Thread: Calimoto - Android app for route planning

Bike
    2019 BMW S1000XR

Lightbulb Calimoto - Android app for route planning

Has anyone used the Calimoto app before? I managed to stumble across it by chance and have been well impressed with it. It's basically a navigation app built specifically for motorcyclists, it allows you to put in a destination just like Google Maps would and instead of finding the quickest route, it uses some funky algorithm to determine the twistiest roads to your destination while avoiding straights/motorways, etc. - you can also set stops along the way for gas and food, etc. and it takes it in to consideration when planning.

You can also add in the loop mode, where you can choose how many KMs you want to drive and it will calculate a round trip that will take you back to your starting point which is different every time. At the moment it's only available for Android but apparently the iOS version is coming soon. The first set of maps are free, the Auckland one covers of Northland, Auckland and Waikato. You can choose one depending on your location but there are others available for everywhere else for about $30. I think they're just an offline download of all the roads so you can use it where there's no data coverage.

Official site is here if you want a looksie.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by jfnz View Post
    where you can choose how many KMs you want to drive
    one does not drive a motorcycle.

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    No self-respecting motorcyclist owns a fruit phone...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to KiwiBiker.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    KTM
    yeah I got it the other day and it worked really well between Welly and Hastings - set it to also mark out 'Enduro' roads so we hit up a couple of the easier looking gravel roads on the way through.

you can set a 'via' point, so on the way up to Hastings I set martinborough as the via point, and on the way back Palmy, so it forced the route either side of the hill.

The route tracking / planning works well, gives you a good summary of your ride (like any good GPS app would, I suppose)

you can save tracks and rides, and go back to them later.

I'm not sure how good the 'round trip' would work from welly, you pretty much to leave via SH1 or SH2, but once over the hill, closer to levin the options open up a bit.

all in all, worth the $30 if you are a lazy bastard and don't really find pleasure in pouring over maps, and would rather 'just ride'

Bike
    '06 vfr 800 81 GS550 postie
    I've got this really cool app called a Map. You open it and it shows squiggly lines denoting roads. A person of intelligence then gets to select their route. It never goes flat, covers the whole country weighs nothing and is often a conversation starter when meeting other bikers. Honestly, who needs anything else???
    lucky bastard

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Google Maps is free ... and I have a copy of the New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas (no batteries or cell phone coverage required). Bought second hand in an Op shop for $5 which fits inside the clear top portion of my tank bag ...

Seldom is the destination ... more important than the ride itself ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    I downloaded it. If nothing else, it's given me some ideas on where to ride (the loop ride settings are good). I imagine the most I would do is check it for a route then set out, phone firmly ignored in my pocket (I'm off-grid when I ride unless I stop and take it out of my pocket, which I only do if I want to take a photo of the view).
    I also looked at ESR and Cruiser. Not sure if they'll be of any use to me but ESR has a couple of user-input routes and the ability to find other riders. For someone who doesn't have friends with bikes, that might be useful. If I want to interact with anyone else, that is...
    On another thread someone mentioned Rever, but I haven't downloaded that/looked at it.

Bike
    KTM
    Quote Originally Posted by liljegren View Post
    I've got this really cool app called a Map. You open it and it shows squiggly lines denoting roads. A person of intelligence then gets to select their route. It never goes flat, covers the whole country weighs nothing and is often a conversation starter when meeting other bikers. Honestly, who needs anything else???
    A person of intelligence also spends his time wisely.

Cell phones don't run out of battery if you have a 12v socket on your bike.

This app covers the whole country as well, for $30. A similar product in physical form is about the same price (https://www.paperplus.co.nz/book/new...-9781877302923) but goes out of date fairly quickly.

Some dude looking at a map at night in the rain (paper maps aren't waterproof) isn't a conversation starter, it's a cry for help. Perhaps if you enjoy being the damsel in distress that could work for you?

'who needs anything else' ? people who aren't interested in orienteering and would rather actually ride their bike.

Hope this helps.

Bike
    2019 BMW S1000XR
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    I imagine the most I would do is check it for a route then set out, phone firmly ignored in my pocket (I'm off-grid when I ride unless I stop and take it out of my pocket, which I only do if I want to take a photo of the view).
    I fully agree the whole point behind riding for some is that it's an escape from everything. That being said, some have phone mounts on their bike so can see the screen. A Bluetooth headset is also an option as well. I thing the maps are cached on your phone anyway so you could even just use aeroplane mode if you didn't want people bothering you.

Quote Originally Posted by liljegren View Post
    One may argue "people of intelligence" utilise the tools they have available to them and don't necessarily shun technology. Let me guess, you still have a Nokia flip phone?

Thread Information