Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ Road Accidents

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I would say you would have had a happier life than those who have mid life crisises rather than a worse life. Afterall some guys who buy a Harley or other bike as a cure end up killing themselves on them.
    If your having a MLC and you buy a bike and kill yourself its no longer a MLC is it, more of an EOLC?

DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    To answer you question if you cant avoid the dog the thing you must absolutly ensure is that you are wearing protective gear as its unlikely you will be in a fit state to hunt down the owner which could be another answer. I dont see the logic in your thinking that if you had swerved successfuly to avoid a dog last week you would be in a better position than someone who had successfully swerved to avoid a dog 40 years ago as it all depends on your distance from the dog when they run out. You may not always have the 1/3 of a second to swerve/brake in the future like you have had in the past.
    Hmmm sorry. When hitting the animal is inevitable, falling off is still optional. You have to get off the brakes and on the gas so that the wheels are turning at impact. If the wheels are turning and the bike is balanced you have a much better chance of staying upright. Braking hard, weight forward, one or both wheels locked - not so much.

You really should consider doing a course?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Will you lot all stop talking about mid-life crises...

for goodness sake, shut up about them...

it's just SO depressing!

Here I am, retired and never experienced such a thing... experienced lots of other things of which the vast majority fall into the "that was great" category... but not a hint of a MLC ever, not even a whiff!

Guess my life was wasted... perhaps I should shove my head in the gas oven and turn it on and hope I get electrocuted!
    Hmmmm... I had one of those. Shagged the au pair (lots of times, it was great), bought a Porsche (shagged more younger women), bought a pick-up truck (shagged on the tray), bought a motorcycle (met some foxy leather clad easy shags), got divorced (ooch) - no idea why - wasn't my fault - she wasn't supporting my MLC needs. Now pist'n'broke

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I was off the brakes as I didn't have time to even apply them as I was so close. So it comes down to sheer luck as to what your proximity is from the dog when it runs out. You would have to hope the dog was real small to be able to hit it without coming off too. Your riding school is feeding you bullshit if what they have told you will very likely prevent you from coming off.
    I give up. Again.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I give up. Again.
    Arguing with cassina is like wrestling a pig in mud. Sooner or later you realise that she likes it.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Arguing with cassina is like wrestling a pig in mud. Sooner or later you realise that she likes it.
    You are right of course.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Whats a Mid Life Crisis?
    Generally a phrase used by wives and the young to describe what men do when they decide it's their life to live again,like it or lump it
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Generally a phrase used by wives and the young to describe what men do when they decide it's their life to live again,like it or lump it
    The voice of sense.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Will you lot all stop talking about mid-life crises...

for goodness sake, shut up about them...

it's just SO depressing!
    It's a crisis for everyone else. Generally speaking we've no idea anyone is thinking that and if they try to talk to us about it we're old enough to have gone deaf in that particular frequency range.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Like some others on here you will never understand me until you get some actual accident experience in this case hitting a dog. It will be sheer luck and not your riding school training if you dont come off.
    I hit a possum once on my R100RS on my way home to Nelson from the ferry in the dark.....does that count?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2013 Rocket 3. 2013 T/Bird Storm
    I hit a possum once on my R100RS on my way home to Nelson from the ferry in the dark.....does that count?
    Nah cos you wudve seen the eyes in the dark and had time to prepare for impact or other actions.

Sent from my ZTE R84 using Tapatalk

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Hit a possum once in a Ferrari, wiped out the fans....$2k ouch.......like cassina had trouble with a dog running on the road and fell off, back in the '70s practising on Prospect Tce Mt Eden for the Ceramco GP (New Lynn) missed the dog but I was over the limit anyway ended up tearing a 3 inch wide chunk of skin and flesh off my back, down to the bone, arsehole to neck. Raced next day (slowly) and needed 4 hours soaking in a bath to get the blood stained leathers off. Happy days, no regrets. A pheasant at 220k on a GPZ1100 gives you a good boof too, stayed on tho

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    you will never understand me
    You've got that right

BECAUSE

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    A guy that belonged to the Waimari motorcycle club in the 80s had a possum fall out of a tree and hit him up near Gowan bridge one night going from Murchison to Nelson

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Like some others on here you will never understand me until you get some actual accident experience in this case hitting a dog. It will be sheer luck and not your riding school training if you dont come off.
    I have all the accident experience I want thanks, and I didn't hit the dog(s). It's better not to rely too much on luck although there were times I think I may have had help from above.

Thread Information