Thread: NZ licensing | Can use X or Y bike with X license?

Bike
    2017, Triumph Daytona

NZ licensing | Can use X or Y bike with X license?

I know that having a learners restricts you to LAMS bikes, but the nzta don't really explain the restrictions of owning a restricted license. (At least when reffering to which bike you are allowed to ride)

My friend has a restricted license, does that allow him to ride his cbr600rr? Or my daytona675? All we know is that once we got our restricted, we could do what ever the hell we wanted.

So if there is any informative threads by nzta or this forum, can you share the link

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I know that having a learners restricts you to LAMS bikes, but the nzta don't really explain the restrictions of owning a restricted license. (At least when reffering to which bike you are allowed to ride)

My friend has a restricted license, does that allow him to ride his cbr600rr? Or my daytona675? All we know is that once we got our restricted, we could do what ever the hell we wanted.

So if there is any informative threads by nzta or this forum, can you share the link
    10 seconds on google leads you straight to it

Restricted licence conditions

You can drive on your own between 5am and 10pm.
    You must not carry any passengers on your motorcycle or moped or in any sidecar.
    You must not tow another vehicle.
    You must only ride a LAMS approved motorcycle.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...icted-licence/

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    The only difference between learner and restricted license is that the rider doesn't have to display the yellow L plate with restricted license. Its very clear on nzta website as above.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    A

No on either bike, as per LAMS list on NZTA website. As for doing whatever the hell you want, that requires a full licence

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    No on either bike, as per LAMS list on NZTA website. As for doing whatever the hell you want, that requires a full licence
    +1

Now. let's sit back and wait for the "Insurance company are bastards cause they won't pay out" thread to start

Am I being cynical?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... So if there is any informative threads by nzta or this forum, can you share the link
    Breaching the specific conditions of a restricted licence could result in 35 demerit points and a fine of $100. If you breach any other driving conditions you could be fined up to $400 and receive 25 demerit points.

https://www.drivingtests.co.nz/roadc...cense-what-ho/
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    ady buddy, you need to make sure your mate follows the simple rules. Noob riders are easy for the cops to spot. Training courses are a good idea, to give him a chance or survival. It's tough on the streets. Take care

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    +1

Now. let's sit back and wait for the "Insurance company are bastards cause they won't pay out" thread to start

Am I being cynical?
    Give it a week or two...

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Give it a week or two...
    Could it be because of the start of school holidays?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Thread Information