Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changing from 2 bikes to 1 bike + 1 car

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Yes, I HAD the dosh, now I don't. Cash poor then?
    I had money in the bank, then I got $7k for my ST1300 and banked that - giving me even more money. I traded the DR650 and as well as the trade-in I also had to pour all the money from my bank account into theirs. The following week I received a fortnight's pay and paid the insurance premium, leaving me still cash poor.

This week coming up I'll receive another fortnight's pay, I might buy a pair of 50/50 tyres so I can go gravel riding. I'll still have next to nothing in the bank. On Monday I'm taking the bike into work so I can head into Honda Hamilton after work and get its first (1,000km) service done. Between the service & the tyres I won't have much spare money from this pay packet.
    I hear you. I have a couple of Beemers in the garage, and I feel poor when I pay for licences, services, tyres etc.

I'm looking forward to a play on a DCT when I can. Sounds cool.

Probably 2 - 3 years from now I'll have an E-Car. Intrigues me. Good on you for being an early adopter.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I just went on a wee ride from home (Morrinsville) - Paeroa - Waihi - Whangamata - Kopu - Home. Waihi - Whangamata and Whangamata - Kopu were the best bits, lots of fun through the twisties!

Personally, I find riding through the twisties to be more engaging while concentrating on brakes & throttle, the road ahead and my speed - not having to worry about changing gears at all. I switched to S3 mode for the twisties, to get better power out of the corners and engine braking into the corners. The DCT was happy to forget that 6th gear existed (don't really need it below 200kph) and spent some time in 2nd, 3rd & 4th through the fun twisty corners. I felt more focused with the clutch and gears handled by the computer, while I just rode the bike. There were times I wanted to overtake and in anticipation I dabbed on the 'change down' button with my thumb 2 or 3 times, followed by a twist of the wrist - you don't want to take too long on the wrong side of the road when the straights are short and more corners are up ahead.

On this ride I didn't once reach for the non-existent clutch lever, so I guess I'm getting used to the bike. I also managed to not turn on my hazards when going to start the bike - the hazard switch is where the start button was on my previous bikes, the kill switch has the starter integrated. This kill switch is actually better, you can't try to start the bike while forgetting that the kill switch is in the wrong position because it automatically moves into the right position when you go to activate the starter.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Geez I bet it's such a change from the barge that was the ST. Joy of motorcycling again.
    Now you just need that Aprilia RS250 for the next step.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Geez I bet it's such a change from the barge that was the ST. Joy of motorcycling again.
    Now you just need that Aprilia RS250 for the next step.
    Actually the ST1300 was quite fun in the twisties too. It never felt as heavy as it was and it had a ton of torque to pull it out of each corner. That being said, I think I enjoy riding the AT more. I definitely enjoyed today's wee blat. This morning I had swapped over the foot pegs for a pair of Black Dog pegs, giving me a MUCH improved platform for my feet. I also fitted Rox Risers which had just arrived today - got my handlebars very nicely positioned for great ergos.

I was definitely doing some 'spirited' riding. I overtook a lot of vehicles while never being overtaken myself. Maybe at some point I should consider investing in a radar detector . . .
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Weight doesnt really make a huge difference in handling at speed. My RT, and even a K1600GTL I rode once, were bkth very flickable. It's more about the confidence of the rider.

The DCT has one of those tip tronic options, doesn't it? I think I'd miss engine braking if it hasn't got that.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The DCT has one of those tip tronic options, doesn't it? I think I'd miss engine braking if it hasn't got that.
    Yep, you can switch to manual and use the buttons on the left side to change up/down. You can also select S1, S2 or S3 for the 3 levels of sporty mode auto, they will hold you in lower gears which provides good engine braking.

In S3, with wide open throttle, the bike will hold in 3rd until 140kph - if you then slam the throttle closed it will stay in 3rd with great engine braking. This isn't like the auto trans of a car, this is a smart computer deciding based on how you are riding, just what gear to be in. You can also choose to gear down by pressing the gear down button, even if in D, S1, S2 or S3 - you don't have to be in Manual mode to use the gear up/down buttons. If you want more engine braking then just tell the computer to drop it down a gear.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    my little pony
    Have you gone for the parking brake lever as a clutch yet, it can have interesting results.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    Have you gone for the parking brake lever as a clutch yet, it can have interesting results.
    I haven't done that. I don't think it would be all that common, the parking brake is quite a bit forward of where a clutch lever would be, you really have to stretch out the clutch hand to reach the parking brake. The parking brake doesn't lock-on when you pull it, I would expect someone that accidentally pulled that would feel the rear brake coming on and quickly release it.

I did however, just once mind you, in the car do exactly that. Slowing down for a stop sign I went to put my foot on the clutch, but my car doesn't have a clutch. What it does have is a foot operated parking brake in the position that a clutch pedal would normally be in. The older Leaf has a hand operated electric brake and so does the new 2018 model, it is just the 2013-2017 model that has the foot operated parking brake.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Thread Information