Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is considered high KMs for a bike?

Bike
    2012 Fireblade
    One of my first courier bikes in London the famous (infamous?) CX500 had alnost 200000 miles when I bought it - had 320000 miles on it - about 530000km when I got rid of it - New oil filter every 5000m and i replaced the cam chain and clutch plates once each (knew most of its history and had previously had camchain every 60000ish m and regular servicing) Splines on drive shaft went one day and I flicked it to the towie who picked me up for 35 quid - bought a "low milage" - 120000m CX later for £250 - crappy handling maggots but real workhorses

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    No worries, you're very welcome. Just make sure you come back and tell us what you bought so we can tell you that you've made a huge mistake and "who the hell gave you that advice?!?")
    Aaaah gotta share the love.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Aaaah gotta share the love.

High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I always thought that 12-14000 kms was a bit much and time to get a new one

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post

like my axe... it's as good as the day i bought it and i've only had to replace five handles and four heads.
    Never a truer word spoken.

Many many higher mileage bikes bought over the years, and by the time they were passed on, not one engine had ever failed me. The quality and frequency of routine maintenance is the key.

Though a couple of clutches, sprocket/chain replacements, straight handlebars, almost always new wheel/sprocket carrier/steering head bearings, seats recovered, levers, electrical faults chased down, .......list goes on and on. The rolling frame and the abuse it has suffered through previous owners is always the cause of problems, or at least that has been my experience.

Current bikes are on approx 143000km for the 600 teapot, and 81000km for the Bandit, both under-stressed detuned motors. Still way more power than handling currently. I would tour either of them around either island with full confidence.

I once fixed up a GS550E which had 80/80/90/90 compression. It was supposed to be minimum 110psi across all four. I rode that for a few years and it never failed to start, even touring around the North Island on long runs ......bearings/brakes/paint/seat/tyres a different matter though.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    I'm having that conversation with myself but at the other end of the ownership continuum. The GSR600 is a goodun (again, under-stressed and de-tuned). Bought at 16000kms and now has 42000 at about 7500km per year. It could be my last bike as it would only have about 120,000kms on it when I retire and I could just run it into the ground. Not sure though. Keep this one right through or replace in another 2 or 3 years? Hmmm.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I'm having that conversation with myself but at the other end of the ownership continuum. The GSR600 is a goodun (again, under-stressed and de-tuned). Bought at 16000kms and now has 42000 at about 7500km per year. It could be my last bike as it would only have about 120,000kms on it when I retire and I could just run it into the ground. Not sure though. Keep this one right through or replace in another 2 or 3 years? Hmmm.
    You only live once.

Get a busa.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    80kkms is about what I'd consider high for a bike, and 200kkms for a car. Which is not to say either couldn't go double or triple if it had been looked after, but you'd want to look pretty closer at those ks.

Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    You only live once.

Get a busa.
    They say growing up is optional, with a busa growing old is as well...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    You only live once. Get a busa.
    Me on a 'busa ... yep, living only once for sure but plant my wrinkly old arse on that and that one life probably wouldn't last for much longer!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Me on a 'busa ... yep, living only once for sure but plant my wrinkly old arse on that and that one life probably wouldn't last for much longer!
    if you believe you only live once... you also only get to die once

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    80kkms is about what I'd consider high for a bike, and 200kkms for a car. Which is not to say either couldn't go double or triple if it had been looked after, but you'd want to look pretty closer at those ks...
    Yep, that's a good rule of thumb I reckon as well. Late model vehicles with high mileage are likely to have been looked after well and aren't suffering from age related problems like perishing rubber and rust etc. Likewise a 20 yr old vehicle that has only done 5000kms may need a load of things like seals and bearings done, due dilligence required I guess...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    if you believe you only live once... you also only get to die once
    I want to die when I'm 86 ... shot by a woman's jealous husband.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    It is said that you die twice.

the first time is when you physically die,

the second time is when people stop talking about you, forget about you and that you ever even existed.

so the trick is when you do die, go out in a blaze of glory.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I want to die when I'm 86 ... shot by a woman's jealous husband.

suicide?

Bike
    A
    Haha, yes a 'Busa can be a handful, but in all honesty it's a very chilled out bike if you're somewhat disciplined.

Personally I've never been too worried about actual mileage on a bike, it's mostly about maintenance really. Not like you're gonna find too many GSX-R1000's that have 100k plus on the odo, but there'll be plenty of sport tourers that have double that in their lifetime. The hard part buying secondhand is getting a true handle on maintenance thru its life. Maybe that's why I prefer my bikes new or near new...

Cars are a different game to me. Purely for transportation, so yeah I've had ex-rentals when I've been between company cars. One Nissan Bluebird got close to 400k when I sold it, still going fine too. Routine maintenance works wonders

Thread Information