Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW 2008 R1200GS question ?

Bike
    07 KLX300r 08 BMW R 1200 GS, f800gs

BMW 2008 R1200GS question ?

Hi All
    I went for a ride today and noticed no tyre pressure reading on dash, Yellow light ! on dash lit up, RDC and the flat tyre icon on.
    My best guess is tyre sensor battery gone. (after doing some reading)
    My question is if one sensor goes flat first they both indicate flat and show no reading back and front ? or has anyone had a different experience.
    I would have thought that when one sensor goes flat you would see one tyre pressure ready ok and the one reading nothing.
    I think it stopped working mid ride as I never notice anything until an hr into the ride.
    I'm just wondering if I have a deeper problem than tyre sensors. Seems a great hassle to remove tyres and replace sensors to fined out a reboot would have done it.
    Interested in others experiences with this issue.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Sounds expensive .....

See - just more shit you don't need to go wrong.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    I have some experience. Maybe this will help.
    The last time I got a flat tyre I noticed the handling went to shit and not long after there was a 'labia-labia-labia' sound so then I knew I was in for a cunt of a ride home
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    You better buy a tire gauge ... to confirm the tire is (or isn't) flat ...

In the "Old days" ... you knew when you had a flat tire ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    If a sensor is going flat a, it affects only the one sensor, b, things like the limit setting (ie, should warn at 24psi or less) also plays up, so mine would warn at 28-29psi.

If no reading is possible, pressure is shown as a dash. Earlier than that, it takes longer to give a reading than normal, ie, the good one will come up quickly, and the low one takes noticeably longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    If a sensor is going flat a, it affects only the one sensor, b, things like the limit setting (ie, should warn at 24psi or less) also plays up, so mine would warn at 28-29psi.

If no reading is possible, pressure is shown as a dash. Earlier than that, it takes longer to give a reading than normal, ie, the good one will come up quickly, and the low one takes noticeably longer.
    So I,m taking from what your saying you have had one wheel sensor pack up but the other wheel kept reading fine?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bams View Post
    So I,m taking from what your saying you have had one wheel sensor pack up but the other wheel kept reading fine?
    Yep, front one I think, wore out last year I think, bike is 2010 with 127k ish. Rear one still works.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Yep, front one I think, wore out last year I think, bike is 2010 with 127k ish. Rear one still works.
    Been doing a bit of reading online it might be because I left battery disconnected for a month or more and needs a simple rebooting to reconnect RCD to sensors or I have both sensors flat at same time and in need of a battery replacement and it seems easier to replace your own batteries than buy new sensors (no need to go to dealer to sink bike to new sensors)
    Will have a go

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    GS911 will also do it I believe, unless you need the super duper tool that wakes the units. Definitely be careful leaving the modern bike batteries disconnected. A lot of electronics going on and they don't like not having power.

I've stopped visiting the dealers and now use Deano, an ex BMW tech. https://www.thebmshop.nz/

Replacing the batteries is a little more tricky as they're sealed into the units, you need the right batteries with the tab etc. Something I'll play with as I kept the original unit that came out of the wheel. Unlike the latest wethead updates, the camheads (and probably the oil heads) allow for 2 sensors per end (ie, 2 sets of wheels).

Bike
    GS911 will also do it I believe, unless you need the super duper tool that wakes the units. Definitely be careful leaving the modern bike batteries disconnected. A lot of electronics going on and they don't like not having power.

I've stopped visiting the dealers and now use Deano, an ex BMW tech. https://www.thebmshop.nz/

Replacing the batteries is a little more tricky as they're sealed into the units, you need the right batteries with the tab etc. Something I'll play with as I kept the original unit that came out of the wheel. Unlike the latest wethead updates, the camheads (and probably the oil heads) allow for 2 sensors per end (ie, 2 sets of wheels).
    Thanks for that info . I had a look at Deano's web site you sent ,he sounds like a good guy to know I have often driven past his shop a number of times and wondered about him .
    Looking at the You tubes on battery replacement it seems like they are having success with just soldering an off the shelf battery its just a standard lithium battery and gluing the back up . defiantly worth a go.

I think I meet you on mid winter madness ride 3 or so years back you where selling your GSA then if this is you ,you kept it? I was on a blue GS

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I think I meet you on mid winter madness ride 3 or so years back you where selling your GSA then if this is you ,you kept it? I was on a blue GS
    I did the 2012 MMMMM ride (fark, tis a wee while ago). No, definitely haven't made any move to sell and don't plan to. Most likely to run it into the ground and buy another camhead as I've got custom bits that only fit the 2010-2013 R1200GSA amongst other mods.

Deano is a great guy, ex BMW NZ and ex Experience, plus you're supporting him direct.

Bike
    I did the 2012 MMMMM ride (fark, tis a wee while ago). No, definitely haven't made any move to sell and don't plan to. Most likely to run it into the ground and buy another camhead as I've got custom bits that only fit the 2010-2013 R1200GSA amongst other mods.

Deano is a great guy, ex BMW NZ and ex Experience, plus you're supporting him direct.
    Yep Then I think you should have your GSA for a long time then, I imagine if stored in a shed these bikes should do 300,000km plus with little effort.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc

was this you Gremlin?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	873.6 KB 
ID:	332137
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    was this you Gremlin?
    Yeup! (and still is me)

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Yep Then I think you should have your GSA for a long time then, I imagine if stored in a shed these bikes should do 300,000km plus with little effort.
    Ah - not without lots of coin replacing bits. They don't get fixed with your favorite hammer like the old ones.

Go on, ask a honest owner with decent kms on them what they have cost ....

Does not stop them from being good bikes, like anything now days they are complex. Includes modern women. Very complex.

Thread Information