Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is considered high KMs for a bike?

Bike
    Beta Ev0 250

What is considered high KMs for a bike?

Just looking at getting a second hand bike to cruise about NZ on and seeing as its my first road bike (been off road riding for years) I'm not sure what is considered high km's for a road bike.

I have my aim at Yamaha Tenere's 660's, but would like to know where I should draw the line at km's wise. Is 60,000kms to much?

Any help appreciated

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    The kms are A factor, true, but others include:
    - Style of bike - relaxed long-distance tourer or nuts-out screamer?
    - Maintenance history - particularly engine oil and filter changes but there's much more e.g. bearings and seals
    - Style of driving - "One lady owner" has a grain of truth to it, boy racers take the red line as a target, not a limit
    - Places driven - beaches and rough roads are, well, rough
    - Engineering and build quality - some bikes have been successful for many years, others essentially flop: why is that? Some manufacturers are renowned for quality and reliability, others bring up the rear
    - The seller - any come-back if it falls apart on the first corner?
    - The fair market price, relative to other similar bikes - as reliable a guide as kms I'd say
    - Maintainability - is it going to cost a fortune to keep running, or is it relatively simple and easy work?

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    There's a shitload of bikes out there with that amount of Kms & heaps more, the important factor is maintenance & condition ie: have things been done at proper intervals & correctly, has it been ridden with some respect for what it is or just been hacked about & abused.
    You could get something with less than 10k on the clock but it could have been neglected all that time & hammered every time it was ridden

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Bit of CRC and she will be right. Apparently it fixes stuck pistons and erectile dysfunction.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    i know somebody who has done over 100000ks on a Bandit, still going strong

Bike
    Beta Ev0 250
    Yeah I figured Km's were only part on the equation, brought a few dirt bikes over the years and that was more on maintenance history, overall condition, aftermarket parts, even how tidy their garages were.

I was just wondering if there was a point where KM's take over, and its a no go. Like cars, I wouldn't buy one with 250,000kms on it, more likely 80,000kms. But what is that in relation to bikes?

I understand looking at Dual purpose bikes its going to have seen a few gravel roads and beach's etc, but do people thrash these type of bikes? Or are they more laid back riding types? I know you will get the odd Paris to Dakar wannabe

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    What he said.
    And what the other bloke said.

Good maintenance will keep an engine running sweetly for way more than 60kk, so it can be a good deal, but with higher milages you've gotta start thinking about more than just 'normal' maintenance and understand that you may need to do some more serious stuff like, say, clutch, shock and forks, swingarm bearings etc
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Bit of CRC and she will be right. Apparently it fixes erectile dysfunction.
    (use a joey over the can)
    Brakes as new

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    It does depend on the bike. I've got a Honda CB919, has 146k ish on the clock, a mate has one with 160k+ and another mate with just under 100k. They've got a reputation for crazy reliability. My BMW R1200GSA has 127k ish and that also keeps on going (although it certainly chews through parts faster than the Hornet). Others like the Bandits also do big km with little going wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blat450 View Post
    I was just wondering if there was a point where KM's take over, and its a no go. Like cars, I wouldn't buy one with 250,000kms on it, more likely 80,000kms. But what is that in relation to bikes?
    well if it hasn't already done 250, it's unlikely to be able to do another 250, innit? how do you know if it'll last??

100 thou km is at-least-half-done on any bike.
    yes, they will go longer.

like my axe... it's as good as the day i bought it and i've only had to replace five handles and four heads.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blat450 View Post
    Yeah I figured Km's were only part on the equation, brought a few dirt bikes over the years and that was more on maintenance history, overall condition, aftermarket parts, even how tidy their garages were.

I understand looking at Dual purpose bikes its going to have seen a few gravel roads and beach's etc, but do people thrash these type of bikes? Or are they more laid back riding types? I know you will get the odd Paris to Dakar wannabe
    As everyone has posted, it's the whole bike not the mileage. Check for wear, everywhere man.

I had an XT 350 which had been hammered for almost 70'000 miles. Basically maintained, oil, filters, cables, bearings etc. It never missed a beat. I checked the valve clearance somewhere about 65'000 mls, they were fine, cam lobes were beautiful. I was the 3rd owner so no doubt they had been checked before. Carb rubber hardened up, split, just a hint. Worse problem I ever had with that bike.

In the shed at the mo is a 98 Yamaha TDM 850, 68'000 kms. It rides lots of gravel and lots of twisties, it never misses a beat. Basic maintenace.

Alongside is a 96 Yamaha DT 230 Lanza 2t, low kms, 30'000ish. Thrashed, tweeked, basic maintenance, see above.

You can definitely get a good bike at those k's, just check the whole bike. Bearings, seals, bushes etc. All the rattly and leaky bits bite you in the ass.

I only posted because these bikes are kinda from the same Clan. Not great knowledge or experience on my part. I'm a Yamaha fan, though.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Beta Ev0 250
    Thanks for all the reply's, I see its not so much the KM's to worry about, its more looking at the whole picture.
    You guys have been a great help, Thanks.

Bike
    No worries, you're very welcome. Just make sure you come back and tell us what you bought so we can tell you that you've made a huge mistake and "who the hell gave you that advice?!?")
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    My old bandit 1200 had 120,000ks on it when sold. Compression test showed it was well within spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Mine
    My Katana has over 210,000km on it and still going strong.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Thread Information