Thread: Re Registering a classic motorbike.

Bike
    1971 cb350

Re Registering a classic motorbike.

Hi there,

Im new here to get some guidance on how to proceed with re registering a 1971 cb350.

I have no owner papers or anything stating it has been on NZ roads before. I do have a black plate. I have taken it to vtnz and the told me they cannot find this plate or frame number in their system as it doesn't go back enough. They advised me to call nzta and ask them to find it on their system. I called them and they told me their system only goes back to 1993. The last rego sticker on the plate says 1985.

So i dont know what to do. How do i proceed to getting it on the road? Will i have to get it registered as a new bike? Even thought it isnt?

I thank anyone in advance for replying to my message!

Here is a picture of the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19623544_1826323847684088_4504195605622423552_n.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	331625  

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    have you got the details of who you brought it from?

Go to the local police station and get a authority of declaration form...fill it out & get it signed by the declarations officer; this only requires the make & model of the bike and it's chassis number
    then just go through the re-vinning process

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Hi You will need to go down the alternate documents route link below

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.n...ntent/alt-docs

I would also contact blue wing honda they have good records of all bikes imported new to NZ. They are generally very helpfull and if they have the info will send you a letter you can include with your application to NZTA.

If you have the old number plate and its in good order you can also get permission to reuse that keeping the bike authentic

Re-issuing black and silver ordinary plates

In certain circumstances we will allow the re-issue of a vehicle’s older style black and silver plates. The following conditions apply.

The number on the plates must be still available. Sometimes people use a number from the old black plates and put it on a personalised plate – in such cases the old plates cannot be re-used as the number has been 'taken'.
    The plates must be in good condition.
    You must prove that they were the plates issued to the vehicle when the registration was cancelled. The best evidence is the certificate of registration or other paperwork (insurance policy, repair receipts showing the registration number, etc).
    This rule only applies to those who are reregistering their vehicle. For example, if a vehicle is currently registered with plates but previously had black and silver plates, these cannot be re-issued. Any person who is reregistering their vehicle and wishes to have their black and silver plates re-issued can write to:

Business Administration
    NZ Transport Agency
    Private Bag 11777
    Palmerston North 4442

If approved, we will send you a letter to give to the agent processing your reregistration. This letter confirms that the plates may stay on the vehicle and that new plates are not required.

You will also need to do a statutory deceleration for ownership.

If it al fits in to place you should have no trouble getting it back on the road

Thread Information