Page 248 of 285 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250258 ... LastLast
Results 3,706 to 3,720 of 4262

Thread: The 2017 Election Thread

Bike
    motocompo
    I see Labour is about to make it easier for the lazy & disorganised to vote come next election.
    They clearly understand who their supporters are.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...anges-for-2020
    Voting, for me has always involved putting in a bit of effort to go somewhere I don't usually go, which I felt prevented people from voting on a whim, a bit like picking up a Crunchie bar while paying for petrol.
    Oh well, nothing special about it now. You can even enroll at the same time.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I see Labour is about to make it easier for the lazy & disorganised to vote come next election.
    They clearly understand who their supporters are.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...anges-for-2020
    Voting for me has always involved putting in a bit of effort to go somewhere I don't usually go, which I felt prevented people from voting on a whim, a bit like picking up a crunchier bar while paying for petrol.
    Oh well, nothing special about it now. You can even enroll at the same time.
    Voting booths exclusively at teh queue at WINZ wouldn't surprise me.

Not sure what our turnout is nowadays but it used to be high by international standards. Higher than the US, where it's supposedly compulsory.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Voting booths exclusively at teh queue at WINZ wouldn't surprise me.
    Haven't heard of that, but there did used to be a guy in the foyer of the local office asking anyone who entered the building if they wished to enrol. WINZ were in the building, as were lawyers, accountants, surveyors and others.

Actually I approve of the moves. It's a major contrast to the gerrymandering and voter supression that goes on the US.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Haven't heard of that, but there did used to be a guy in the foyer of the local office asking anyone who entered the building if they wished to enrol. WINZ were in the building, as were lawyers, accountants, surveyors and others.

Actually I approve of the moves. It's a major contrast to the gerrymandering and voter supression that goes on the US.
    And there you go again acting like you know an ounce of what your talking about.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

Yeah I remember that, a sort of internal, under the counter reverse gerrymandering.

I dunno, though, I tend to think that if you struggle to get out of bed to vote then I'm not sure if your opinion about how the country should work is all that valuable.

In fact I could make a strong case for voting eligibility dependent on a short economics quiz. Maybe some history.

Bike
    motocompo
    Phil can wash his hands of it now.
    https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/...sing-portfolio
    If only it was that easy in real life.
    Apparently it's not an admission of failure, it's that the portfolio was too big for one minister.
    These ministers can employ as many minions as they require, it's hardly like he was doing it himself at all.
    The guy had failure written all over him prior to the election & he didn't dissapoint.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Phil can wash his hands of it now.
    https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/...sing-portfolio
    If only it was that easy in real life.
    Apparently it's not an admission of failure, it's that the portfolio was too big for one minister.
    These ministers can employ as many minions as they require, it's hardly like he was doing it himself at all.
    The guy had failure written all over him prior to the election & he didn't dissapoint.
    A total bunch of fuckwits.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    A total bunch of fuckwits.
    And announce it all the night before they all head off on a few weeks well earned leave & can't be interviewed about it until it's old news.
    120 homes to date when we were promised 1000 by now, & the gullible & stupid voted for it in droves.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/113...mmon-rent-rise

who would have thunk it -- eh well, least you'll live in an insulated home with a heater ?? >_>

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post

who would have thunk it -- eh well, least you'll live in an insulated home with a heater ?? >_>
    Are they really "vulnerable renters"? $120 buys $120 worth of product, I can do them one for six times that at the mo if they want, very nice it is too.
    Of course it's going to be a cold dark garage if nobody turns the light on or puts a heater on in Christchurch at this time of year, cut the emotional crap headliner.
    Some people either fear the commitment of owning a home, or want to live a life of luxury in a beautiful rented home instead of doing the hard graft to get there of their own accord.
    Nobody is forcing anybody to rent a house anywhere, the whole thing is driven from the free will of the renter, with the law stacked firmly in their favour.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    the gov was warned that this was going to happen too, their reasoning for forcing accommodation standards right now was they'll build more state homes/kiwibuild to saturate the market and drive down rents before the rent increase would be passed on... or something like that? (out of touch with everything including TIME)

that's' the problem when you have ministers with no real world experience, just ideals based upon reading a book and talking in coffee houses

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post

"with the new insulation rules for rental homes coming into effect on July 1, we think landlords may be passing this cost on to tenants."
    Ya think?

Seems there's a abundance of articles in every news source almost daily expressing indignant outrage any time a tenant is expected to pay somewhere close to the actual cost of supplying a house.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Ya think?

Seems there's a abundance of articles in every news source almost daily expressing indignant outrage any time a tenant is expected to pay somewhere close to the actual cost of supplying a house.
    It's not landlord greed, it's simply a matter of survival.
    Just the difference between a floating rate or a fixed rate can be the difference between sink or swim.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Are they really "vulnerable renters"? $120 buys $120 worth of product, I can do them one for six times that at the mo if they want, very nice it is too.
    Of course it's going to be a cold dark garage if nobody turns the light on or puts a heater on in Christchurch at this time of year, cut the emotional crap.
    Some people either fear the commitment of owning a home, or want to live a life of luxury in a beautiful rented home instead of doing the hard graft to get there of their own accord.
    Nobody is forcing anybody to rent a house anywhere, the whole thing is driven from the free will of the renter, with the law stacked firmly in their favour.
    My partner showed a prospective tenant around a 3 bedroom property recently. They asked if the walls were insulated. Er' no, it's 30 years old. They demanded that we were obliged, by law, to do this. She agreed to have all the walls pulled down and insulation installed but the rent would have to cover the cost. $900 per week was suggested. First payment due when the builders turned up.

I believe they are still looking for somewhere to live.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    My partner showed a prospective tenant around a 3 bedroom property recently. They asked if the walls were insulated. Er' no, it's 30 years old. They demanded that we were obliged, by law, to do this. She agreed to have all the walls pulled down and insulation installed but the rent would have to cover the cost. $900 per week was suggested. First payment due when the builders turned up.

I believe they are still looking for somewhere to live.
    Oh, an "I know my rights" tenant. Second best kind.
    If anyone (Husa) can be arsed to dig back through my posts I did say these things would drive rent up, over a year ago.

Thread Information