Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Number plate recognition

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    you never exceed the posted speed limit? fuck me you are honest, andy.
    Haha I have been known to speed occasionally, especially through places like Whangarei. Something about a fear of nutters with guns.

You're up there somewhere aren't you?

Perhaps you could have a rummage through the ashes when no one's looking and increase your arsenal. A slightly scorched grenade might be useful for, um, phishing...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Haha I have been known to speed occasionally,
    right... so your decision not to do 70 in a 50 zone isn't based on some blind adherence to signage hm?
    probably based more on what's fucken sensibly, hm?

especially through places like Whangarei. Something about a fear of nutters with guns.
    we prefer the term "firearms enthusiasts”

.both of us.

sorry mod your just going to have to resize that shit for me.

You're up there somewhere aren't you?
    not SOMEWHERE up here son. i'm fucking EVERYWHERE up here.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Prolly not a good post at this time Andy.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Prolly not a good post at this time Andy.
    Too soon? Too easy to be taken the wrong way? Fair enough, I see that now. Cheers.
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    right... so your decision not to do 70 in a 50 zone isn't based on some blind adherence to signage hm?
    probably based more on what's fucken sensibly, hm?

we prefer the term "firearms enthusiasts”

dont u dare resize it
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    'Personal freedom' and 'doing no harm to anyone' are at times mutually exclusive.
    If you want to be a pedantic bastard to prove a weak point, maybe.

However, personal freedom within a society only comes with personal responsibility. They cannot be separated.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    ...However, personal freedom within a society only comes with personal responsibility. They cannot be separated.
    That's the crux of the problem: responsibility!

Too often the phrase "My rights..." - often meaning "my right to do as I like", could be argued to mean "my freedom" - is heard without the speaker accepting that "rights" go hand-in-hand with "responsibilities".

As for your example of speed and exceeding the "speed limit", I can see your position and have sympathy for you. However, even though you appear to take responsibility for your own actions there are many who have the attitude that it's the fault of someone else and unfortunately those are the ones that the legislation is aimed at.

As an aside, NSW until the late 1970s had a prima facie approach to speeds in country areas - if you were caught exceeding the speed limit you either accepted the "ticket" or you went to court and argued your case for exceeding it. I suspect you'd approve of such an approach.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    That's the crux of the problem: responsibility!

Too often the phrase "My rights..." - often meaning "my right to do as I like", could be argued to mean "my freedom" - is heard without the speaker accepting that "rights" go hand-in-hand with "responsibilities".
    Indeed. The trick is to remember that we're not alone on this planet and show courtesy to the needs and freedoms of others.

As for your example of speed and exceeding the "speed limit", I can see your position and have sympathy for you. However, even though you appear to take responsibility for your own actions there are many who have the attitude that it's the fault of someone else and unfortunately those are the ones that the legislation is aimed at.
    The irony with speed limits (open road anyway) is that the roads are safer without them.

As an aside, NSW until the late 1970s had a prima facie approach to speeds in country areas - if you were caught exceeding the speed limit you either accepted the "ticket" or you went to court and argued your case for exceeding it. I suspect you'd approve of such an approach.
    Yes and no. I'd far rather the cops had both the authority to not ticket me in the first place because they can see that what I'm doing is in no way dangerous to anyone.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    If you want to be a pedantic bastard to prove a weak point, maybe.

However, personal freedom within a society only comes with personal responsibility. They cannot be separated.
    you fellas must have a lot of freedom , due to the amount of shit have been responsible for ....
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Thread Information