Thread: Helmet Breaking In

Bike
    2017 Yamaha r6

Helmet Breaking In

A size small helmet after broken is is perfect for me. But with the break in period, the helmet is just too fucking tight, I get migraine attacks and constant headaches.

Maybe I just have a weak head? Any tips?

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    1. Get a bigger helmet
    2. Strengthen your head
    3. Shave your head
    4. Shrink your head
    5. Man up

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Whoops, you bought the wrong helmet...

I feel your pain. I did have a helmet once that was the right size but had pressure points that gave me headaches after half an hour. No good. I fixed it by shaving off some of the polystyrene molding in the appropriate places.
    I don't think that's going to help you much though, I reckon you need a new helmet, maybe a different brand because some are different shapes. But get one the right size this time, I don't think they stretch a whole size just by wearing them, you might have been lucky with your last helmet that it was the perfect shape for your head.

Shaving your head or waiting till you're bald is worth about half a size...

Seeing a fully qualified psychiatrist head-shrinking witch-doctor is a bit risky but might be worth two sizes...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    On some helmets inner padding can be replaced with thinner or thicker padding to help with fit and comfort.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Whoops, you bought the wrong helmet...

I feel your pain. I did have a helmet once that was the right size but had pressure points that gave me headaches after half an hour. No good. I fixed it by shaving off some of the polystyrene molding in the appropriate places.
    I don't think that's going to help you much though, I reckon you need a new helmet, maybe a different brand because some are different shapes. But get one the right size this time, I don't think they stretch a whole size just by wearing them, you might have been lucky with your last helmet that it was the perfect shape for your head.

Shaving your head or waiting till you're bald is worth about half a size...

Seeing a fully qualified psychiatrist head-shrinking witch-doctor is a bit risky but might be worth two sizes...
    This.

Nope not a weak head. Sounds like you bought a wrong sized helmet.

Just curious, is it Bell helmet? They tend to be tight around forehead.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post

Just curious, is it Bell helmet? They tend to be tight around forehead.
    Or asian market Shoei they're made for that slightly flatter brow shaped swede

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Or asian market Shoei they're made for that slightly flatter brow shaped swede
    Asian swedes or Swedish Asians?
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Asian swedes or Swedish Asians?

variety is the spice of life

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by dave100 View Post
    A size small helmet after broken is is perfect for me. But with the break in period, the helmet is just too fucking tight, I get migraine attacks and constant headaches.

Maybe I just have a weak head? Any tips?
    did the dealer help you fit the helmet, testing it without the strap done up etc?

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    1. Get a bigger helmet
    2. Strengthen your head
    3. Shave your head
    4. Shrink your head
    5. Man up
    Any or all of the above (except the last one ... )
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    As has been said it does appear you bought the wrong helmet. As has also been said some helmets offer different pads but they are usually the ones that fit to your face, not the part that is too tight on your head.

Having said that, you haven't actually given enough information to enable a really semsible reply. Arai offer helmets in three different head shapes as well as all the different sizes, so care is needed. I suspect that you didn't buy an Arai, but you haven't said. From the little infprmation you have given it seems your helmet is too small. A loose helmet is no good either and a tight one may loosen a little. When tryhing them on in the shop sometimes it's best to wear it around the shop for a while, especially if it feels a bit tight. Different brands will fit differently, try several.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    A
    Like Pritch summed it up makes sense.

If you've gone to a shop to try on a few different helmets you'll avoid buying the wrong size/shape helmet, as it appears the OP has done.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Knob - you got the wrong helmet.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    I've had some success stretching tight shoes with wooden formers or wedges - roughly cut shapes, pushed/hammered into place after softening the leather a bit with Neatsfoot oil. After a week or two, they stretched enough not to hobble me like a Geisha girly.

I guess your helmet isn't Biggle's leather-style ... but still you might try making a wooden head to apply an even pressure to the helmet lining foam, without the migraines.

I wouldn't, though. I'd buy a new helmet that fits properly. Sorry, but that's the safest and best option mate. Keep the small one for pinhead visitors.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    One guy I know found his helmet of choice too tight on his forehead. He didn't wish to change brand so he modified the helmet by hitting the liner with a hammer. Carefully I assume. I did hesitate to mention this because compressing the padding is reducing the protection, but it worked for him.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information