Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: aftermarket pipe, Lams allowed or not

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    When I became qualified to do CBTA assessments it's one of the things I queried. Just a few thoughts.

Most cops don't know what a LAMS bike is. Most still think learners can't ride anything bigger than a 250. Most cops don't know a bike by anything other than the stickers on it. For example, the V-Strom is identical in appearance apart from model designation on the licence label. How would a cop know?

I expect there are many roadside interactions where riders are explaining LAMS approval to the cop who has stopped them.

Nobody does inspections to confirm LAMS compliance. It's not something that gets checked at a WoF inspection.

Reducing the weight of a larger-than-250 LAMS bike voids the approval. As does increasing the power output. Period. You can do the mod and gain an exemption, but is it really worth the trouble?

When I queried it re CBTA assessments I was told I'm not a mechanic, so if a bike is on the LAMS list, it's okay to conduct the test.

There are extremes. 650 Beemers which have been chopped into cafe racers are way lighter.

Its a minefield.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    When I became qualified to do CBTA assessments it's one of the things I queried. Just a few thoughts.

Most cops don't know what a LAMS bike is. Most still think learners can't ride anything bigger than a 250. Most cops don't know a bike by anything other than the stickers on it. For example, the V-Strom is identical in appearance apart from model designation on the licence label. How would a cop know?

I expect there are many roadside interactions where riders are explaining LAMS approval to the cop who has stopped them.

Nobody does inspections to confirm LAMS compliance. It's not something that gets checked at a WoF inspection.

Reducing the weight of a larger-than-250 LAMS bike voids the approval. As does increasing the power output. Period. You can do the mod and gain an exemption, but is it really worth the trouble?

When I queried it re CBTA assessments I was told I'm not a mechanic, so if a bike is on the LAMS list, it's okay to conduct the test.

There are extremes. 650 Beemers which have been chopped into cafe racers are way lighter.

Its a minefield.
    seems pretty well black and white to me, adding a pipe, as it's written down isn't it?

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    seems pretty well black and white to me, adding a pipe, as it's written down isn't it?
    Not if changing the pipes did not result in actual power gain. As I said before, unless the engine is retuned to match the pipes, gains any gains are questionable.

I don't want to muddy the waters myself, so I'm not changing mine till I get full license. I'll probably change the bike then and sell mine as LAMS compliant.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    The wee magic line of verse is:

"These motorcycles must be in form as produced by the manufacturer"

Pretty fuckin simple really even a dumb arse cop that doesn't know jack shit about bikes could spot a aftermarket brand label that pretty much all aftermarket pipes are emblazoned with.

Fuckin modern licencing is pathetic anyhow...bloody everyone wanting everything right now not prepared to wait, thinking a licence is a given and their right to have....fucking sit back and earn it properly...bloody lams bikes of higher capacity etc newbs miss so many of the basic fundamentals and exposed themselves to the bigger traps a larger bike can cause without knowing how to handle & react to these traps

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    The only real issue I see is if involved in a collision while on your learners or restricted. If you've got a modified exhaust and your insurance company caught wind they'd be like "nah bol".

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    Here's a curve ball.
    What about a LAMs bike with a factory option aftermarket exhaust. An R3 with an Akarovic slip on for example.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    Here's a curve ball.
    What about a LAMs bike with a factory option aftermarket exhaust. An R3 with an Akarovic slip on for example.
    It's a marketing ploy not a production fitment

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    What about a factory exhaust with a sticker that adds 3.26hp but the sticker weighs so much that the power to weight ratio stays exactly the same as factory?

Bike
    Riding a bike at a different time of day can have that effect doesn't have to be a sticker

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkNZ View Post
    No doubt I don't disagree with that.

Though if a learner or restricted were to turn up to his or her CBTA assessment, the same instructor that didn't give two f***s would be well within his rights to not proceed with the test as the bike is not technically LAMS compliant.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/Driv...urse-guide.pdf
    I may or may not have done my CBTA full assessment on a GSX650FU that had been de-restricted to a full power 650 (which may or may not have been done by cutting Wire number 29 on the ECU)....

As others have said - Attitude test is key - A Cop is unlikely to care about your drilled Aluminium shorty brake levers (that technically save 100 grams and thus alter the power-to-weight).

I understand there is a degree of disgression, but ultimately, when you start fiddling with a LAMS bike, its a grey area - but so long as you aren't drastically changing the weight, or doing anything to increase the power/torque, then you should be okay.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    If I was buying a used LAMS bike is want a factory spec one.

I do remember considering buying a new GSX1400 at one stage. They came as new with a Yoshimura exhaust.

It's a pretty technical issue. Cops are expected to be experts at everything. Which they normally ain't.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    If I was buying a used LAMS bike is want a factory spec one.

I do remember considering buying a new GSX1400 at one stage. They came as new with a Yoshimura exhaust.

It's a pretty technical issue. Cops are expected to be experts at everything. Which they normally ain't.
    I recall reading (online somewhere) that due to the age of some of the motorcycles in the LAM's class ... and (lack of) availability of such parts ... aftermarket parts were permitted if no performance gains were achieved. Pretty simple really ... especially when most such machines struggled to get the (manufacturers) claimed horsepower anyway. Plus the 100,000 +kms clocked up ... getting near the LAM's limit would be a fine thing.

I can recall a lot of Suzuki models with the Yoshi' systems added to new motorcycles. Although I'm not sure they were added ex factory ... or shop/dealer to boost sales. Any dealer sales persons can clarify this ... ???

You might need a dam good memory to recall the entire Land Transport act ... and associated Laws ... but this is what many (of Joe Public) expect/believe they do (Although many hope they don't).
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMasterJ View Post
    What about a factory exhaust with a sticker that adds 3.26hp but the sticker weighs so much that the power to weight ratio stays exactly the same as factory?
    I recall the old racing maxim .. it's easier to lose weight than gain horsepower. Probably the motto (and basis) of Cafe Racers ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Riding a bike at a different time of day can have that effect doesn't have to be a sticker
    You can go faster on an (almost) empty tank ... but not for long ...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Not if changing the pipes did not result in actual power gain.
    -or- decreases the weight. dumbass.
    you going to put a HEAVIER and/or more restrictive pipe on??

Thread Information