Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian 5 day ride

Bike
    2010 GSX650F

Australian 5 day ride

I am loosely planning a 5 -7 day ride in Aussie sometime next year and am looking for ideas.
    I will probably rent a bike over there and would like to get off sealed roads and possibly do some camping.
    I am not adverse to going on an organised tour.
    So.... any suggestions on tour companies, areas in Aussie or anything 'must see or do' that I could base this trip around.

Chur
    Mac

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Oz is a big country and "features" are a long way apart-unlike NZ-be prepared for some pretty boring roads.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Unless you go to tassie. But make sure you do at least the 7 days!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...you could check these out...a good bunch of people...

http://www.garnersmotorcycles.com.au...urne_bikes.htm

Bike
    Old Bikes
    I suggest Tassie as well. You could do a lap in seven days but the longer the better.

Mainland Aussie is big. You'd need to pick one State or area and focus on that. Adelaide Hills if you do wine and stuff. Also some good museums down that way and plenty of old bikes. Northern NSW if you like windy roads and beaches. Queensland if you like heat and tropical storms.

What month are you thinking of?

Why not find a bike rally or two to attend. Or catch a race meet at Phillip Island or something.

Long way to go for just a few days though.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I've never been to Tasmania but would second that motion. The rest of it is far too big for such a short trip.

Couple of guys I know hired BMWs and rode across the Nullaboor. They were told to get off the road before late afternoon. 'Cause kamikaze kangaroos. They ignored that - until a nasty experience late on day one, after which they heeded the advice.

You're welcome to sleeping on the ground in Oz. They have so many creatures that can kill you it's not funny, and Kiwis are not best informed how to avoid them.

You will need to be aware that Australian Police are not quite the relatively benign beings that we experience in NZ. If everybody else on the road seems exceptionally law abiding by our standards, there's a reason for that. And radar detectors are banned in some states.

Or you could just go to one of the big cities and explore on foot. Or public transport. You'd see more.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Unless you go to tassie.
    i'm keen on tassie, can anyone post a map of tasmania please?

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i'm keen on tassie, can anyone post a map of tasmania please?
    You just want to see the main roots?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    R100GSPD
    one year me and my brother went to bathurst then we hired a 4wd camper ( he had heart issues) and we went out to camerons corner which is the far nw corner of nsw.So you are standing at the corner of nsw,qld and sa.You get out in the outback and there are remote caming spots with only very basic facilities.Other times we stayed at camping grounds.Some of the old sheep stations are now owned by the equivant of NSW DOC.There is history and interest aplenty.The out back roads are pretty corrugated.Once you of the seal the roads are just dirt,and if it rains they are slippery

Bike
    Old Bikes
    You might want to think about your NZ riding gear too. My Oz riding gear is hopeless in NZ. Not warm enough etc. It'll probably work the other way for your home gear in the heat.

Bike
    A
    Great idea to go for a ride in Aussie. But I'd suggest the OP lays out a map of Oz, compares it to NZ and pauses while reality sets in...

The Tasmania idea has merit.

Bike
    moped
    imac : Depends where your starting from ? There is some bloody good riding in Victoria, ie Great Ocean Road Torquay to Warrnambool even to Adelaide and back down through the Grampians, that would consume 5 days easy lots of sights to see.
    Any part of Outback riding is not to be taken lightly, so do your homework and research, and do get some good advise. you would need a couple of weeks to do any part of the outback.
    Tasmania would be far the best option for doing a 5 day bike trip, stunning scenery and very much like New Zealand, climate and temp.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Great idea to go for a ride in Aussie. But I'd suggest the OP lays out a map of Oz, compares it to NZ and pauses while reality sets in...

The Tasmania idea has merit.
    Someone once told me you can fit 27.5 NZs into Oz. Gives you some idea of scale.

Bike
    2010 GSX650F

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, yeah I know Aussie is big and full of bitey, stingey and eatey things not to mention the Popo. Just formulationg a loose plan and Tassie sounds good. I have a mate in Melbourne and he is keen to come so that might work.

I'm off to Vegas ina month and picking up a bike to do a loop through Zion, Bryce, Moab and back through Monumnet Valley so once that is behind me I'll start the Aussie planning.
    Watch this space
    Mac

Bike
    Suzuki GW250 2015
    Be aware Aussie road laws are stringently enforced. Speeding penalties for 30 to 45 over the limit is around $800 with a minimum suspension of 3 month exceed the limit by more than that and the fine is approx $2400 & minimum suspension of 6 months, depending on how the police officer views the gravity of your offence, In both examples suspension can be immediate!!

Sent from my SM-J110M using Tapatalk

Thread Information