Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NZ customs or duty fees (overseas order)

Bike
    A
    It's a bit hit and miss. Not sure on the percentage of shipments that get hit with import duty/GST/whatever else, but it's on the low side. For me it's literally been 1 out of 10 inbound orders over the $400 mark that's been given the treatment.

Fingers crossed, you might get lucky. Get the Vaseline ready in case you're not...

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Get em to send one boot over then the other a week later... seriously.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    It's a bit hit and miss. Not sure on the percentage of shipments that get hit with import duty/GST/whatever else, but it's on the low side. For me it's literally been 1 out of 10 inbound orders over the $400 mark that's been given the treatment.
    I've had similar - a few shipments where I was fully prepared to be whacked with a huge bill (items I simply couldn't get in NZ), got through scot free. That was pre "what's my duty" website days so couldn't necessarily calculate the duty/gst that would be due so you just prepared for sticker shock when you got the customs letter.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    I buy quite a bit of stuff from all around the place and I've had two big ticket items come through without GST, one because the customs information was indecipherable. The worst was when they calculated the GST but added an extra 0 to the Yen price, I had palpitations when I saw the GST bill, fortunately they laughed at their mistake.

I find customs to be pretty slow these days, they used to ring you up and you could give them your credit card and they ship the item very quickly, now you get a letter which takes a couple of days but you can pay online. One customs agent sent an email and I payed online and that was a bit quicker. If you do have to pay GST it can be 7 days in NZ to get your stuff but only 2 days from the US to Auckland.

YMMV

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Fed ex will collect gst plus fee when goods arrive in NZ... ( approx $150/ $200 in your case.)

They will contact you to pay within 5 days or goods will get returned.

If your goods get shipped through other outfits NZ customs may or may not charge you/ pick up on the fact that goods are over $400.

Don't have stuff shipped through FedEx...
    Unfortunately my BMW supplier in the UK uses Fedex.

Got pinged today on $389.00

$64 GST, $42 customs fee with GST on that of $6.42. $113.00...thats 10 less beersies for me.

I take it the FedEx do this for everything no matter what value?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

Got pinged today on $389.00

$64 GST, $42 customs fee with GST on that of $6.42. $113.00...thats 10 less beersies for me.

I take it the FedEx do this for everything no matter what value?
    Something in your maths doesn't add up - 64 on 389 is more than 15% - so the cost of shipping must have pushed the value up to over 400?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Something in your maths doesn't add up - 64 on 389 is more than 15% - so the cost of shipping must have pushed the value up to over 400?
    I think you are correct but the shipping is not shown but they add it in as CIF with no value.

I rang up and said " Hello I have to pay you some money unfortunately"...she almost laughed.

Still not to worry I'm sure if I could get parts for my 35+ year old BMW's it would cost me a lot more.

I did however buy a jacket, gloves and boots here locally so my conscience is clear.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Pity the boots were $750

Yep they just keep adding import charges, GST, admin charges etc etc - I would say he's up for poss $100+ fees
    Yeah nah. it will be closer to $200 possibly more.

Sem Fiddy is the boots. OP does not say if that includes the shipping or not. All the levies are on the landed cost. Assuming the landed cost including shipping is the $750. Add a biosecurity levy "processing fee" and all the shit, (say its $180 intotal.) Your boots now owe you $930 landed. Add GST to that and your total cost is $1069.50.

Also does each boot have half a kilo of cocaine in it because even online they are some FUCKING expensive boots OP.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    that sucks because Royale Mail is very cheap and super reliable (in my experience buying a lot of stuff from DAvid Silver - they use Royal Mail or courier, buyers choice)
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    that sucks because Royale Mail is very cheap and super reliable (in my experience buying a lot of stuff from DAvid Silver - they use Royal Mail or courier, buyers choice)
    Their website also shows Royal Mail, will try to see if it works next time. Doing a google search looks like Fedex have been ringing up and asking what the parts are and materials....US Govt snooping...

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Pity the boots were $750

Yep they just keep adding import charges, GST, admin charges etc etc - I would say he's up for poss $100+ fees

Get them imported one at a time if you can, it worked for somebody I know. (Kept value below the threshold.)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Been stung through the fed ex delivery before. ...

Next time i will do the nz post thingy....

Send it to a "local addres"....and good old nz post will take it from there.
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Interestin posts. I have a couple of 90's trailies and have sourced parts from Japan for them. My fav supplier, Jp-parts seems to be expanding so I'm thinking of having a splurge. To date I've paid nuttin to customs for what I have received from them. One order was well over $800.

Could language be working in my favour or am I just lucky so far? All labeling on received parcels is Japanese.

I really want to buy a new exhaust.... All shiny and light weight goodness, er, can't afford to wreck the original TBH. I also a need a new graphics kit mimicking the originals, tapered edges and proper colour match. Very spendy.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CBR400RR NC29
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave100 View Post
    Hi, I recently ordered some boots off ebay. ($750NZD from seller 'perfmoto' if that matters)

I've never ordered anything from overseas to NZ before.

I called customs to ask about any fees I may have to pay and they ABSOLUTELY refused to comment until the product was actually in New Zealand (I even linked them to the order confirmation and what the product is)

Has anyone faced any fees; if so, what?

Thanks.
    You wont always get charged for a couple of reasons:
    1. The item category does not attract duties or GST
    2. The supplier declared a lower value and its believable to Customs NZ

Most other times you will get charged if the value for the category of item "and there are a few categories" site above the value allowed for the category of the imported product. Its simple enough to calculate using the info on the customs nz site once you have worked out the category of the goods being imported. http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/

The faster way is to pay for a subscription to a duties calculator site. like this one that I use: http://www.pitneybowes.com/us/dutyca...culator.com%2F

Its changed a bit and used to be free but its does a really accurate job and is good if your importing a lot of goods.

Personally I imported two fairing kits for personal use and both slipped past customs and you might find your boots do the same. If they don't you will get a letter in the mail after customs NZ have delayed your order for a week or more and then they might ask you to supply a purchase invoice to show the accurate value of the goods. Once you do that they will then slug you for the slice of action that's applicable to the goods, GST, Duties and other small fees. Your normally lucky if you get away with paying much less than about 100nzd if that happens.

Dont let it put you off though as its still often one of the best ways to get the products you want at the right price its just nicer when customs is not involved.
    www.fairingsolutions.co.nz
    4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul

Thread Information