Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back on two wheels, then back off again...

Bike
    1992 KLE500

Back on two wheels, then back off again...

Not exactly new to the forum, but I am forever a noob.

After a few years living abroad and puttering around on a cheap Chinese scooter, I decided to finally get back on a real bike once again. Not much money to spare, I bought a cheap 1992 KLE 500 to do up a little and take adventuring.

Unfortunately, in what I though was a thorough inspection (in which I admittedly did find a few things wrong - but not too wrong), I did not notice the rear wheel was missing a spacer. So, a couple of days later this happened:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WsmGtKg.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	348.3 KB 
ID:	331598

Oh well, now I have a project to work on over the northern hemisphere summer...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    And you didn't hear or feel the sprocket nuts hitting the swingarm?

Bike
    1992 KLE500
    I certainly did - when the wheel bearing flew apart as I was going 120 on the motorway... Before that happened the nuts were clear of the swingarm and everything had been going swimmingly for around 500km. The guy I bought it from had just replaced the rear tire - I guess he had some parts left over when he finished.

Never trust the workmanship of a guy whose DIY attempt at giving a bike twin headlights involves a jar lid and a can of black spray pain

Name:	PxseINV.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	331599

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Unless it was an As is Where is sale, get him to have it fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Unless it was an As is Where is sale, get him to have it fixed.
    Private sale and purchase is as is and buyer beware. Its unfortunate, but thats what it is.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I certainly did - when the wheel bearing flew apart as I was going 120 on the motorway...]
    dont tell teh governmentium, that's all the proof they need that exceeding the posted limit causes explosm.

Bike
    1992 KLE500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Private sale and purchase is as is and buyer beware. Its unfortunate, but thats what it is.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Yep. Caveat emptor certainly applies here. So far the cost of new parts has exceeded the price I paid for the bike. This is also in Finland, where WOF is not compulsory for motorcycles.

dont tell teh governmentium, that's all the proof they need that exceeding the posted limit causes explosm.
    Being the law abiding citizen I am, I was not going more than the posted limit of 120kph on this particular highway.

P.S. if anyone is after a KLE 500 swingarm in "slightly damaged" condition, it is theirs for the cost of shipping!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

Being the law abiding citizen I am, I was not going more than the posted limit of 120kph on this particular highway.

P.S. if anyone is after a KLE 500 swingarm in "slightly damaged" condition, it is theirs for the cost of shipping!
    shit, sorry son i didn't realise you were a communist foreign type.

we couldn't possibly help you, cos going over 100 here is dangerous. whoo-hoo, 120... no-one could survive that.

vote akzle.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Not exactly new to the forum, but I am forever a noob.

After a few years living abroad and puttering around on a cheap Chinese scooter, I decided to finally get back on a real bike once again. Not much money to spare, I bought a cheap 1992 KLE 500 to do up a little and take adventuring.

Unfortunately, in what I though was a thorough inspection (in which I admittedly did find a few things wrong - but not too wrong), I did not notice the rear wheel was missing a spacer. So, a couple of days later this happened:

Name:	WsmGtKg.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	348.3 KB 
ID:	331598

Oh well, now I have a project to work on over the northern hemisphere summer...
    Have you tried spraying CRC 5.56?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    1992 KLE500
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Have you tried spraying CRC 5.56?
    Instructions unclear. Following the advice I found in another thread, I sprayed CRC 5.56 down the plug holes. Engine starts but bike still does not move. There is a sound coming from the bike like someone trying to cut a steel girder with a chainsaw... Maybe I need to apply more duct tape to the sprocket.

Bike
    A
    So using CRC5.56 is alright, but don't try to keep up within a group ride, watch for dogs, and whatever you do bring a good dose of luck

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Instructions unclear. Following the advice I found in another thread, I sprayed CRC 5.56 down the plug holes. Engine starts but bike still does not move. There is a sound coming from the bike like someone trying to cut a steel girder with a chainsaw... Maybe I need to apply more duct tape to the sprocket.
    are you actually retarded?

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Cassinarisation in action

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    You're obviously not using enough CRC 5.56 ... try a cup full down the plug hole. Replace the plug. Try again ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You're obviously not using enough CRC 5.56 ... try a cup full down the plug hole. Replace the plug. Try again ...
    Nah seeing 5.56 has done what it's done it's now time for some high temp graphite grease....pump that puppy up till it starts oozing out the exhaust

Thread Information