Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happened next?

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Ride like a wimp on bends (taking notice of speed advisory signs where posted) and you may have a chance of missing such slippery patches but ride like Rossi and there is little chance.
    That may have been exactly the problem. The sun is right in your eyes on those corners at this time of year, so I take it easy. Maybe if I'd been riding like normal it would have been fine.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    No, the next RH corner. No advisory, and I used to take it quite fast until the stones disappeared over the last 2-3 years. It's a great sequence of corners, because there's the 35 RH, a faster LH, then the one where I crashed.

The bike was in 3rd when I picked it up, so I doubt I was doing much more than 60 - 70? No braking into the corner and maintaining speed when the bike slid.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Well thats just shit. Glad you are not badly banged up.

Yes Ive noted that corner had a lot of bleed. Mind If I borrow the pic?

Im currently trying to find out if Wet and Forget will get rid of moss on roads that I travel on. If it wont make the road slippery after application I may wander up in the car with a sprayer.
    Yeah, feel free to use the photo.

Maybe some of the ACC levy could go to spraying Wet and Forget.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    No, the next RH corner. No advisory, and I used to take it quite fast until the stones disappeared over the last 2-3 years. It's a great sequence of corners, because there's the 35 RH, a faster LH, then the one where I crashed.

The bike was in 3rd when I picked it up, so I doubt I was doing much more than 60 - 70? No braking into the corner and maintaining speed when the bike slid.
    What a bastard. Very little chance of saving the front under those conditions.

I've noticed boats trailing bilgewater all over the road before now, never really thought of it as a hazard, but from a bikers' perspective it most certainly is.

The local council might be persuaded to invest in a sign asking boaties to re-fit plugs before leaving the ramp, but you'd probably have to convince them it was the correct practice. Not that the boaties are likely to take too much notice.

And fuck knows how you deal with it on a nation wide scale...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Its a Boat
    The where's why's and how's woulda' shoulda' coulda' can be discussed endlessly, fact is it's a motorcycling indecent (thankfully not an accident) that can happen with any foreign substance on the road surface. Your sense of smell can help with a spilled substances like cow shit, but some spillages can not be seen or smelled until you're standing beside your bike thinking ''what the hell just happened there''.

You could always hand it over to nzspokes pending new charity venture.
    ''Im currently trying to find out if Wet and Forget will get rid of moss on roads that I travel on. If it wont make the road slippery after application I may wander up in the car with a sprayer.''

''If there's something strange on the road ahead, who you gonna call, Moss Busters''

Bike
    suzuki
    So, you're riding into this corner. Sunday afternoon just after the climb north from Kawakawa Bay.

The bike on the roadside is a clue.
    you rang star555 to get the slippery shit cleaned up?

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    you rang star555 to get the slippery shit cleaned up?
    Too late, it'd already rained again... (Auckland eh... )
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

I call bullshit. Check YOUR photo. I looked at the next TWO right hand bends ... there were NO yellow/black arrow corner indicating signs and no next right hand corner in the background ... which both are clearly seen in your photo.

The next RH bends show (or need) neither.

Perhaps ... speed WAS a factor in your incident ... and you did say 60 - 70 km/hr (in a 35 km/hr corner). Then have the gall to blame the council for a shit road ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    But many on here except for me will say taking notice of those signs is for wimps and I would imagine if you were on a group ride and were the only one to take notice of the sign you would be laughed at by the rest of the group.
    The speed highest advisory sign is 95 km/hr. the advised speed warnings drop in 10 km/hr increments ... ie: 95, 85, 75, 65 ... and so on down to 15 km/hr. The lower the number ... the more notice and the closer you need to be at the advised speed. eg: Try doing a 15 km/hr corner at 20 km/hr.

The riders ability and road conditions are the important factors in safe corner speed. The OP's photo showed a wet road and smooth wheel tracks in the seal.

Bike
    noooo don't say that, you'll only give cass "traction" (wait for it...)

(P.S. that google maps shot is 5 years old... things might have changed... the state of the seal CERTAINLY has)
    Brakes as new

Bike
    toldya
    Brakes as new

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    I call bullshit. Check YOUR photo. I looked at the next TWO right hand bends ... there were NO yellow/black arrow corner indicating signs and no next right hand corner in the background ... which both are clearly seen in your photo.

The next RH bends show (or need) neither.

Perhaps ... speed WAS a factor in your incident ... and you did say 60 - 70 km/hr (in a 35 km/hr corner). Then have the gall to blame the council for a shit road ...
    Yeah, you're right. I have another photo taken the other way that shows the Beachcomber Motel sign, which has changed since the Google street view photo. The link shows the corner entry, whereas my photo is past the apex. I just don't recall seeing that huge 35 sign, so assumed it was the next corner. Thanks for pointing that out.

Great example of how reliable memory can be!

I wasn't going that fast then, probably more like 50 - 60, which certainly isn't too quick for that corner. I didn't accelerate much up the hill towards the corner as I knew I'd be riding into the sun.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, you're right. I have another photo taken the other way that shows the Beachcomber Motel sign, which has changed since the Google street view photo. The link shows the corner entry, whereas my photo is past the apex. I just don't recall seeing that huge 35 sign, so assumed it was the next corner. Thanks for pointing that out.

Great example of how reliable memory can be!

I wasn't going that fast then, probably more like 50 - 60, which certainly isn't too quick for that corner. I didn't accelerate much up the hill towards the corner as I knew I'd be riding into the sun.
    Those "huge" 35 km signs ... is an indicator/WARNING of many past accidents on a corner. "Not seeing" one in the future may kill you ... regardless of the road or weather conditions.

A poor memory didn't cause you to miss the sign ... if you did miss seeing it ... get your eyes checked. The sign was big enough to blot out the sun ...

If you have reported it to the police/council (non injury accidents must be reported to Police within 7 days) ... you could be charged with careless/dangerous driving. If you just complain to the council ... THEY will notify police if they think they have no fault.

The ball is in your court ... ACC are just waiting for more ammunition against motorcyclists.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Those "huge" 35 km signs ... is an indicator/WARNING of many past accidents on a corner. "Not seeing" one in the future may kill you ... regardless of the road or weather conditions.

A poor memory didn't cause you to miss the sign ... if you did miss seeing it ... get your eyes checked. The sign was big enough to blot out the sun ...

If you have reported it to the police/council (non injury accidents must be reported to Police within 7 days) ... you could be charged with careless/dangerous driving. If you just complain to the council ... THEY will notify police if they think they have no fault.

The ball is in your court ... ACC are just waiting for more ammunition against motorcyclists.
    Take it easy mate. It's not good for your health to wind yourself up like that

I DIDN'T NOTICE THE SIGN AFTER I CAME OFF. THAT IS WHY I THOUGHT I WAS AT THE NEXT CORNER.

I know that corner has a 35 advisory. Yes, you'd have to be blind to miss the sign, but no it definitely doesn't blot out the sun.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    noooo don't say that, you'll only give cass "traction" (wait for it...)

(P.S. that google maps shot is 5 years old... things might have changed... the state of the seal CERTAINLY has)
    That 35 km sign would only have got bigger ... not removed. The photo was taken in dry weather from a different angle. But granted ... it could only have got worse. It wasn't looking that flash on Google anyway.

You ride to the conditions on the day ... not to the conditions you rode it on a previous time (things DO change). An admission of "Not seeing" the huge 35 sign is admitting poor observational skills. 50 - 70 km/hr is not too slow to be killed on a corner.

Another "Cassina" maybe .. ???

Thread Information