Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who to contact about dangerous road design?

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    So two roads are crossing each like + and have no road markings anywhere with open road speed limits?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Nah, I don't think OP said anything like that, it was just Cassie making shit up again...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    So two roads are crossing each like + and have no road markings anywhere with open road speed limits?

Not a cross roads although I could mention an unmarked one not very far away which will eventually cause a fatal.

An unmarked junction just beyond a blind corner on a fast bit of road, the layout actually encourages you to go faster. There is a reduce speed sign before the corner but it implies that you slow for the corner, it drops off vertically at the road side... I know these two sentences are contradictory but that's how it is. As I said in my original post I do not want to post details, wish I could but it would probably start the usual shit fight and would be exceedingly insensitive to someone who is no doubt suffering immensely at the moment.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    I have no reason to not believe what you are saying, it does look to be an oversight and strange though. I also understand what you are saying. Let it be before it strikes.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Not a cross roads although I could mention an unmarked one not very far away which will eventually cause a fatal.

An unmarked junction just beyond a blind corner on a fast bit of road, the layout actually encourages you to go faster. There is a reduce speed sign before the corner but it implies that you slow for the corner, it drops off vertically at the road side... I know these two sentences are contradictory but that's how it is. As I said in my original post I do not want to post details, wish I could but it would probably start the usual shit fight and would be exceedingly insensitive to someone who is no doubt suffering immensely at the moment.
    So did you get hold of anyone at NZTA? Interested to see how you got on.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    +1 me too...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I used an app called Snap Send Solve to report a grit patch a few weeks back. Details go to the local road controlling authority.

It had been there for weeks. Two days after I reported it, it was swept up.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I used an app called Snap Send Solve to report a grit patch a few weeks back. Details go to the local road controlling authority.

Possibly coincidental...
    But encouraging
    Brakes as new

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

I don't think it as on here but I have seen other recommendations for Snap Send Solve in the last few days. Sounds like NZTA like it as they get to see the actual problem straight away, and have been responding to issues raised by it much faster than they do for problems reported via other places.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Too late!!!
    Cassies seen it!!!

PULL OUT! PULL OUT!!!!
    is what someone should have told her dad...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I had a good conversation with the NZTA lady about the accident. Quite considered actually. I suggested better signage as an option, probably the only option. Apparently this stretch of road is under review in a Northland road improvement plan.
    As yet, no further contact and no new signs but their are loads of road workers around the place. Fingers crossed.

TBH I doubt signs would make a big difference, only to those who heed signs with a red border.
    The reduce speed sign is solid red and immense but most folk have the pedal to the metal thinking it just applies to the drop off and they have to get past those trucks and campervans, it's a passing lane, so they do.

I travel this bit of road daily and I'm a road craft zealot. It still gives me the shits that after years of riding and driving this stretch I never spotted the specific causes of this accident.

Sorry it's all so ambiguous. Showing the location and explaining my take on what happened may connect somebody to the rider involved and I have no control over the consequences of that.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    The reduce speed sign is solid red and immense but most folk have the pedal to the metal thinking it just applies to the drop off and they have to get past those trucks and campervans, it's a passing lane, so they do.
    To be honest those signs are shit as they don't know what speed you are doing and don't tell you what you have to reduce speed for. There's a pair on the road from Queenstown to Arrowtown either side of a reverse curve that doesn't even warrant an advisory speed and a huge one as you come in to Dunedin before the 50km/h signs.

Even better is another one on the outskirts of Queenstown that shouts "YOU MUST REDUCE SPEED NOW". Now if it told you there was a skifield turn off just around the blind corner you might take a bit more care, especially during the ski season. As it is it just gets ignored. Have never seen one that made sense.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    To be honest those signs are shit as they don't know what speed you are doing and don't tell you what you have to reduce speed for. There's a pair on the road from Queenstown to Arrowtown either side of a reverse curve that doesn't even warrant an advisory speed and a huge one as you come in to Dunedin before the 50km/h signs.

Even better is another one on the outskirts of Queenstown that shouts "YOU MUST REDUCE SPEED NOW". Now if it told you there was a skifield turn off just around the blind corner you might take a bit more care, especially during the ski season. As it is it just gets ignored. Have never seen one that made sense.
    Very pertinent post.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...signage like Berries says , is only relevant if it means something...the (little, slight, shallow, not far off straight, kink) at the end of my road that intersects HW75 at Riddled Liver has been the site of so many prangs, mainly cars over the thirty years I've been here is fucking ridiculous.
    ...Reduce Speed sign then a 70kmh sign on a road that everyone thinks is a GP track does not inform the fools on the highway that two intersections with not very good visibility are there as soon as the curve is rounded...even at 70 it is a quick or dead situation for us locals who want to pull out onto the highway but 60 or 70% of the fuckwits don't drop below 90k's or more...twenty years we have tried to get LTSA or whoever does road speeds to sort it...every new generation of parent with kids gets together and tries again...the authorities excuse for not doing anything, "Nobody lives on the rural side of the main road'...
    ...maybe it's this excuse, reason, that cunts doing 100ks and overtaking slower vehicles on the village stretch of the highway act like fuckwits too...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Their are a lot of similarities there ellipsis.

Only traffic is at risk here, the whole road layout is about overtaking, making head way past slower traffic over a hill. Thing is, you come around the corner expecting clear road in front of you, as you overtake, to find a stationary car. Maybe 70 metres from the car when you see the apex, on the wide line, maybe more. Straight line braking is a max of 50 mtrs. Don't quote me on the distances but I've measured it enough driving past that I know by the time your eye brows have gone up, your sphincter has snapped shut and your nuts have nudged your brain into gear the braking time has gone.

A car stopped to turn right in the face of oncoming traffic, in the passing lane, just past a blind corner. 3 dimensions of traffic in 3 lanes and your next round the bend.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Oop here I think most of the budget is being spent on just keeping roads open. You don't have to ride far to see the road falling down a bank or a bank falling on the road every time it rains.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information