Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The AA

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Indeed it is. I took Tramadol like it was water for a while. I didn't change my driving habits one iota as it had no more affect on my alertness than a sugar pill.
    Or so you thought. How did you test it?

Cheers

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post

Cheers
    Good point
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Mine

Cheers
    I know what it feels like when I'm impaired (my one and only night when I got mildly drunk after 5 long island ice teas and 13 B52s). On tramadol I didn't deviate from the norm in the slightest.

I drove trouble free for several weeks. I was still able to parallel park into tight spaces with accuracy. I also spent time in my workshop using an unguarded table saw and retained all my fingers.

The story I heard from a colleague was that they could hardly get in the car, let alone drive.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    So damn near a third of them. Can I imagine that number would go up if marijuana is legalised and I will have to face a larger number of people coming towards me in a far from competent state?
    If you think legality will increase drivers under the influence of drugs ... do you think making alcohol illegal will reduce the number of drunk drivers on the roads .. ???

Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    In all the legalise debate going on lately I've not heard one word of how the system will deal with users that then decide to go out on the roads. Scary shit really.
    Probably ... how they're dealing with it now. Drug tests are simple and quick. Doctors are not required to do the test.

The only changes to now ... random stops for breath tests ... could include drug test as well.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    This sort of hits on the point, much like drink driving, you can never legislate a perfect one rule fits all...

But, if weed is made legal, it is critical that a roadside test that can determine intoxication vs toked on a j at the company bbq, is available to officers.

Currently the best salvia test can only tell the officer that weed has touched thine lips in the last 24 hours or so, which imo does not signify someone incapable of operating a vehicle...
    Why not copy the yanks and do a roadside impairment test. Record a suspected impaired driver attempt a few basic tasks (walk a straight line, read a poster at a distance, say "slippery snakes nipples" without laughing etc). If you can design a test which anyone could do sober, but once impaired you would struggle (even better is it tests reaction speed, coordination and vision at which you need for driving).

Booze bus can still use breathalizers but if anyone has bloodshot eyes, swerves, drives erratically, looks tired or smells of drugs, pull them off the road for a 2 minute test. If they fail that, drug test for proof in court. If that's clean and they were just tired, then no drink driving charge, just a impaired driving charge with a small penalty. If you're stoned but pass the impairment test, or if you've had 5 beers but pass, then you obviously handle your poison better than the average bear and aren't actually a danger.

Plus I'm sure some dim witted idiots would fail completely sober and those people should be given bus tickets.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Why not copy the yanks and do a roadside impairment test. Record a suspected impaired driver attempt a few basic tasks (walk a straight line, read a poster at a distance, say "slippery snakes nipples" without laughing etc). If you can design a test which anyone could do sober, but once impaired you would struggle (even better is it tests reaction speed, coordination and vision at which you need for driving).

Booze bus can still use breathalizers but if anyone has bloodshot eyes, swerves, drives erratically, looks tired or smells of drugs, pull them off the road for a 2 minute test. If they fail that, drug test for proof in court. If that's clean and they were just tired, then no drink driving charge, just a impaired driving charge with a small penalty. If you're stoned but pass the impairment test, or if you've had 5 beers but pass, then you obviously handle your poison better than the average bear and aren't actually a danger.

Plus I'm sure some dim witted idiots would fail completely sober and those people should be given bus tickets.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    You should've worked in the open cast coal mines at Huntly in the mid 90s
    CoalCorp was running the gig but the actual extraction was done by Downer Construction when I was there, but CoalCorp had their own trucks shifting the coal from the mines to the railway etc
    Their drivers of the dump trucks (mainly Cat 777s) were constantly off their heads and driving these trucks fully loaded & topped out on the haul roads (so carrying 70ton loads @ between 50-70km/h) and racing & drifting these machines while herbed up to the max.
    The smoko prefabs, around the door way the roaches out numbered the ciggy butts 10-1

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    I know what it feels like when I'm impaired
    Yeah, well drinking half a bottle of whisky makes me more intelligent, I've noticed it many times.

Cheers

Bike
    Mine
    Yeah, well drinking half a bottle of whisky makes me more intelligent, I've noticed it many times.

Cheers
    Of course I didn't only rely on my own self-assessment. My wife, among others, were fully in agreement.

It just seems that there are very few chemicals that have a drowsing affect on me (no that I've tried that many).
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing

Cheers
    have solved a few of the worlds problems whilst consuming whiskey

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    have solved a few of the worlds problems whilst consuming whiskey
    But you never solved where I hid the cap. Besides, the world problems simply do not get solved over a wine.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    But you never solved where I hid the cap. Besides, the world problems simply do not get solved over a wine.
    wasn't till the following afternoon i remembered they didn't have caps, the fuckers had corks, oh well, empty bottles don't need resealed

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Musta been another victim [IMG][/IMG]
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Driving While Impaired is an offence in NZ.

It's based on a Compulsory Impairment Test.

Yet another topic KB seems to have little knowledge of.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Driving While Impaired is an offence in NZ.

It's based on a Compulsory Impairment Test.

Yet another topic KB seems to have little knowledge of.
    Given the amount of drivers I see playing with their phones and general poor road skills/manners good luck enforcing that.

Appears many can't even put a seat belt on.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Given the amount of drivers I see playing with their phones and general poor road skills/manners good luck enforcing that.

Appears many can't even put a seat belt on.

Or my pet hate....Random indicating/no indicating at roundabouts.....

Amount of police resources/enforcement I have seen in this or any other area of road safety policing?

Zero

The only positive contribution I see nz police make to road safety is their breathilising check points.

Apart from that the entire policing effort seems to be directed to speed tax collection.

Shamefull
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Thread Information