Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Racing Chest Protectors

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    LOL, too many beersies tonight?
    Sorry can no longer drink alcohol so I'll use the other excuse, the truth. Looking at trackday bikes, as opposed to those of licenced racers, in the last 15 or so years things have deteriorated to the point of maybe 25 to 30% should never be allowed on a track, a further 25 odd % barely up to scratch. I am not talking about superficial cosmetic damage, I'm talking about badly maintained and presented bikes.

Fortunately there are still a good number of riders who take pride in their preparation, actually the only sensible thing to do with a bike you are intending to ride flat out.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by MVnut View Post
    the truth
    You need to get out more.

Most track day bikes I have been out with you could eat your dinner off the motors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1995 Ducati 916 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You need to get out more.

Most track day bikes I have been out with you could eat your dinner off the motors.
    Yes, agree with that.
    I've done plenty of club racing but mainly just do track days now and I haven't seen any badly presented bikes, or at least nothing that caught my eye.
    HD track days scrutinize now so that also helps.
    I definitely recall a lot of very shabby race bikes when I raced (1998-2010).
    I do agree that set up knowledge is lacking in many track day riders but that's to be expected.

Bike
    moped
    Well this Thread seems to have created some interest for and against.

Any way I certainly don't be grudge paying $80 for a chest protector if it can save me from those awful bloody painful busted ribs which I have had inflicted on me in the past when not wearing any protection I will certainly be getting hold of one.

Can someone tell me this then please...... I have just checked my current Back Protectors which I have been using for the last 15 years they are the Full spine Teknic Back protector with Velcro around the waist , I have two of them, but know where on them does it indicate any certification at all, no tags or anything. So am I up for new back protectors as well ? and a lot of others, as these were very popular with riders. Check your gear folks !!!!!

Would MNZ give approval for this well known Teknic Back protector even without a certified tag?

What other Brand options do we have in regards to chest protectors?.... Alpine Stars / .........

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    What's next? Compulsory High Vis?
    Newbies already have to. So if you started road racing again you'd probably be classed as a newbie and have to wear one hahahaha
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by rustys View Post
    Well this Thread seems to have created some interest for and against.

Any way I certainly don't be grudge paying $80 for a chest protector if it can save me from those awful bloody painful busted ribs which I have had inflicted on me in the past when not wearing any protection I will certainly be getting hold of one.

Can someone tell me this then please...... I have just checked my current Back Protectors which I have been using for the last 15 years they are the Full spine Teknic Back protector with Velcro around the waist , I have two of them, but know where on them does it indicate any certification at all, no tags or anything. So am I up for new back protectors as well ? and a lot of others, as these were very popular with riders. Check your gear folks !!!!!

Would MNZ give approval for this well known Teknic Back protector even without a certified tag?

What other Brand options do we have in regards to chest protectors?.... Alpine Stars / .........
    ...talk to MNZ...no numbers , no race...I had to ditch a good back protector and so did my son, his brand new and as safe as any other...no number, no race...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Good idea or not I leave to the individuals racing.

I do propose that the rule has more to do with liability of the race originators that anything else.

It's a funny thing really - in the most controlled of riding conditions (a closed track) the strictest of rules are enforced. However some chump on his American wet dream can roar up the road wearing a 'stars and stripes' T-shirt, no gloves, Vans on his feet and oily Levis and if injured the tax payer will fun the recovery.

Apologizes to riders of the glory machines who wear decent gear, even if it does have 42 labels denoting the glory machines name and 150 frills.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    Newbies already have to. So if you started road racing again you'd probably be classed as a newbie and have to wear one hahahaha
    Just another good reason why I can't be fucked with the whole scene anymore.

Bike
    suzuki
    Just another good reason why I can't be fucked with the whole scene anymore.
    how would your foot be Pete if you went into those airbags now at wanganui, instead of what you hit a few years ago?

Bike
    Nowt any more
    Forcefield protection available via Dolds Industries. The best in the world.

Knox protection available via QMoto. The first equal best in the world.

A few plastic sheets with soft stuff underneath does not a protector make.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    how would your foot be Pete if you went into those airbags now at wanganui, instead of what you hit a few years ago?
    Hey, I fully understand what you're saying Spyda. Removing dangers is a good thing. But so is personal choice. Some would say drinking piss is dangerous. I know it is. But I like doing it.

The only full season of racing I did back in the day, I remember some upstart tossbag telling me he was going to report me for drinking a beer for breakfast at Teretonga.

There were people racing there still pissed from the night before. I wasn't one of them. I simply had noting else to drink, so had said beer, to wet my whistle.

How would that go down now?

Personal choice, is something I'm so sad to see being removed from us.

Bike
    Yo momma

The only full season of racing I did back in the day, I remember some upstart tossbag telling me he was going to report me for drinking a beer for breakfast at Teretonga.
    Sorry mate I would have potted you for that one.

How would it have looked if you had been involved in a serious on track incident and it came to the officials attention that you were seen drinking beer that morning?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Sorry mate I would have potted you for that one.

How would it have looked if you had been involved in a serious on track incident and it came to the officials attention that you were seen drinking beer that morning?
    Well then you're a fucking sifter. Do you know it's not illegal to drink a beer whilst driving your car? Why? Because it's no more harmful/dangerous than drinking a lemonade. Drinking so many, that you end up pissed is on offence, and rightfully so. But one beer? Fuck off. If I'd had an accident, and a blood test showed I was over any sort of legal limit...fine. But if not? Beer, coffee...lemonade. Makes no fucking difference.

Maybe this guy should've been disqualified then?

Bike
    suzuki

Maybe this guy should've been disqualified then?

think he'd already won, Horst Saiger's latest vid at Terlick (spelling?) this year says a lot about the drinking culture there at the track, 45 beer stalls, no coffee outlets and a shot on the wind down lap

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    think he'd already won, Horst Saiger's latest vid at Terlick (spelling?) this year says a lot about the drinking culture there at the track, 45 beer stalls, no coffee outlets and a shot on the wind down lap
    Yep. Big diff between having a quick beer and being drunk and dangerous though.

Thread Information