Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Number plate recognition

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by lb99 View Post
    so, to bring it back to the original post, if the registered owner of a vehicle is on a learner licence, will the computer put a flag up?
    No.

Hope that's clear enough.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...choosing what laws suit your demeanour in life also means that you personally should have no qualms about forgiving thieves, rapists, murderers etc because they choose not to obey said laws...that doesn't remove the fact that some laws are still just bullshit...
    *legislation

also you may have missed the "without causing harm to others" bit. that's a biggie.

also, just for the thread, i dont pay fines. and i regularly infringe legislations.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    ANPR is an expensive system. When I left there were only 13 nationwide. I don't think that number has grown much if at all in the last 2 years.

You've raised owner liability offences. Interesting topic. When can they just send you the bill in the mail?

Only for very specific offences. Parking offences, stationary vehicle offences (expired WoF or reg on a parked car), number plate offences.

The only cameras which can produce evidence leading to a ticket posted to the owner are approved vehicle surveillance units. Red light and speed cameras are the only approved vehicle surveillance equipment.

ANPR is not approved vehicle surveillance equipment so Police can't post out tickets based on ANPR hits.

Re lucky dip. More a case of unlucky dip.
    I stand corrected ... Thank you.

See folks ... KB IS educational. Sign up your kids and raise the average IQ of the site ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    So much tripe on here.

I used to run ANPR in Christchurch. Ask me if you want facts.
    New pair of glasses then?

Sent from my BGO-DL09 using Tapatalk
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    a green one, + some others
    No.

Hope that's clear enough.
    Cool, thank you
    Yes I know my enemies
    They're the teachers who taught me to fight me....

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    ...choosing what laws suit your demeanour in life also means that you personally should have no qualms about forgiving thieves, rapists, murderers etc because they choose not to obey said laws...that doesn't remove the fact that some laws are still just bullshit...
    Yep, a feature mostly ignored by those that think there's nothing wrong with ignoring 'their' particular laws.

I guess paedophiles think along those lines too and seen othing wroung with breaking that part of the law...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Yep, a feature mostly ignored by those that think there's nothing wrong with ignoring 'their' particular laws.

I guess paedophiles think along those lines too and seen othing wroung with breaking that part of the law...
    Like that Green MP? Not that it's the crime you mentioned.

Cheers

Bike
    Mine
    You're missing the point where I said I was harming no-one. The examples you mention are causing direct harm so aren't comparable.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Laws are set by the presiding parliament. Arbitrary they may be, but that's the way this country is run.
    I understand this. My problem is that those that set the laws don't give a shit about the collateral damage they do along the way.

It's hard to enforce rules that aren't arbitrary.
    Just because it's hard does not mean it shouldn't be done. I'd rather let genuine offenders off than catch innocent people in too wide a net.

Like, good drivers (whatever that means) being allowed to go faster than bad drivers.
    Good drivers are ones that don't crash and show courtesy to others. Only in hindsight is it possible to say identify them.

Both road users and those who are expected to enforce the rules deserve to know what is expected e.g. get caught not wearing a seatbelt, ticket time.
    I am against any law that penalises people for just living or tries to save me from myself. My body, my risk.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    I understand this. My problem is that those that set the laws don't give a shit about the collateral damage they do along the way.

Just because it's hard does not mean it shouldn't be done. I'd rather let genuine offenders off than catch innocent people in too wide a net.

Good drivers are ones that don't crash and show courtesy to others. Only in hindsight is it possible to say identify them.

I am against any law that penalises people for just living or tries to save me from myself. My body, my risk.
    Your body, your risk?

I guess that means that you'll be happy to pay the professional fees of a plastic surgeon trying to reconstruct your face after face planting a steering wheel.

And for the ambulance which picks you up. And the A&E folk who triage your injuries and call the plastic surgeon.

I understand your point though. I disagree with a number of our current rules. Cycle helmets being compulsory, for example. More lives have been lost through obesity through lack of cycling than head injuries saved by the rule.

We can disagree with the Rules. But it's a stretch to say that we should be allowed to make our own calls on everything. When there is a societal cost.

And given the decision making of some folk, I'm pretty happy with the system of rules we have.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

And given the decision making of some folk, I'm pretty happy with the system of rules we have.
    really .?

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    You're missing the point where I said I was harming no-one. The examples you mention are causing direct harm so aren't comparable.

...I'm your average to above average law breaker...some laws are bullshit, as I said but I think you are missing the point...whether a law is a wank bullshit revenue gathering law or not, they are still statutes and as we live in this society and not outside of it, they are the laws...wank or not...I don't know how many drivers, riders I know who think they are good but in reality it is only in their own minds...how does Plod know who is capable of excessive speed and handling it all and someone who thinks they are good enough but in reality are dangers to themselves and others...

...maybe after being a dangerous cunt on wheels for a large part of my life and then getting a little wiser with age, a certain amount of acceptance of the rules/laws starts to emerge...having four kids who are now probably old to some on here and all being motorcyclists, drivers, makes all the shit you ever talked seem just like what it is, shit, when you start to worry about their driving habits that in the long distant past were the same bad habits you had...the bit about 'no harm to others', is also a bit of a thin on reality statement when it comes to motorcycles, cars...you just never know what may happen next out there and often it's someone else who wears the full force of your actions...but again I must reiterate that a lot of laws are wank, but laws that cover us all nonetheless...unless you are a 1%er and they get locked up too...or cassina...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    ...I'm your average to above average law breaker...some laws are bullshit, as I said but I think you are missing the point...whether a law is a wank bullshit revenue gathering law or not, they are still statutes and as we live in this society and not outside of it, they are the laws...wank or not...I don't know how many drivers, riders I know who think they are good but in reality it is only in their own minds...how does Plod know who is capable of excessive speed and handling it all and someone who thinks they are good enough but in reality are dangers to themselves and others...

...maybe after being a dangerous cunt on wheels for a large part of my life and then getting a little wiser with age, a certain amount of acceptance of the rules/laws starts to emerge...having four kids who are now probably old to some on here and all being motorcyclists, drivers, makes all the shit you ever talked seem just like what it is, shit, when you start to worry about their driving habits that in the long distant past were the same bad habits you had...the bit about 'no harm to others', is also a bit of a thin on reality statement when it comes to motorcycles, cars...you just never know what may happen next out there and often it's someone else who wears the full force of your actions...but again I must reiterate that a lot of laws are wank, but laws that cover us all nonetheless...unless you are a 1%er and they get locked up too...or cassina...
    yeah, nah

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    3:46 AM and on Kiwi Biker

That's dedication.

Vote Axley
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    3:46 AM and on Kiwi Biker

That's dedication.

Vote Axley
    And he doesn't pay his fines he is fond of telling you. He has taken Rastuscats advice and doesn't ride a motorbike so he doesn't get fines. He's a clever little bene.
    Why would I vote for him, is he on The Bachelor?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information