Thread: Ducati Multistrada

Bike
    98 Bandit 1200

Ducati Multistrada

I've recently purchased a multistrada
    I'ts not an easy bike to find parts for, and it's a rather unusual ride - thought it would be beneficial to have a forum for owners to share info

I cant seem to find any forums in NZ - so we could either start one here or could someone point me in the direction of a good forum?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18157050_10156227553918636_714046831787938156_n.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	332012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	122_0312_01z+2004_ducati_multistrada+tail_view.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	332013
    Live long and prosper ……………… or ride a motorbike

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Cool the way your bike looks like your avatar

Or is it that your avatar looks like your bike?
    =mjc=

Bike
    98 Bandit 1200

eiher way

Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    Cool the way your bike looks like your avatar

Or is it that your avatar looks like your bike?
    lol it's an unusual looking bike alright, but the first time I rode one I knew I wanted one, I really enjoy the upright position and handling
    I do plan to eliminate the orange and the TBD sticker has gone already
    It comes with the ducati side panniers and I have a top box that matches to fit on - it looks better with all the gear on

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    My favorite Strada custom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ducati-multistrada-4.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	332049  

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    lol it's an unusual looking bike alright, but the first time I rode one I knew I wanted one, I really enjoy the upright position and handling
    I do plan to eliminate the orange and the TBD sticker has gone already
    It comes with the ducati side panniers and I have a top box that matches to fit on - it looks better with all the gear on
    And premium Ohlins both ends. Possibly the best handling tourier I've ridden...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    My favorite Strada custom
    ...And if the one I considered looked a little more like that I'd have owned it.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    I had one for a year (same model as yours) and enjoyed my time with it. Great motor, especially midrange, which improved with a custom Cycleworks exhaust. I actually think my Aprilia Shiver handles better on rough roads. I liked the looks and it certainly attracts attention.
    But servicing is frequent and not so easy (e.g valve shims).
    There are a few things you become aware of after ownership has commenced, such as upgrading starter wiring, valve guides, rear subframe (I have a pair of custom strengthening struts I'll swap for a couple of bottles of Italian wine), covering the oil cooler in winter, tank swelling from ethanol in petrol, shielding shock remote reservoir from exhaust heat, ...
    Send me a PM if you'd like a chat.

Bike
    98 Bandit 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    ... improved with a custom Cycleworks exhaust. ..
    rear subframe (I have a pair of custom strengthening struts I'll swap for a couple of bottles of Italian wine), .

Thanks
    A couple of questions; how much did you pay for the exhaust and where from?
    whats wrong with the rear sub-frame? and where do the strengthening struts go?

I'm only just starting to get the set up on the bikr right for me, adjusting everything
    I'm also looking for some straight renthal (or similar) bars for it

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    http://www.cycleworks.co.nz/

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Thanks
    whats wrong with the rear sub-frame? and where do the strengthening struts go?

I'm only just starting to get the set up on the bikr right for me, adjusting everything
    I'm also looking for some straight renthal (or similar) bars for it
    The early version of the Multi 1000DS had the rear subframe cantilevered out . Some riders who put top boxes on who rode on rough roads (that described me) broke the subframe . Damien made some struts for me that went further back on the subframe providing some triangulation. I took them off because the dealer wasn't interested. Later years of the 1000DS and the 1100DS had the subframe strengthened.
    There is a thread about this here http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32821 You will probably have to join Multistrada.net (which is a good idea anyway).
    I'll post some photos later.

Cycleworks near Upper Hutt built the exhaust. Damien did a very nice job of producing a baffled exhaust (not one of those filled with glass wool or similar) for a bit over $1000, maybe a little more. Much lighter than the original, MUCH nicer sound, and my seat-of-the-pants dyno said it boosted the midrange.

I'm 6' 2" and found the ergos perfect for me so I stayed with the stock bars.

The look of the bike tends to polarise. I loved it.

Bike
    98 Bandit 1200
    The early version of the Multi 1000DS had the rear subframe cantilevered out . Some riders who put top boxes on who rode on rough roads (that described me) broke the subframe . Damien made some struts for me that went further back on the subframe providing some triangulation. I took them off because the dealer wasn't interested. Later years of the 1000DS and the 1100DS had the subframe strengthened.
    There is a thread about this here http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32821 You will probably have to join Multistrada.net (which is a good idea anyway).
    Thanks for the very useful information - and the link, I am fitting a top box so I will definitely look at it, and I will be two up most the time as well

Cycleworks near Upper Hutt built the exhaust. Damien did a very nice job of producing a baffled exhaust (not one of those filled with glass wool or similar) for a bit over $1000, maybe a little more. Much lighter than the original, MUCH nicer sound, and my seat-of-the-pants dyno said it boosted the midrange.
    On the exhaust modification; did you have to buy or fit some kind of 'Exhaust Servo Eliminator'?
    What did you do with the standard can, have you still got it ? I'm thinking of modifying one

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    The new exhaust bolted on with no accessories. I also had a K&N filter, but it think the fuel injection compensates. Ran even better.
    I had a clean out a couple of months ago and biffed the exhaust. Just have the two struts, taillight assembly and grab rail. Will put them on Trademe unless anyone here is interested in making an offer.

Thread Information