Thread: lower fork bolt keeps turning- solution for VFR800

Bike
    Several old ones

lower fork bolt keeps turning- solution for VFR800

OK you have the forks out of the bike, and you want to change the seals therefore need to get the lower fork bolt removed, it either comes out easily or wont budge, or keeps turning, I have had all the situations above, the most frustrating is the turning bolt that wont come undone.

This is how I fixed it after hours of trying all methods.
    Get a mate to help
    1) Strip the cap of the top of the fork, drain oil, remove the spring and washers etc so you are left with is the rod and nut sticking out.
    2) What you need to do now is get the rod in alot tension to the lower part of the fork. ie like trying to pull it out.
    3) lay fork flat on a bench
    3) Get a block off wood that stops the lower part of the fork moving forward.
    4) Get an adjustable wrench 12 inch + and fit in behind the nut on the end of the rod.
    5) now get another piece of wood and cut to a length that will jam between the nut and the other block of wood this acts as a brace for the wrench to act as a fulcrum , so you can lever alot of tension into the rod. Allow about 10mm gap so the wrench (lever) can fit behind the nut.
    6) pull hard on the wrench, this will put alot of tension on the lower nut.
    7) your helper then uses a rachet gun or drill to remove the nut.

Worked a treat for me.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I find leaving the fork leg clamped in the crowns, spanner on the caliper mount then hit it with a rattle gun works a treat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Several old ones
    Yes I always loosen the lower bolt when still in compression in the bike, ie. after the wheel is removed of course.
    Both came loose, but once out of the bike only one came undone.
    I compressed the fork to try and get it out but this had no effect, bolt kept turning.
    I didnt have a air powered rattle gun but used an electric impact driver, no use

As above only when in tension would it come out.
    I have used the option you state , and the workshops do the same, I suppose it depends on the bolt and damper set up

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    OK you have the forks out of the bike, and you want to change the seals therefore need to get the lower fork bolt removed, it either comes out easily or wont budge, or keeps turning, I have had all the situations above, the most frustrating is the turning bolt that wont come undone.

This is how I fixed it after hours of trying all methods.
    Get a mate to help
    Get a mate that actually knows what they're doing. It'll save you lots of $'s.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I find leaving the fork leg clamped in the crowns, spanner on the caliper mount then hit it with a rattle gun works a treat.
    You're on the wrong page mate.

Thread Information