Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packs/luggage/bags - what's best?

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09

Packs/luggage/bags - what's best?

I'm looking for various luggage/packs to use with my bike. I need to cover a couple of eventualities and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for brands/options. I don't mind spending a bit or buying piece by piece, I want good quality.

Bike has a Ventura pack rack fitted (currently off, it looks naff). I have a 20L (?) Givi top box, which is currently on the garage floor, propping up a hot water cylinder and stopping it from rolling away... To date I've not had any reason to need to take anything with me on the bike, but commuting without my car is in the very near future (yayyyyy).

First: backpack. Waterproof. To fit lunch, work laptop, change of clothes and shoes, odds and sods, rain suit, for commute to and from work. Would be ideal if it could fit either pants or jacket in it while I was wearing said change of clothes at said place of work, but not essential.

I also need some sort of pack, pannier or luggage type of solution for inter-city travel (about 1.5-2 hours each way). I can take laptop and small things in backpack, so I need to fit clothes for the weekend and any odds and sods (most weeks I end up taking work and personal laptops to and from the big smoke, at the moment I'm carrying at least 3 textbooks as well). I foresee other adventures in the future (ie not just commuting and travelling between home, flat, and work, while lugging my study stuff around).

I'm lusting after a Kriega backpack, is there anything else comparable/better? The Ventura pack-mounted bags are all ugly as sin but I could get over that as I don't have to look at them while I'm riding.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Yes Kriega get good write ups but to be honest I imagine Kathmandu or Macpac would do the same job at 1/2 the price. I have been using Cactus Outdoor backpacks for a while and no issues whatsoever.

Consider leaving work clothes and shoes at work rather than carrying them back and forth.

In the end you will be more comfortable riding without a backpack so while the Ventura looks shit I wouldn't ditch it, there will be times when it does the job perfectly. I had one on one bike and I agree it looks awful but I could cram so much in to it and not worry about how it felt on the shoulders. Bonus was I could strap another backpack to the other side of the frame if it was a big trip.

All permanently fixed luggage looks naff, apart from saddle bags with tassles for some perverted reason.

I have a never used Oxford tail pack sitting around somewhere. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I looked at the fittings, looked at the paint work and put it in the back of the cupboard. Weekends away with a laptop I use a Dell backpack from work, made waterproof through putting the laptop in old New World bags. I have one of those Octopus nets to tie down a holdall to the pillion seat if I have more than my backpack can carry. I have finally come to my senses though and don't take the laptop away at weekends. Life is too short.

Bike
    2012 Fireblade
    I've had Ventura racks on most of my street bikes - yeah theyre ugly but bloody handy. My luggage options range from a couple of bungees on hand for when I dont expect to carry anything, then I have the "baby box" strapped to the rack for usual work day stuff (had the same box for about 30 yrs God knows how many bikes and well over a million kms)
    Have a fairly huge pack for weekends away plus my annual 3 week tour.I keep a few drybags of various colours inside it to keep important stuff safe (and to keep the dirty clothes from irradiating the clean ones)
    I hate panniers - used a soft set once and rubbed them against half the traffic throughout Europe - mirrors are like cats whiskers - they should be the widest part of the bike.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    I got knocked off a bike once while wearing a backpack, just a small one with lunch and a raincoat, and the only damage to me was my back. I blame the pack so I won't do that again.
    Packracks look shithouse but they're easy, and save mucking about with different bungees and stuff.
    Soft panniers are good but they've gotta be tied on well and kept balanced otherwise they creep off (onto the muffler ).
    I like hard panniers, they don't impact on the bikes look or handling too much and hold enough for most times. And any hard luggage is the most waterproof option.
    Hard topboxes look awful and usually can't take much weight without eventually breaking through fatigue and have the greatest effect on handling.
    Recently used a tank bag too and found it surprisingly good.
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Functionality over form for me. I use a lot of hard luggage like Givi or the BMW has it's own panniers.

Hard are generally long lasting, unlikely to wear through, but always a fixed size (or expands/contracts between two sizes). Soft luggage is more likely to change shape to fit a slightly odd sized item, but less likely to be waterproof.

Some hard luggage also has lighting kits, so you can have brake lights in it etc.

I avoid backpacks where possible (or the backpack is in the top box), especially on distance, as one, they can move around, two, there is the potential for the straps to restrict circulation to the arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I know luggage that *I* do not have to carry is best, hence getting the rack fitted to the bike (I have only taken off the top part, not the l-brackets). Not sure if the top box will actually work with the pack rack, haven't looked.

I would prefer to have a dedicated bag (backpack) for work things, so I don't end up locked out because I've forgotten my swipe card. Work commute will be about 20-25 mins so no problem to wear a backpack (I don't take my laptop home if I can avoid it, but do need new clothes every day - corporate job, leathers would be frowned upon). I have a super old Nike backpack which I love but is actually falling apart, if I could find something like it I would but so far no luck.

Currently spending 4 nights a week in Auckland and 3 in Hamilton, working from home 1 day, PLUS studying, so unfortunately laptops both need to come along for the near future.

Will probably do Kriega backpack and Ventura bag for the pack rack, sounds like the most workable solution for now. If the top box works with the pack rack it can go on during the week and the backpack can go in it.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Yes Kriega get good write ups but to be honest I imagine Kathmandu or Macpac would do the same job at 1/2 the price. I have been using Cactus Outdoor backpacks for a while and no issues whatsoever.

Consider leaving work clothes and shoes at work rather than carrying them back and forth.

In the end you will be more comfortable riding without a backpack so while the Ventura looks shit I wouldn't ditch it, there will be times when it does the job perfectly. I had one on one bike and I agree it looks awful but I could cram so much in to it and not worry about how it felt on the shoulders. Bonus was I could strap another backpack to the other side of the frame if it was a big trip.

All permanently fixed luggage looks naff, apart from saddle bags with tassles for some perverted reason.

I have a never used Oxford tail pack sitting around somewhere. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I looked at the fittings, looked at the paint work and put it in the back of the cupboard. Weekends away with a laptop I use a Dell backpack from work, made waterproof through putting the laptop in old New World bags. I have one of those Octopus nets to tie down a holdall to the pillion seat if I have more than my backpack can carry. I have finally come to my senses though and don't take the laptop away at weekends. Life is too short.
    This is good advice. Based on some online reviews and the fact it was secondhand and mint I purchased a Kreiga backpack (25l I think.) I didnt get on with it at all. I think it was too long in the back for me but I never found it comfortable to wear and it was heavy. Faff to get on and off too. I gave it to a mate who has been happily using it as a work bag now for three years he loves it.

I replaced mine first with a macpac daypack (which is brilliant, made of canvas, tough and looks new) but it was a little too small. The other issue (not relevant to you) is that I have been commuting by pushbike and I dont like wearing a backpac on a pushbike because big old sweatpatch, so I bought a Cactus messenger bag. Its the perfect size for lunch, some gym gear, water and all the shit we tend to carry about. The only downside is that it is black canvas and sometimes it can be hard to find what is inside it because its dark - but honestly, that is a quibble.

SWMBO has been rocking a Black Wolf backpack from Rebel Spurt for abot five years commuting by bicycle in all weathers, and that has recently been replaced by an Osprey 22l which I bought but was a bit big.

TL;DR: Kreiga might not be what you want, there are other good options for less money. I recommend Cactus because REALLY good kit plus you are buying something made in NZ and they stand behind their gear. https://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Lots to choose from Ventura ,

https://www.dold.co.nz/products/ventura.aspx#Bike-Pack System

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I know luggage that *I* do not have to carry is best, hence getting the rack fitted to the bike (I have only taken off the top part, not the l-brackets). Not sure if the top box will actually work with the pack rack, haven't looked.

Will probably do Kriega backpack and Ventura bag for the pack rack, sounds like the most workable solution for now. If the top box works with the pack rack it can go on during the week and the backpack can go in it.
    A friend has Ventura brackets converted for fitment of a givi top box.....it isn't a good set-up as the balance points are disturbed from the intended design of both systems....it can be done but isn't a good match.

At least the last dozen bikes I've had have all been fitted with Ventura pack frames, never bothered with the bags as what I've seen of them over many years is that after a reasonably short period of time they look shit & loose their shape and durability.
    A much better option is a GearSack pack...these make the build quality of the Ventura look stupid, the design is basic but they maintain their shape & weather resistance and are made from a much heavier material
    I use a 45lt version and have had it well over a decade and it's seen a lot of kms and still holds it's original shape & is pretty damn water tight and apart from fading of the material has almost no signs of wear

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I had ventura pack rack mounts on the last bike I used for regular commuting, bought one of the sport racks and bolted a pelican type hard case on to it, waterproof and lockable for when you left it parked.

Somewhere in the world I've still got a pair of oxford soft panniers from the previous bike used for longer travelling, they work well as long as the seat can be lifted off to get the straps underneath and there are a couple of suitable attachment points on rear pegs or something to keep them in place, only downside was not being waterproof.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Ventura bracket for a topbox which ive used.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=ve...P_GH2uF2RSxcM:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170219_152257.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	819.3 KB 
ID:	332255  

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There is no 'one size fits all' easy answer, but having tried various solutions I'd suggest you don't throw the Ventura rack away yet.

My first purchase was a Ventura rack but not a Ventura pack, there are better options out there. Carting that in and out of such swanky hostelries as the Chateau Tongagriro made me think there might be a more elegant solution.

I also had a tank bag on the bike then but a gravel chip got wedged between the bag and the tank. It made a mess but a skilled painter buffed it out. The tank bag has sat neglected ever since. The radar detector has been mounted in the middle of the tank since then to stop me even being tempted.

On the next bike I had Givi hard cases (V35?) fitted with the optional inner bags. The boxes stay on the bike and you just take the soft bags into the motel. The down side of this setup made itself apparent when trying to ride from Porirua to the ferry terminal one wet morning. The traffic was moving at 25kph and the bike with boxes was too wide to lane split. I only just made the ferry. When you are greeted by name that's a good hint that you are the last passenger to arrive.

Givi did not offer hard cases for the Ducati so I bought the soft luggage option. It looks OK unexpanded, but when fully expanded for touring it looks fucking stupid. Because I already had them I've also used them on the Triumph, but I don't really like them.

I can't see me wanting to tour so much in future but, all things considered, if I was to fit out another bike I'd be starting by looking at a Venture bike rack again. One hint: if you are riding solo with a pack rack, the pack should be on "back to front" - ie sitting on the pillion seat. That provides the correct weight distribution.

A small Kriega tail pack has appeal for the hat, sunglasses, and ham sandwich sort of thing, but I haven't quite been moved to order one yet.

Top boxes are extremely useful but I really dislike the way they look. Using one as a wedge for a hot water cylinder seems perfect.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Pritch, what bag options would you suggest as better than the Ventura ones? I will use the rack for sure - mostly for the weekend/inter-city travel. Though it would be nice to have a secure option I can park close enough to work that carting a bag inside won't be a problem. Plenty of other riders in the office: helmets and gear get put onto the appropriate shelves and coat racks during the day. Just can't wear my leathers all day

Bike
    A
    From what you describe in terms of use/needs, I'd be looking at options from GIVI. I'd guess the V35 panniers would be big enough for laptop etc. Yes a top box is not ideal, but it's practical as it keeps stuff secure and dry.

The Ventura stuff is a bit meh, yes I use their pack frame and pack on my Busa, but it's best described as functional. Pretty or overly durable it ain't. Have used Givi stuff before, and happy with it.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Pritch, what bag options would you suggest as better than the Ventura ones? I will use the rack for sure - mostly for the weekend/inter-city travel. Though it would be nice to have a secure option I can park close enough to work that carting a bag inside won't be a problem. Plenty of other riders in the office: helmets and gear get put onto the appropriate shelves and coat racks during the day. Just can't wear my leathers all day
    Mine was an RJays, it was over ten years ago so I don't know if they still make them. Ii was big, I could get a full 9KG gas bottle in that. The guys at the bike shop put me off Ventura. They would have got me one but they didn't recommend them.

Was like this: https://www.bikebiz.com.au/rjays-rja...rer-rack-bag-2

T.W.R recommends Gear Sack brand in this thread. I have never heard of them but would look it up based on his recommendation. There may be others and if all else fails there is still Ventura.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information