Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Racing Chest Protectors

Bike
    moped

Road Racing Chest Protectors

With the new rules for 2018 Road Racing Chest Protectors are going to be compulsory from January 2018. So I was just wondering whether anyone would be doing a bulk purchase for these ?, as there are a great number of Racers out there that are not using anything at the moment . The Alpine Stars Nucleon KR-CiR looks the go, Certified to EN1621 which MNZ are requiring, it comes in two Sizes retailing for around $80. I have been using a Chest protector for years but not under this certification, so will have to purchase something to meet the new standards.
    Anyone doing a Deal?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by rustys View Post
    With the new rules for 2018 Road Racing Chest Protectors are going to be compulsory from January 2018. So I was just wondering whether anyone would be doing a bulk purchase for these ?, as there are a great number of Racers out there that are not using anything at the moment . The Alpine Stars Nucleon KR-CiR looks the go, Certified to EN1621 which MNZ are requiring, it comes in two Sizes retailing for around $80. I have been using a Chest protector for years but not under this certification, so will have to purchase something to meet the new standards.
    Anyone doing a Deal?
    What's next? Compulsory High Vis?

Bike
    moped
    Most likely!!!!!!! , certainly not making it easy for the younger Riders these days, just more and more costs. Wait till they bring that Belly Pan rule out that will be me done and a few hundred others. Any way Chest Protector pricing was my question.

Bike
    '08 R6
    I did quite a lot of looking and $80 for the Alpinestars one was the best I could find.

Be wary though, they only work if your suit fits correctly (ie quite tight) as they just sit in place. My observation has been that heaps of people wear suits way too big for them and in these cases you would need to get a chest protector with straps. Or get a suit that fits. As an aside I would much rather have a well fitting suit and no chest protector than a loose suit with one.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp2183 View Post
    . As an aside I would much rather have a well fitting suit and no chest protector than a loose suit with one.
    It's a fucking queer rule. Not that I have any plans of doing any more road racing...but if I did decide to, I'd have to either buy a new set of leathers, or have expensive alterations done to mine. Fuck that.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    What's next?
    Participation trophies.....

Talk about fucking gaying it up!!!

Bike
    moped
    It's a fucking queer rule. Not that I have any plans of doing any more road racing...but if I did decide to, I'd have to either buy a new set of leathers, or have expensive alterations done to mine. Fuck that.
    That's very true crasher, and as sharp2183 says with his comments with loose suits, all just keeps adding up the price of it all.

Bike
    suzuki
    ask those who've had chest injuries whether it is? reality it is where the FIM have headed, would you like to go against their advice and then have an incident and be held liable for it?

Bike
    '08 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by rustys View Post
    That's very true crasher, and as sharp2183 says with his comments with loose suits, all just keeps adding up the price of it all.
    Definitely makes it just another cost. And let's be honest some people may be getting into 250 racing with a borrowed old suit and really don't want to spend the money.

The other side of the coin is that $100 is not a lot to pay for something that could save your life. I had a bike come down on me a while back and I wouldn't have wanted it to hit me in the chest... That said, if it wasn't compulsory I wouldn't have got one.
    Arborist available - Will trade tree work services for bike parts or servicing! PM me...

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    ask those who've had chest injuries whether it is? reality it is where the FIM have headed, would you like to go against their advice and then have an incident and be held liable for it?
    Well we'd best ban motorcycle racing then. Could get hurt.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Check out the Torpedo7 stuff. My new back protector has the chest protector. A vest really. 150 bucks-ish I think. 1621 and all that shite.

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    I think it's a good idea plus a sign of the times re protection. When I started we had basic black leathers, no extra protection and full face helmets had to be imported. Duct tape was our kneesliders etc. Gloves were thin, boots had no ankle or others 'extras etc.

I have personally given (free) quite a few sets of Dainese leathers and back protectors to beginner/junior racers and happy to have helped.

On another note, many outside the racing community need to learn about protection too, specially fathers of some of the murderous bastards that are surfacing of late

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Presume this will come down to track dayers as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Presume this will come down to track dayers as well?
    And why not? Most trackday only riders have so much to learn even about the most basic things, starting with setting the bike up and even making it safe. Most track day bikes are a fucking disgrace preparation wise and should not be any where near a racetrack. Organised trackdays with proper training and scrutineering are the only way forward.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by MVnut View Post
    And why not? Most trackday only riders have so much to learn even about the most basic things, starting with setting the bike up and even making it safe. Most track day bikes are a fucking disgrace preparation wise and should not be any where near a racetrack. Organised trackdays with proper training and scrutineering are the only way forward.
    LOL, too many beersies tonight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information