTM 990 (smr?).No experience at all with the other two

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Well I can comment on two having had an S4R and currently owning a Speed Triple. Both were great bikes but there were minor annoyances with the S4R.
    The Ducati has a 14L tank compared to the 17L tank of the Triumph neither of which is huge.

Most people dropped a tooth off the front sprocket on the S4R (to 14?). Even so there is basically no power under 4000RPM which is close to 100kph in top. The bike isn't great in town as you never seem to be in the right gear, either revving too hard or if you change up there's no power and the engine is lugging. With Termignoni pipes it's not like you manage all this unobtrusively either.

I was never totally confident in the Ducati clutch, it never actually played up but...

Similarly really tight hilly roads present the same problems as town running. More open winding roads though are a joy.

When I first bought the Triumph somebody said' "You'll find that a lot easier to ride." He was right. Smooth power from idle.

Two occasions spring to mind when I was grateful to have changed to the Triumph: the first when I was passing over a tight part of the Gentle Annie, and not long after that when embarking on a tour of the South Island. The former because of the comparative ease of using the Trumph engine, the latter because of the tank range. There was one leg on that trip where we were all running on empty and the Duc just would not have made it.

Ducati had an active owners club with annual gatherings and regular tours. Ive had no dealings with RAT so can't comment.

The S4R and the S3 are very different but there's plenty to like about either of them.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/a...hmentid=228690
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/a...hmentid=264717
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Out of that lot I'd dump the Suzuki just for it being so old tech compared to the others. Unless that's your thing of course.

Any can be made comfortable with a change of bars, seat, pegs to suit the rider.

Triumph is a bit fat still but like a chubby girl you can still have fun on the dance floor.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Gremlin had a 990, think he had a fair amount of trouble with it. Pay to ask him.

TL seems to need upgrades to work well and is a bit meh. The Duc will break down.

Speedy will be the pick of that bunch but having had some time on one, a street could be more fun on the twistys with a great sound track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    The 990 SD is a bit hyper focused, good quality kit but I wouldn't choose it for commuting. The quickest of that group I think though. Think I mentioned elsewhere I'd prefer an SMT/SMR.

TLR has a nice engine, needs complete suspension upgrade to come close to matching the rest.

Have only spent 10 min on a 1050, didn't notice any serious deficits, but didn't really feel any need to look for more either. Not a great fan of the distributor.

I really wanted to like the S4R, and for the most part I did, but I found holes in the power delivery annoying, and the one I rode had been a pain in the arse reliability wise.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys for your comments, rode the 990 today and it didn't immediately jump out at me, the seat had been modified for a short person(my guess) and the motor was pretty vibey at commuting speed, not thatI am buying a bike for that! I have written the s4r off as well from what you guys have said(=reviews) and a stupidly small gas tank

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    My S4R was reliable but there was always a question mark over the 996 engine, it being son of the 916 which was reportedly problematic. On the Ducati boards there was mention of the chrome peeling off the cam followers, everybody and his dog had ideas on how that could be avoided. Over time I came to the conclusion that the problem was probably due to a faulty batch and all the suggested precautions were basically bollocks.

The chrome stripping off the cam followers though is the sort of thing that could potentially keep you awake at night. I can't remember the exact figures but the followers weren't all *that* expensive, about 100 quid each? But there are 16 of them.

I had my fingers crossed every oil change, hoping there were no chrome flakes in the oil.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    chrome flakes in the oil.
    Thats how I like my sardines!

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Problem is, you have a look, ar the s4r for instance, and cant help thinking "will I regret not spending another 2k ?" in time. So now that I have scrubbed the s4r from the list, I have added the M1200...bigger tank, more power, abs etc etc...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    So now that I have scrubbed the s4r from the list, I have added the M1200...bigger tank, more power, abs etc etc...
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a late model Ducati. Oh wait I did. As some have said depending on the model low end fueling can be average - mine was, Termis and the Ducati race ECU they came with tidied it up but it's still no Honda Hornet down low (my previous bike) - it has a 'stop pissing about and twist it' attitude to it. Which after 8 years on the Honda I kind of like.

Nothing too odd now days - run a list of bikes turning up with average low end fueling to meet emission standards (that Suzuki 1000 springs to mind).

That M1200 is a nice piece if kit. The one I rode fueled very well.

Ride one.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Problem is, you have a look, ar the s4r for instance, and cant help thinking "will I regret not spending another 2k ?" in time. So now that I have scrubbed the s4r from the list, I have added the M1200...bigger tank, more power, abs etc etc...
    Bah, if you're not limited to the original list then why limit yourself at all... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1105859693.htm
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Well here's my thoughts back in 08: https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...h-Speed-Triple

I picked the Supermoto. Long suspension travel was freaken awesome, Duke's clutch was too stiff for the variety of stuff I did, and while the Triple engine was good, I didn't like it's suspension or handling. Remember the Duke mid life got a bigger fuel tank, so steer to the later ones (I forget the specific year, but you can find that, or probably already know). Aprilia also tends to do that with their models.

Big part of the equation for me is who will look after it, I'd avoid brands of bikes if there isn't someone I can trust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a late model Ducati. Oh wait I did. As some have said depending on the model low end fueling can be average - mine was, Termis and the Ducati race ECU they came with tidied it up but it's still no Honda Hornet down low (my previous bike) - it has a 'stop pissing about and twist it' attitude to it. Which after 8 years on the Honda I kind of like.

Nothing too odd now days - run a list of bikes turning up with average low end fueling to meet emission standards (that Suzuki 1000 springs to mind).

That M1200 is a nice piece if kit. The one I rode fueled very well.

Ride one.
    Heh, my only ducati has been a Darmah, I believe they have come along a bit...
    As for the SDR Ocean, it is on the outer edge of my radar...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Bah, if you're not limited to the original list then why limit yourself at all... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1105859693.htm
    You might want to get a baffle for the pipe on that one, its fucking loud. He started it for me a year ago when I was looking for a bike. De-cat with no baffle was so loud it hurt. The salesman said it was to loud as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information