Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who to contact about dangerous road design?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    so can you clarify, you passed the accident minutes after it happened, or you drew mud minutes after you passed it's not clear at all here.
    I passed after the event. The consequences and circumstances of the accident caused me to be shaken up as I passed.

Sorry, clear as mud.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    SH 1 at Kawakawa turnoff?-If so scene of multiple accidents.
    Hey Mark-Did you see Paihia now has traffic lights.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    SH 1 at Kawakawa turnoff?-If so scene of multiple accidents.
    Hey Mark-Did you see Paihia now has traffic lights.

Those in charge seem to make some life threatening changes to our roads.

We have an intersection that once had a busy straight through road running from town to the Castlecliff suburb with a give way on either side. Next day they reversed them, I think this was done for the now increased heavy vehicle usage. Too add even more confusion the previous straight through road now has a stop sign on one side and a giveway on the other.

The accidents seem to have been weekly since these changes, luckily its a 50kmh section so its mostly serious injury to vehicles and people rather than fatalities.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Some of the ChCh CBD has been made more dangerous too recently. If the road engineers/councils/NZTA could be charged for contributory fault in any crash resulting from the change I bet dangerous road changes would be a thing of the past.
    Ride to the condition?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Ride to the condition?
    Don't try to introduce logic and rationality, it doesn't work with some.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    There are a number of NZTA safety initiatives, as well as standards that road designers must follow when designing roads (and associated structures eg bridges). New designs must meet strict criteria before being approved for construction. Designers and constructors work together to avoid things like counter flows (where traffic is diverted the "wrong" way temporarily, eg on an off ramp, or on the wrong side of the road) - sometimes it is unavoidable due to building a road 'on-line' and working alongside live lanes of traffic.

At the end of the day road users need to take 'more' care. I think most riders know this better than most drivers, because we are so insignificant (size, presence, visibility) and the consequences of getting it wrong so much higher.

Bike
    A
    What gets me sometimes is the variation that is applied to road layouts/designs from region to region. Must say the new stuff I've seen put together in the last decade has a more consistent standard. As an example things like temporary speed limits applied to works sections, in the Waikato you might see 900 cones put out and a 30 km/h limit, whereas north of Auckland the same type of works carried out sees maybe a dozen cones and not a speed restriction in sight...

Just talking about road works sections, as much as I detest slowing down for temporary speed limits when there's no valid reason for them, as in no work being done and/or no loose stones or gravel about...I still slow down and find it amusing how quickly there's nobody in front of me anymore while my mirrors are all of a sudden full of vehicles. Being a trucker the tailgating muppets don't bother me, whereas on the bike this needs to be managed differently.

Overall I've yet to see many instances where one could truly blame the road, as in either condition of, or design of such. I know it's a cliché but drive/ride to the conditions and it's not usually any bother.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    What gets me sometimes is the variation that is applied to road layouts/designs from region to region. Must say the new stuff I've seen put together in the last decade has a more consistent standard. As an example things like temporary speed limits applied to works sections, in the Waikato you might see 900 cones put out and a 30 km/h limit, whereas north of Auckland the same type of works carried out sees maybe a dozen cones and not a speed restriction in sight...

Just talking about road works sections, as much as I detest slowing down for temporary speed limits when there's no valid reason for them, as in no work being done and/or no loose stones or gravel about...I still slow down and find it amusing how quickly there's nobody in front of me anymore while my mirrors are all of a sudden full of vehicles. Being a trucker the tailgating muppets don't bother me, whereas on the bike this needs to be managed differently.

Overall I've yet to see many instances where one could truly blame the road, as in either condition of, or design of such. I know it's a cliché but drive/ride to the conditions and it's not usually any bother.

Agree, I also believe like many other accidents besides road users , Familiarity/complacency is often the culprit, never mind mentioning bad habits.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Don't try to introduce logic and rationality, it doesn't work with some.
    Oh man!!! I'm so sorry I forgot...!! I'll see myself out.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    Agree, I also believe like many other accidents besides road users , Familiarity/complacency is often the culprit, never mind mentioning bad habits.
    Absolutely right. One specific example is outriding our stopping distance around bends, resulting in collision with obstruction. So do we blame the slow tractor or broken down car for such an accident? Nope, we weren't riding to the conditions were we. Never mind the fact too many riders don't actually practice emergency stops...

Bike
    A
    So many on here say that sticking to the speed advisory sign where there is one is for wimps. I remember a few years back someone on here said their mate came to grief on a bend hitting gravel while riding above the speed advsory. I said they may not have come off if they had stuck to the advisory speed and the muppet replied saying I was wrong. So some on here will never learn I guess and would rather risk crashing and maybe dying rather than being known as a wimp.
    Partly agree with you, letting ones' ego get in the way of safety is never a good idea.

But what I'm talking about is not about corner speed advisory signs, but rather not outrunning our vanishing point.

Say you're approaching a 55 advisory corner, yet with a clear view and vanishing point moving away from you, it's not unusual to then be able to run thru this corner above the advisory quite safely.

But that 35 advisory corner with a vanishing point that is coming back to us will have us in trouble if we outrun our stopping distance, and then encounter loose gravel...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    the person at fault failed to give way but it was determined they were travelling at the speed limit.
    If they were supposed to be stopped but were doing the speed limit, they were speeding. It's all relative.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    At every intersection there are lines for traffic to follow. White line, giveway rules apply. Yellow line, stop rules apply. Unless traffic lights control the intersection. You don't need to look for a sign to tell you whether its giveway rules time or stop time. Signs can be blown away by Acts of God (wind). Lines on road remain.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    At every intersection there are lines for traffic to follow. White line, giveway rules apply. Yellow line, stop rules apply. Unless traffic lights control the intersection. You don't need to look for a sign to tell you whether its giveway rules time or stop time. Signs can be blown away by Acts of God (wind). Lines on road remain.

This piece of road has none of the above and it's open road speed limit.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    This piece of road has none of the above and it's open road speed limit.
    So two roads are crossing each like + and have no road markings anywhere with open road speed limits?

Thread Information