Thread: MT07 Fun

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07

Cool MT07 Fun

Been a bit quiet on the forums lately but I am still alive and kicking!!!

After much consideration, researching and tips from some of you I decided to get an MT07la. I felt that if I had gone with an R3 I would have got bored fairly quickly and also with all of the hills around the South Island it would probably be a little asthmatic. Despite the cold miserable winter days I have been getting out there most weeks weather permitting and enjoying the new (to me) world of motorcycling. So far my favourite ride is down to Tairoa Head and back. Who knew that a monotonous winding trip in a car would be a motorcyclists dream lol! I have also been practicing slow manovouring and emergency braking, getting a feel for the bike and preparing myself as to what to expect under heavy braking etc.

Only another 200 odd km left until its 1000km service so I should probably book that in sometime soon. Anyway enough of my ramblings on, just thought I would share a quick update with you all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3131.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	752.2 KB 
ID:	331815

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Enjoy. They get great write ups.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Thank you. I'm glad you shared.

What do you think of the motor? I'm assuming it's the LAM's restricted model.

I ask because the upcoming 700 Tenere / T7 is very much on my radar.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Thank you. I'm glad you shared.

What do you think of the motor? I'm assuming it's the LAM's restricted model.

I ask because the upcoming 700 Tenere / T7 is very much on my radar.
    Yes it's the lams version. I find it has enough up and go for my needs. Still breaking it in so not flogging it to death but at 100 has no issue passing other cars in the blink of an eye, what more do you really need?? It's smooth and sounds nice though very quiet but they do sound nice with aftermarket exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Would 700 Tenere have 655 (LAMS engine) or the full power 689 engine?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    I looked at MT-07, went to the dealer to buy. At the last moment saw XSR700 and bought that. Same engine, gearbox, most of the frame but different. Really liking the engine, doesn't complain about being in any gear.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Good choice. So much more bike than the R3.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Would 700 Tenere have 655 (LAMS engine) or the full power 689 engine?

Good question. Considering it's design intentions I would guess full powers. If it's LAM's I might as well get an asthmatic 660. No, I might as well keep my TDM and spend some money on it via Weight Watchers. I'm over 4t singles, bless em.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Good question. Considering it's design intentions I would guess full powers. If it's LAM's I might as well get an asthmatic 660. No, I might as well keep my TDM and spend some money on it via Weight Watchers. I'm over 4t singles, bless em.
    i got over 4 t singles in about three months in 1978.

Bike
    I hope its full power version. But interestingly, Yamaha released mt-07 in both versions in NZ yet xsr700 in LAMS only (overseas full power version is available). You never know what's in their mind.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I hope its full power version. But interestingly, Yamaha released mt-07 in both versions in NZ yet xsr700 in LAMS only (overseas full power version is available). You never know what's in their mind.

From a design perspective that's why I like Yamaha. They have made some clever bikes. In a fun and reliability context. The MT range seems to be aimed at affordable fun with no worries. The do all bikes of choice for your average Joe.

Currently the T7 finished bike is a mystery, shrouded, literally.

I have yet to see a video of any of the MT / XSR models without a wheelie in it. LAM's bikes have helium in the front tire, too, apparently.

We shall see in due course.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2011 Honda CBR 250R
    Why would they do that? When I got my MT-07 (HO, of course, not LA), they had used HOs, but no used LAs. And they mentioned that they sold more new HOs than LAs.

I'm only two weeks into my MT-07, but it's great so far. Coming from 6 years with a CBR 250R. All my complaints with the MT-07 are related to the bad habits I picked up on the CBR. The longer I'm on the MT-07, the worse the CBR seems, in comparison.

The reviews slammed the MT-07 for spongy feel in the brakes and handling, but I've found that to not be true. The brakes take more force, but you grab and squeeze until you are stopping the way you want. Yes, more force is needed, but the brake is linear and more than enough to stop you.

The 2017 comes with ABS standard, something never available (in NZ) before, though an option elsewhere in the world. But I haven't had it activate yet. Will try it when I have a good opportunity.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Why would they do that? When I got my MT-07 (HO, of course, not LA), they had used HOs, but no used LAs. And they mentioned that they sold more new HOs than LAs.

I'm only two weeks into my MT-07, but it's great so far. Coming from 6 years with a CBR 250R. All my complaints with the MT-07 are related to the bad habits I picked up on the CBR. The longer I'm on the MT-07, the worse the CBR seems, in comparison.

The reviews slammed the MT-07 for spongy feel in the brakes and handling, but I've found that to not be true. The brakes take more force, but you grab and squeeze until you are stopping the way you want. Yes, more force is needed, but the brake is linear and more than enough to stop you.

The 2017 comes with ABS standard, something never available (in NZ) before, though an option elsewhere in the world. But I haven't had it activate yet. Will try it when I have a good opportunity.

Ting is with reviews they have to find a niggle. The MT's are reasonably budget compared to a lot of their competition so they lose out in some areas. As you say, that does not mean the criticised parts of the bike are rubbish. Just not as good as something that costs a few grand more.

I think a LAM's Tenere is a long shot, depends on how well it sells. BMW shift a fair few LAM's bikes in that sort of category but it's a small percentage of the total model sales.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information