Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 1987 Suzuki Impulse GSX 400 X GK71E Restoration

Bike
    Exercycle
    Hadn't looked at this for yonks. the pics of your wheels (nice...) brought back memories. Years back I got asked to participate in an evening for the BEARS club guys. Idea was to bring them up to date with new rules for scrutineering purposes. A couple of the example bikes there had impulse wheels fitted. Well, they were easily available 17's...and cheap.
    I pointed out that they had wheel bearings on close centers - which on heavy bikes meant they cut out quite quickly.
    One of the bikes there was already a fail with discernable play. An eye opener for some of them.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I pointed out that they had wheel bearings on close centers - which on heavy bikes meant they cut out quite quickly.
    One of the bikes there was already a fail with discernable play. An eye opener for some of them.
    Is there enough meat left to pack the bearings out?
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 27th May 2021 at 19:56.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    The wheel bearings are ball-bearing drew.......How do you pack them out?

Hadn't looked at this for yonks. the pics of your wheels (nice...) brought back memories. Years back I got asked to participate in an evening for the BEARS club guys. Idea was to bring them up to date with new rules for scrutineering purposes. A couple of the example bikes there had impulse wheels fitted. Well, they were easily available 17's...and cheap.
    Funny i was thinking of that same story you had said before when i seen the impulse.
    Mid 90's Yamahas had tiny bearings and axels i have no idea why they had so small axels then as they made them smaller from the 70-80's 15mm on a FZR1000 or FJ1100 wtf
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Look at the pics. They finish up flush with the outer surface of the housings.
    Last time I went to a BEARS meeting I think there were still a couple of Nortons using Impulse wheels.

Bike
    XT660r
    Look at the pics. They finish up flush with the outer surface of the housings.
    Last time I went to a BEARS meeting I think there were still a couple of Nortons using Impulse wheels.
    They are a easy retro fit to FXR150 for bucket racing too, fit 125 slicks.
    Dale Kerrigan: If there's anything Dad loved more than serenity, it was a big two stroke engine on full throttle!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    But they are somewhat boat anchor heavy. Like really heavy.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Quote Originally Posted by RDjase View Post
    They are a easy retro fit to FXR150 for bucket racing too, fit 125 slicks.
    They fit pretty easily onto RG400/ 500s as well. Yes, the razor blade rims of the Impulse are actually wider than the "GP replica" 500cc 2 stroke stock rims.
    There is a Facebook group for Impulse owners that gets a reasonable amount of traffic.
    I was tempted to buy an Impulse for old times sake on Trademe a while back. It hadn't actually dropped much in value from what I remember them selling for new back in the day.
    Geoff
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Thread Information