Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happened next?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Those "huge" 35 km signs ... is an indicator/WARNING of many past accidents on a corner. "Not seeing" one in the future may kill you ... regardless of the road or weather conditions.

A poor memory didn't cause you to miss the sign ... if you did miss seeing it ... get your eyes checked. The sign was big enough to blot out the sun ...

If you have reported it to the police/council (non injury accidents must be reported to Police within 7 days) ... you could be charged with careless/dangerous driving. If you just complain to the council ... THEY will notify police if they think they have no fault.

The ball is in your court ... ACC are just waiting for more ammunition against motorcyclists.
    I have missed one, no I think I saw it but by the time I had registered/calculated the safe corner speed of 25 I was at the corner, almost needed to use the left indicator. It was a left hander between Waihi and Whangamata heading north.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I made a claim about a year or so ago that speed advisory signs were put there as a result of the number of crashes on a particular bend and someone replied back saying that accidents were not the reason for them but gave a reason that had something to do with physics.
    It was just another of your stupid claims in ignorance ... the usual small signs are not there as an indicator of the number of accidents. LARGE advisory signs with arrows on the signs ...and small signs with directional arrows on the outside of corners ... are.

The usual advisory signs are small and shaped like this .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:N...5_(35_kmh).svg

Physics is used to find the advisory limit.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    You have a poor memory of my posts as I have said on here numerous times I take notice of those signs but many on here dont as they do not want to be known as the wimp on their group rides.
    I take notice of LARGE advisory signs with arrows ... but I dont ignore (or totally disregard) the small ones either. and especially if I am unfamiliar with the road.

Assumptions are the mother of all fuck-ups on the road.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The comments on here about it over a year or so ago said nothing about any advisory signs being put up due to accidents. How would the public in general know the difference anyway as an arrow symbol does not symbolise death but a cross does and maybe there should be crosses put up so people know they are approching a corner where they could die if they do not take notice of the sign.
    Not ALL accidents result in death ... otherwise you would be dead after your first dog ...

If the cross is at a corner ... it might not be much of a warning ... and probably a little late. LARGE REFLECTIVE SIGNS WITH ARROWS ARE (should be) ... an effective warning ...

But not if your name is Cassina ... apparently ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    No not to replace the arrow just in addition. Dont they say crosses on the side of the road where people have actually died have a slowing down effect. So on bends as well may also work in addition to arrows. Riders under pressure to keep up or to play Rossi will ignore any signage though. Slap them with $1000 ACC premiums if they come off and are still able to ride again maybe.
    They may slow down AFTER they see them. Not BEFORE the problem area.

Not all accidents/deaths occur in corners ... some occur on straight roads. With no other vehicle involved.

The OP gave no indication he was with another rider ... or was under pressure to travel at a speed he was not comfortable with.

He said he knew the corner had a 35 km/hr advisory sign (how could you miss it ??) ... but by his own admission ignored it. 60 - 70 km/hr into a 35 km/hr corner on rising road .. on a wet road ... into a setting sun.

He's alive so a good outcome.

Has HE learned anything ... unlikely.

Will he do it again ... probably not on that corner ...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    They may slow down AFTER they see them. Not BEFORE the problem area.

Not all accidents/deaths occur in corners ... some occur on straight roads. With no other vehicle involved.

The OP gave no indication he was with another rider ... or was under pressure to travel at a speed he was not comfortable with.

He said he knew the corner had a 35 km/hr advisory sign (how could you miss it ??) ... but by his own admission ignored it. 60 - 70 km/hr into a 35 km/hr corner on rising road .. on a wet road ... into a setting sun.

He's alive so a good outcome.

Has HE learned anything ... unlikely.

Will he do it again ... probably not on that corner ...
    That corner is easy at 60 to 70. It was not raining. Just bilge water from a boat in the centre. Speed was not that high at a guess as the damage to the rider and bike was light. The road was the root cause here. Time for Councils to fix roads not just put up signs.

A Roadcraft rider would have gone into the corner on the left hand side and may well have missed that water, but you cant expect all riders to know Roadcraft lines etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I read once that corners were the biggest killer in single motorcycle crashes. I wonder if guys that go to riding school are told that.
    Captain fucking Obvious strikes again.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    That corner is easy at 60 to 70. It was not raining. Just bilge water from a boat in the centre. Speed was not that high at a guess as the damage to the rider and bike was light. The road was the root cause here. Time for Councils to fix roads not just put up signs.

A Roadcraft rider would have gone into the corner on the left hand side and may well have missed that water, but you cant expect all riders to know Roadcraft lines etc.
    I noticed something while studying that corner ... the previous corner was a 35 km corner in a 70 km/hr zone. Then this sign ... which always gets the throttle hand moving.

He said the bike was in third when he picked it up ... was he riding the R1 he claims to have in each of his posts ... ?? Do you think he'd stick at 70 km/hr to the next 35 km corner ... ???

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-36.9...7i13312!8i6656

I doubt it was just about the lack of roadcraft that bit him ... just too much speed on a wet road.

He'll probably tell you he knows the road too ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I read once that corners were the biggest killer in single motorcycle crashes. I wonder if guys that go to riding school are told that.
    Actually it's referred to as loss of control/run off road ... in 2016, 36% of motorcycle fatal accidents on the 100 km/hr open road were from this.

Loss of control on right hand bend accounted for 13% of accidents ... left hand bends an additional 9%. And strangely enough ... a further 10% lost control on straight roads. There must be more Cassina's out there than I thought ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Captain fucking Obvious strikes again.....
    Remember ... statistics only show reported accidents. Will the OP report his accident I wonder ... ???

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Remember ... statistics only show reported accidents. Will the OP report his accident I wonder ... ???
    Hospital waiting room some years ago, an Intern (or such like) stopped in front of a family who were their because there son had been admitted to the ED. One of the family members had rode his motorbike to the hospital and was holding his helmet, the Intern (or such like) was asking questions about the son in the ED and wrote down that it was an accident involving a motorcycle, it was pointed out that that was not case but the Intern (or such like) said ''I have already wrote in down''.

It was probably added to the statistics.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The difference between my crashes is that they were with things moving which involves a substantial degree of luck to try and avoid which is dependent on how far away you are when the moving object gets in your way. With a road or bend unless your bike develops a fault you are in a far greater position to swerve/brake/lower speed than if the object that gets in your way is moving towards you. For riders that have loss of control problems when they ride riding school would definitly help them. How controlable your bike is would depend on its size and power too.
    It has been said MLC guys buy bikes more likely to be too big and uncontrollable than non MLC guys.
    The part of my post that you quoted was single vehicle accidents.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Speed was not that high at a guess as the damage to the rider and bike was light. The road was the root cause here.
    What a shame he wasn't going in the other direction.

You could have blamed the sidestand spring.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Even guy's that have had sex education ... can still get their girlfriend pregnant.

Knowledge is useless if you don't use it ... part of the "It wont happen to me" syndrome ...

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    I just really appreciate broad sweeping generalisations, with no or little actual comprehension of anything valuable.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Thread Information