Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 Suzuki Impulse GSX 400 X GK71E Restoration

Bike
    1987 Suzuki Impulse GSX 400 X GK71E

1987 Suzuki Impulse GSX 400 X GK71E Restoration

Hello, starting a restoration on an Impulse. If anyone has experience working on these bikes I would be grateful to hear any tips or information regarding a restoration on one of these. I have very little information but would like to see this bike on the road again as there are not too many of them. Also looking for parts. Great bike from the 80s. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Centre detail right side.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	547.3 KB 
ID:	332148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine top cable arrangement.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	531.6 KB 
ID:	332149  

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Great bike from the 80s. Thanks in advance.
    we called them insults and impacts, they were hideous things, and still are!

Bike
    motocompo
    Hi, I have a gk71b & a genuine Suzuki service manual for one. The engines are near enough the same. If you want to know any specifics let me know.
    Warning, they are a total party on wheels, I can't ride mine without bouncing it off the limiter a few times every time.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    we called them insults and impacts, they were hideous things, and still are!
    Well there's some encouragement for your restoration, hope that helps.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    You've done restoration work on other bikes before? Just checking before offering any advice.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    My mate bought one of those new, they were pretty cheap for a new bike and great fun when we were young fullas

(though I recall it didn't last very long once we started to really ring its neck... )
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    My mate bought one of those new, they were pretty cheap for a new bike and great fun when we were young fullas

(though I recall it didn't last very long once we started to really ring its neck... )
    Approx one and a half seasons use using 16000 rpm before the rods break....I told the guy not to buy an ex Rob Lewis racebike.
    They were the go-to bike for club racing in the first few seasons of F3. Used to be loads of them, rare as now.

I once took one of them out to 500cc using CBX550 liners and pistons for a F500 speedway car, went OK too.

Bike
    husaberg
    The thing i remember most about the impusle's was the smell of their cooked stators.................
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    motocompo
    Maybe this would be worth buying , either for parts, or the main resto bike.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1381591821
    It probably won't go for a lot.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Well there's some encouragement for your restoration, hope that helps.
    history has often favoured the ugly duckling.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Fucking moaners.

If I remember correctly they were $3999 brand spanking new. Suzuki sold heaps of them. Sportier and cheaper than a farty old 450 twin Suzuki, CB400 twin (fat, slow, boring) or old fashioned GB400 Honda. Can't remember Yamahas 400 of the day - old fashioned SR500 probably or XS400 twin. Kawasaki had the Z400/440 at the time (I owned a 440).

Yep the Suzuki was bright, fresh and screamed it's little guts off into many peoples hearts.

Restro? Questionable if it has any real value other than memory lane. But there are worse bikes to sink money into.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Fucking moaners.

If I remember correctly they were $3999 brand spanking new. Suzuki sold heaps of them. Sportier and cheaper than a farty old 450 twin Suzuki, CB400 twin (fat, slow, boring) or old fashioned GB400 Honda. Can't remember Yamahas 400 of the day - old fashioned SR500 probably or XS400 twin. Kawasaki had the Z400/440 at the time (I owned a 440).

Yep the Suzuki was bright, fresh and screamed it's little guts off into many peoples hearts.

Restro? Questionable if it has any real value other than memory lane. But there are worse bikes to sink money into.
    The impulses made an appearance here at the same stage as grey imports were starting to arrive on the scene, so their main opposition were the likes of the early CBR400 aero & the the naked CB400F with the vtec head & NS400R, FZ400 & FZR400, and it's own sibling GSXR400 & RG400 etc so it wasn't all roses for the impulse on it's arrival. It was unique with the trellis frame headlight assembly then we got the so called LTD model with the proper bikini fairing.
    Some of the GSXR400's tendencies filtered through to it though

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've got a gk71a gsxr which contains many same parts sitting in purgatory, have to find what is rattling at the front. And hard starting. Sigh. Guess I'd better pull that cam cover off. Really super uninterested. Should get it ready for summer so the owner has her bike back.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I think Suzuki NZ got a whole ship load of bikes that didn't sell in a different market and brought them here (from memory)

There were 2 flavours with mildly different headlight arrangements although most had the funny square light with the ugly little trellis thing. Yes - everyone thrashed them to death and had a ball...

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    We used to call them a Repulse. No idea where Jelly got his names from
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Thread Information