Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't inflate tyre at gas station

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifsn8u View Post
    Or get a tyre pump and pressure gauge, do tyre checks at home when the tyres are cold.
    This is the way.[/QUOTE]

That is indeed the way. I have a track pump for the pushbike, but it aso does for the Triumph and for the car. Still, none of that would solve the OP's problem. He needs an adapter until he can get proper valves next time he buys rubber.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    z800
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    This is the way.
    That is indeed the way. I have a track pump for the pushbike, but it aso does for the Triumph and for the car. Still, none of that would solve the OP's problem. He needs an adapter until he can get proper valves next time he buys rubber.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression he was having difficulty at petrol stations. So the above probably would help him, seeing most ends on pumps you by are no where as long as the ones at petrol stations.

I like your humour by the way.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    You can buy right angled extensions from any push bike shop-cheap.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    a boot on the stem and a bit of an upward pull puts enough of a kink in the fitting to do the trick at the local garage.i wonder if said kink is the reason why i had to do it again the other day?
    yep, "bend it like Becks" !!!

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Pete's on the job.

Personally I wouldn't leave them on, I only used them to pump up the tyre.

To the OP, when you buy tyres/tubes again, specify right angled valves. Spare yourself the drama.
    Same. I have one for each bike jacket too so no matter what I'm wearing and no matter what bike I'm on I always have one handy.

I managed to break my CBRs rear valve stem late at night on the way to Chch from Picton which prompted such organisational skills haha.

Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifsn8u View Post
    Or get a tyre pump and pressure gauge, do tyre checks at home when the tyres are cold.
    This is the way.[/QUOTE]

I would do that but it's more expensive than buying the valve, and the valve means I can check tyre pressure while on the road, especially on long trips.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack85 View Post
    I would do that but it's more expensive than buying the valve, and the valve means I can check tyre pressure while on the road, especially on long trips.

As has been pointed out, the adapter is a stop gap measure. Make sure when you buy new tyres or tubes that they have a right angled valve.

Also as has been pointed out, you should be checking your tyres cold and you can't just pull into a gas station and get a cold reading. Apart from which the tyre guages at service stations are famously unreliable.

A good guage well worth having, otherwise you've really got no idea what pressures yer running.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    A
    As has been pointed out, the adapter is a stop gap measure. Make sure when you buy new tyres or tubes that they have a right angled valve.

Also as has been pointed out, you should be checking your tyres cold and you can't just pull into a gas station and get a cold reading. Apart from which the tyre guages at service stations are famously unreliable.

A good guage well worth having, otherwise you've really got no idea what pressures yer running.
    Lots of good wisdom being shared here!

The cheats' way to deal with pressures on overnight or longer trips, is to refuel first thing in the morning close to where one overnighted. Dial up the pressure a touch using the servo air unit, then check/reset using a quality gauge, which I normally have in my pack anyway. But yeah, checking tyre pressures when they're warm is for amateurs

Bike
    N/A
    I'm on my first bike and never bought tyres but when I do then I'll know this piece of goodninformation!

I live about 15 seconds walk from a gas station so the tyres will still be cold, especially if I do it after leaving the bike stationary overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Lots of good wisdom being shared here!

The cheats' way to deal with pressures on overnight or longer trips, is to refuel first thing in the morning close to where one overnighted. Dial up the pressure a touch using the servo air unit, then check/reset using a quality gauge, which I normally have in my pack anyway. But yeah, checking tyre pressures when they're warm is for amateurs
    Good advice, thanks for the info!!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    New BP being built in Rangiora.

I've emailed them to ask for a motorcycle friendly free-air set up.

Remains to be seen.

Bike
    '04 Honda ST1300
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Remains to be seen.
    Laughing my arse off

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Remains to be seen.
    Wot? One with accurate gauges? Big ask.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    But yeah, checking tyre pressures when they're warm is for amateurs
    Unless you're on a track day. You drop your pressures to very low and check the hot temp after every session. Well I do anyway
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Unless you're on a track day. You drop your pressures to very low and check the hot temp after every session. Well I do anyway
    Well the context in which my comment was made related to road riding on a longer trip...

But yep track days are the same for me. Start by dropping air to a silly low number at beginning of day and then see what pressure we've got at the end of each session.

Thread Information