Thread: Replacement indicators - relay size

Bike
    Yes

Replacement indicators - relay size

I have replaced my rear turning signals (front to be changed out soon). The existing bulbs are 12v23w the new 12v5w. This means (I believe) that they will not flash - presently the rear do not flash but stay on (these are now 5W and the front 23W).

I assume that i have to swap out the relay for something with less resistance? Can anyone confirm if this is correct? Presumably even once the bulbs match (both 5W) the flasher relay will still have too great resistance and will need swapping out?

I have read the other option is to install an inline resister but the relay seems to be the cleaner version.

Thanks

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Yeah you're on the right track, you need to swap out the flasher relay. There's lots of different types though with different wiring depending on whether you have separate pilot lights, hazards, all LED or a mix etc. If you take the old flasher relay to an auto electrician they'll sell you the right one
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    about 40 buck.
    get an "led" flasher as they're not dependent on load. supercrapauto or ripco will have them.
    tridon t42 rings a bell.

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Yeah you're on the right track, you need to swap out the flasher relay. There's lots of different types though with different wiring depending on whether you have separate pilot lights, hazards, all LED or a mix etc. If you take the old flasher relay to an auto electrician they'll sell you the right one
    Cheers dude. Nipped to repco, got an electronic relay and works a treat now...

Thread Information