Thread: New member looking for first bike recommendation, have done a fair amount of research

Bike
    NA

New member looking for first bike recommendation, have done a fair amount of research

Hey guys.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am new to biking and looking for a recommendation for my first bike, I am currently on my restricted license.

I am looking for a Sportyish/Street fighter style bike, specifically I like the look/style of the Yamaha MT-03 or Honda CBR250R.

Here is what I am looking for out of a bike:
    -Low maintenance/reliable (I understand bikes need more maintenance than cars which is fine, but I think it is fair to say I am not very mechanically minded so even small issues would be going to the garage).
    -250-300CC
    -Prefer power in the low end rather than faster top speeds
    -Decent resale value after 2 years
    -Comfortable for 6'0 rider
    -Budget $4000 (stretch to $5000 for the perfect bike)

I would prefer a second hand bike simply because if I drop/scratch it I am not going to be to worried, especially if it already has a couple of scratches. On the other hand you can get some new bikes around my budget that come with a 3 year warranty which would give me great peace of mind the bike isn't going to be constantly in the garage.

At the moment my top choice is a Suzuki GW250 simply because that is the most affordable bike that meets most of what I am after but really keen to hear any other suggestions.

Thanks

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    hayabusa .

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    hayabusa .
    Have you giving Kip McGrath any thought? it might help you understand what you are reading and replying to.

Now to the question at hand, an easy $5K purchase: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1393481083.htm

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by NZZeroFan View Post
    Hey guys.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am new to biking and looking for a recommendation for my first bike, I am currently on my restricted license.

I am looking for a Sportyish/Street fighter style bike, specifically I like the look/style of the Yamaha MT-03 or Honda CBR250R.

Here is what I am looking for out of a bike:
    -Low maintenance/reliable (I understand bikes need more maintenance than cars which is fine, but I think it is fair to say I am not very mechanically minded so even small issues would be going to the garage).
    -250-300CC
    -Prefer power in the low end rather than faster top speeds
    -Decent resale value after 2 years
    -Comfortable for 6'0 rider
    -Budget $4000 (stretch to $5000 for the perfect bike)

I would prefer a second hand bike simply because if I drop/scratch it I am not going to be to worried, especially if it already has a couple of scratches. On the other hand you can get some new bikes around my budget that come with a 3 year warranty which would give me great peace of mind the bike isn't going to be constantly in the garage.

At the moment my top choice is a Suzuki GW250 simply because that is the most affordable bike that meets most of what I am after but really keen to hear any other suggestions.

Thanks
    Looks like you've done great amount of homework! Good on ya, instead of bluntly asking "I gt $4k cash, whts ut thea".

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    hayabusa .
    Don't be silly ... it's a suzuki. He wants reliability ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    test ride before you buy & see which one suits you better
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Looks like you've done great amount of homework! Good on ya, instead of bluntly asking "I gt $4k cash, whts ut thea".
    Also, look at this site: Motorcycle Ergonomics

Put in your 'dimensions' and see what you might be like on the bike.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    A 6 footer on the KTM 390/Honda CBR250 and the MT-03

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Shrek is right though (which is unusual ) always try before you purchase, being cramped on a bike is shit.

Bike
    xt660r
    Having recently been through the Learner process Myself -> Restricted.

have you ridden bikes before? even off-road? recently?

I found a 250 was a good bike to start on, mostly because of the physical size, it was easy to stop in a hurry and get my feet down etc.

having said that, i would not buy anything so small if i had to do it again. only kept it for 12 months, as i got frustrated with the lack of torque etc, and having to rape the poor thing constantly to keep the power useful.

I guess you should just be honest with yourself about what you want to use the bike for, and about your own ability etc. as a beginner, or just riding in town, I think a 250 would be fine, and you can learn a lot, i know i did.
    if you are intending to take longer trips or have ridden a fair bit before hand, i wouldn't bother with something so small, you'll just get pissed off with it. maybe a gs500? still slow, and low, but would be much better for general riding i would think.

it also made a difference that I was a long-time car driver, and rider, so it meant I wasn't having to think about the mechanics of riding, or remembering road rules at the same time as getting used to riding on the road

Bike
    NA
    Thanks so much for your input. I haven't ridden bikes previously so don't want to get anything to big for that reason.

I do agree with you though that I am concerned about growing out for a 250 to quickly. At the moment I am leaning towards to Yamaha MT-03 or KTM Duke 390, I think these have a bit more power so I won't grow out of them so quickly while also being learner friendly enough.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Are you on a Restricted class 6, or class 1? (only asking because you said you haven't ridden bikes before... how did you get your restricted c6 if so?)

Bike
    NA
    Sorry yes restricted class 6 - I took my motorcycle leaners/restricted with a private instructor and borrowed one of his bikes for that. So I have ridden for a total of about 8 hours (7 hours practice and 1 hour test).

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Also, as a newish learner, I went the biggest CC bike I could reasonably afford that was comfortable for me.

I wanted something that could get me OUT of trouble, not only into it.
    I plan on more longer distance riding and didn't want to feel like I was constantly pushing the limits of the bike, with a couple of hours to get home.
    I didn't want to "outgrow" the bike too soon - I wanted something that I could have for at least a couple of years and be perfectly happy with. I know it's not about "keeping up" outside of safe riding, but I wanted to be able to happily ride with whoever I was riding with and not feel like I was being unduly left behind.

Thread Information